Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help! 94 4runner SR5 gets warm/hot after 20-30min of driving

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! 94 4runner SR5 gets warm/hot after 20-30min of driving

I recently picked up a 94 4runner SR5 4x4 and have been having a world of trouble with it and a lot has been done to it. Currently it's been overheating after about 20-30min of driving. The story is below...

And before I start, I'll say I am a Toyota truck lover but not mechanically inclined, however I'm learning a lot! Here's a quick rundown:

Two days after getting the truck it overheated, steaming from the back passenger side of the engine. My mech said it was a heater core hose so I had him replace that and change the oil/check fluids. Fan works FYI.

Another day or two and it starts leaking fluid and overheats again, steaming from the same area. Fluid looked rusty too. So I take it to a place recommended to me and they change some hoses, oil gaskets, radiator cap and 'supposedly' changed the thermostat, but it doesn't look like it's been touched. In the end, these guys said they couldn't figure it out and said it kept overheating. However, it was not leaking, started better and appeared to run better than before...what??

Now a little confused I call one more guy who is a very reputable mobile mechanic...and he finds an unplugged sensor wire (???) and shows me my upper rad hose is blowing up like a balloon and needs replacing. He couldn't find anything wrong other than the hose and the unplugged wire, which he plugged back in.

So I drive it another day or two, just around the house, and the upper rad hose blows and it of course overheats. So I replaced that myself, it got hot again, I topped off the coolant and then it started running ok. But now, after 25 or so minutes, when the engine is fully warm, the temp starts to creep up above middle and slowly moves up. I haven't let it go all the way to red by either cutting it off and letting it cool a while or running the heater until I got home. The first time I thought I had an air pocket so I let it sit a few days then ran it with the radiator cap off to attempt to get any air out and topped off the coolant which had gone down slightly.

Since then it's ran fine around the house on short trips but still starts getting warm-hot after running for 20-30min.

Ideas? I posted on another forum and got some response....most suggested changing the thermostat, which I suspect was never replaced despite being told so (looks untouched). It was also suggested it could be a heater core issue and that sounds like a beast to assess, don't know if it would be worth my time. My heat and AC work fine if that matters.

I just want to enjoy my 4runner but I haven't even had the chance to!

Thanks in advance,
Marcus
Old 03-05-2014, 03:11 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
you're on your way to a blown headgasket. Monitor coolant level and oil. The 3vz is known for this issue.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh lovely. So this is a symptom of that? I monitor the coolant and oil as it is. Anything preventative I can do?