Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with emissions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with emissions

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum and the Toyota world. I recently purchased a 1991 4x4 pickup in pretty decent shape considering the years.
The previous stated it would pass emissions fine as long as I unplugged the line running to the egr vacuum modulator. I'm working on
a few things on the truck this weekend and would like to know of a root cause as to why it would fail connected but pass disconnected.
any help would be appreciated. Oh and the engine is the 22re

thanks
Old 03-18-2017, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Couple questions.
What state are you trying to pass emissions in?
Does your EGR have an electronic connector on it.

If you're in CA, they are going to look at that vac line. They look at everything and know what to look for. If you have that connector, which my 89 3VZE does not, it will tattle on you that your EGR is not functional.

That information is just FYI because you are going to send dirtier exhaust down the line without that line hooked up. Without that vacuum signal, your egr is not going to open and feed anything back through the engine for further emission reduction. Kind sounds like a load of bull to me. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong. We don't have smog tests here in AR so my EGR is in a box in my shed. The exhaust smells slightly stronger since I removed it. For those of you who might criticize me for that move, I drive it all of 500 miles a year and I facilitated the plantation of over a million trees last year so I have extra carbon credits.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:32 PM

It's TN so they shouldn't hook up to obd unti 1995 or older, unless something has changed with the testing procedures. No judgement here on the egr
removal lol.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2017, 07:11 AM

If they test it at idle speed then the egr shouldn't even be an issue but I bet they shower down on it. I guess you could go and try to pass it. I think they'll tell you how out of spec you are if you fail. You can make repairs afterward if necessary. Not sure what it'll cost to have it inspected.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:46 AM

It's 9 or 10 bucks to test the first time,and Free to retest if I fail. I may get a temp tag and fail it to see how bad it is.
I will post the results
Old 03-19-2017, 09:22 AM

You may not fail it. Fill it up with good, clean, high test fuel. That won't help much but neither will a functioning egr valve. Maybe they will offset each other just enough. I know in Louisiana, Uncle Buck could pass a smog test if he went to the right place and said the right thing to the tech. I've met several inspectors down there who are big fans of Andrew Jackson.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:31 PM

Hello All, sorry work has been busy. The hose in question isn't tied into the egr but the EFI and the line runs back to the other side of the efi. To further puzzle my self this isn't identified in any schematic I can find. Die anyone know what this is?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2017, 04:34 PM

Sorry, the hose in question has green tape on it.