86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help deciding

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help deciding

Ok guys been a while since I post much less commented...life got pretty busy.
Here is my questions, replace engine or fix the old? It's to the point where the family almost wants me to sell the truck.

I have the death rattle, pretty sure a blown head gasket, if I remove the oil cap while the engine is running it acts like it has a vacuum leak and dies, its been over heating(not boiling just really warm) a lot lately, and my fuel mileage sucks bad.

Now here is the part where I need opinions and advice? Ask anything or point me in the right directions, I did do a search on all the topics but the blow-by vacuum problem I cant seem to find anything on.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i bealive it happens with everybody's truck, u pull oil cap it either blows ridiculous amounts of oil or creates a vacuum and dies...there was like a 300 page thread on this lol....

the 22R is a fairly simple motor to rebuild, with some knowledge and mechanical ability it can be rebuilt fairly cheap (depending on your mods and tools)..

if your not comfortable doing to rebuild yourself but still have mechanical ability ide suggest finding a good reputable machine shop, pull the motor yourself, and tear it down to longblock form (head and everything attached) and have it rebuilt..

dont have the time? then possibly source a longblock (Oregon rebuilders?) is a good one, and pull your motor and swap accessories, head, intake ext...
Old 09-11-2011, 11:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yoterr
i bealive it happens with everybody's truck, u pull oil cap it either blows ridiculous amounts of oil or creates a vacuum and dies...there was like a 300 page thread on this lol....

the 22R is a fairly simple motor to rebuild, with some knowledge and mechanical ability it can be rebuilt fairly cheap (depending on your mods and tools)..

if your not comfortable doing to rebuild yourself but still have mechanical ability ide suggest finding a good reputable machine shop, pull the motor yourself, and tear it down to longblock form (head and everything attached) and have it rebuilt..

dont have the time? then possibly source a longblock (Oregon rebuilders?) is a good one, and pull your motor and swap accessories, head, intake ext...

Fink
Old 09-11-2011, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by yoterr

I have most of the tools and the time to do the rebuild, 12 weeks, but don't know if its worth the time and energy to do it