86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help with audio for 94 Ex Cab pickup

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with audio for 94 Ex Cab pickup

Hey guys I searched around and found some things that helped me but anyway I need some more help. I want to get my audio really sounding good so far I have replaced the factory cassett deck with a Kenwood Cd player and I switched out the 4" oem dash speakers for 4" Infinity reference's now comes the part where I need some advice/help I want more bass not alot just enough to make a well rounded set-up i thought about 6x9's in boxes just sitting in the back but I thought it would look cleaner custom fitting them into either the side storage compartments or the ones under the flip down seats how hard would this be and what tools would I need to cut the holes or is there another set-up that I could go with that would eliminate cutting into things all together without sacrificing the space too much? any info you guys could share would be great and any pics would be even better
Old 09-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Personally I would'nt put the speakers in the floor under the flip down seats partly because you would potentially loose access to your tire change tools and you would render the rear seats unusable but also because facing up like that the speakers could be damaged very easily. also you would loose a great palce to hide the amp later...
If you can stand loosing the side bins that would be the location... when you selected the 4 speaker stereo option at the dealer they replaced the side bin door with a speaker/grill combo... just remeber to line the bin with speaker foam or some thing like that...
I'm working on a custom box for the rear of my 94 now but it will take a while...
Old 09-04-2007, 11:26 AM

So your saying that if I wanted to I could go to the dealer and get the speaker mount and grill to go where the little compartment doors are now?? and then i could mount speakers
Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 8 inch bandpass and a little 200 amp under my rear seat , sound is pretty good with 6x9's on the side in the rear and 6 in the doors.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI: the Infinity Kappa series are MUCH better than the Reference (with associate price difference!)

System details are in my sig...

I'm also running Pioneer component tweeters in the top of the dash & 4" Pioneer coaxials in the lower dash, driving both those directly from the head unit (this head was not sold in the U.S.A.; it retailed for $1,000.00 back in 1997 and STILL kicks the @$$ of every head unit I've heard). Total system power is appproximately 1,500 VERY clean watts. I have a Kenwood 10-disc changer behind the passenger seat as well.

Last edited by TNRabbit; 09-05-2007 at 02:58 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:42 AM

How did you go about putting the speakers on top of the dash could i see some pics?
Old 09-05-2007, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Gavy
How did you go about putting the speakers on top of the dash could i see some pics?
My camera is broken so no pics right now. They are the component tweeters I just ran the wires around the side of the dash from the crossover which is placed behind the lower speakers. The tweeters sit in the dash (reflect right off the windshield & sound very natural) right next to the windshield about 2" from the sides.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 AM

Attachment 67881
'93 Extra-cab, 6 1/2" Polks

Last edited by fastkevman; 11-21-2007 at 04:41 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:29 AM

Hey fastkevman thats exactly what i'm looking to do what meterials do I need to go about doing something like that ??
Old 09-05-2007, 04:46 AM

My installation is 1/4" Plexiglass from Home Depot(you can use upholstered wood also), stainless steel button-head bolts and nuts, and it has green neon behind the speakers.
I used the side covers to trace out the shape I needed on the plexiglass.
You can cut it with a saw or Dremel tool.
I laid out the speaker hole and used a Dremel to cut that.
I then laid out and drilled all the outer holes for the bolts, you want to drill these with progressively bigger bits, start out very small so you don't fracture the Plexiglass.
I then laid out and drilled the speaker bolt holes, these holes I then tapped for the size bolts I wanted to use (if using wood they make threaded inserts that are very easy to install).
I then applied a thick self-adhesive foam seal around the entire edge that the bolts go through so they are also sealed.
Its probably a little overkill but, it sounds awesome!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:50 AM

Hey thanks alot man that helps me out
Old 09-05-2007, 04:55 AM

No problem, gives you some idea as to one route you can take.
Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2007, 05:25 AM

I could swear we just had a thread that looked exactly like this 3 days ago. Anyway, I'll say here what I said there. I took a piece of wood, like 1/2" x 8" or so, cut out a hole for the 6x9, cut the "top" and "bottom" edges at 45* angle, found some carpet to match the interior of the truck, and fit it in where the floor goes up to form the cargo compartments and rear seat bench.

I don't have that truck anymore, so can't really offer any pictures.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Gavy
So your saying that if I wanted to I could go to the dealer and get the speaker mount and grill to go where the little compartment doors are now?? and then i could mount speakers
I'd expect so I have'nt looked into it myself, the part would probably have to be shipped from the california parts depot... according the last dealer I spoke to most of the mech. parts are stocked here but body parts are not anymore so you'd be looking at about a 5 biz. day wait, no extra cost though.
The grill plate was nothing special though as I recall... the "fins" were about the same size as the front speakers and the opening was for a 6x9 if I remember right. I know they were available on 90-92s and I believe they were available up to the end of the model in 95.

some other posts here have some really good looking alternatives if you decide not to go "stock".
Prost Aviator
Old 09-05-2007, 08:33 AM

I always wanted to put a 8in subwoofer in one of the storage compartments in the extended cab portion. I haven't checked to see if it would fit. But for sure no cutting and a flush fit so I can still use the seats.

Right now I have two 6.5in pioneer coaxials on particle boards fitted into the side storage compartments. The particle boards were cheap and easy to upholster with speakerbox material. Apply sound deadening material on the extended cab portion near the speakers like I did to avoid rattling at high volume.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

One of the shallow fit type 8" would fit under the seat on the driver side but boxing it in would be a RPITA ...
[Royal PITA... did I just coin a new e-net acronym? hmmm thats one for me hahaha]

to continue... you also might have to get the bottom of the seat contoured unless you recessed the speaker and maybe somekind of switch to shut of the signal to the speaker when the seat is down/some one sitting on it to prevent possible damage to the speaker [from not being able to move the air properly]

on the other hand it might be posible to fab up a drop in box to fit the panel opening but you would be best to talk to a car audio professional for this as there are engineering concerns re:box volume and venting and such...
let us know how it works out
aviator
Old 09-06-2007, 07:06 AM

i know exactly what your dealing with, except mines an 04 ext cab. ive got component polks in the front, not sure of the size, but they are 6.5 or something close, and then more 6.5's in the back, but just coaxil in the back.

however, going from my old truck with 2 4in reference speakers and a 10inch woofer, i needed my bass fix. ive got some fancy alpine head unit now, and its got all sortsa weird settings, most of which i have no clue how to change, but i finally figured out the whole bass thing. i took my 10, hooked it up, and set the truck box that used to fit right behind my seat right in the middle.

now, it kinda takes up room i dont want it taking up. as far as the under the seat stuff goes, i dont want to get involved in all that work. sooo, ive decided when the money and approval comes, im going to build a custom box. it will start with a base on the center hump in the back and will be a support for a box that sits up about 6 inches above the seats. this will allow the seats belts to remain functional on both sides, and will allow any sized woofer i want. i was personally thinkin a polk 15, but... you did say just enough bass, so im thinkin you may be more interested in a 10 inch woofer. as long as you get a high quality woofer and amp, you will be thoroughly impressed with the depth it can give your music.

recommendation, go with a rockford fosgate punch 10 inch woofer. mine, even now, can pound like crazy, but i can also turn it down and just get that extra depth and whole new level of music. its great.

i love bass. lol. yea.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 AM

Here's a pic of my setup, hope it helps.

Cheers.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by crowley84

Here's a pic of my setup, hope it helps.

Cheers.
I like it...nice and clean.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:34 AM

Man I need a setup like Crowley 84... When i bought my truck speakers were just stashed behind those panels with some poor cut outs. It looks really bad.

Quick Reply: Help with audio for 94 Ex Cab pickup