Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help on difference between old & new 3vze!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help on difference between old & new 3vze!!!

Hi There,
First off, thank you to all who contribute to this site, Im pretty new here but have already found so much info that has helped me with my first swap out.
I am doing a long block replace on my blown 3vze on a 94 4x4 ext cab pickup, However, the refurbed block that was sent to me i just found out must be older as there was no place to put my hydraulic t belt tensioner...bummer, I thought maybe they switched the heads as there looked like threads on the opposite back that looked correct, however they (motor time in ca) told me that it was impossible, and that I need to buy a springed tensioner. Im really glad they asked my about that when I purchased the engine...seems pretty important no, two different model engines?

anyways, ive searched all the threads I could find here and have gathered all the info I can (some say switched heads, some say new tensioner), but now I have some questions.

My questions are:

1) so I need to buy?? spring bracket, spring, spring tension idler, some kind of pin/bolt to connect it all to the ???? block or water pump???

2) If I have to connect the bracket to my water pump do I need a different water pump than the one for my 94 (its brand new)??

3) It Seems like I have maybe seen two versions of the spring type tensioners on here, one that pulls up towards the head, and one that pulls towards the h2o pump, is this true, if so, which one should I get. ( I think I now have a 90 block)

4) are the engine mounts different?

5) is the power steer pump mount different, Im having a hard time finding mounts for it (girlfriend lost camera with all my pics)?

6) can I still use my old 94 fan bracket mount and just not install the hydraulic tensioner piece?

7) is there anything else that wont work when putting all my 94 garbage back on to the older block/head.

I know these are a lot of questions, and appreciate any input.

happy wheelin!

JP
Chico, ca
Old 12-04-2008, 03:13 PM

I wouldn't recomend it ,but Dad and I modified the cyl head for this very problem.I would return it and get the correct engine.If that is not possible then you'll have to buy all the spring tensioner parts.I think the pump will work with slight mods.Engine mounts are the same.PS is the same.The fan bracket is where you will need to mod the pump.(I think!I'm going off memory alone)
Bigblock
Old 12-04-2008, 04:10 PM

I don't understand how they sold you the wrong longblock if you told them what year and model you have. I'd talk to the rebuilder and try to work it out with them.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The engine block is exactly the same from 89-95 on all V6 trucks and 4Runners. The difference is in the heads. If they sold you an engine from a 1990, you will need a new fan support, tensioner bearing, tensioner spring, and the bolt to hold it.

I would be taking the engine back and making them give you the correct parts