86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP, 94 4cyl won't crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP, 94 4cyl won't crank

I have a 94 pickup 4cyl 4wd was sitting with the truck running, and it just cut off by itself. We thought it was just that I needed a new terminal, put that on there, jumped the vehicle and it cranked fine. Cut it off, cranked fine again. Went to pull off and vehicle shut off when I gave it gas. Now it starts to turn over, then it just stops, while holding the ignition. When I turn my lights on they are dimming, and the lights inside on dash are getting dimmer then brighter. Any ideas where to start checking things?

thanks in advance!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
You will (you've already figured this out) need a multimeter. Start with checking the battery voltage; it's temperature dependent, but a charged battery is around 12.6v. If down around 12.2v, you'll need to charge it.

The failure to crank is probably not related to the engine cutting off, unless it is a matter of the battery connection going bad. How did you know which terminal to replace? How did you know which end of the wire had the bad terminal?
Old 02-10-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
You will (you've already figured this out) need a multimeter. Start with checking the battery voltage; it's temperature dependent, but a charged battery is around 12.6v. If down around 12.2v, you'll need to charge it.

The failure to crank is probably not related to the engine cutting off, unless it is a matter of the battery connection going bad. How did you know which terminal to replace? How did you know which end of the wire had the bad terminal?

well the positive had completely came off that's how we knew to replace it