Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

HELP! 87 22re Wont Start HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP! 87 22re Wont Start HELP!

Hello all I hope you can help me out here. My 87 4runner is refusing to start well at least stay started. I've noticed over the past couple months that past about 3,000 rpms there would be a noticeable power loss. Then a couple weeks ago it wouldn't start at all. I've been despeareately trying to get it going again. I was able to get it started by jumping the fuel pump in the Diagnostic box but now even that wont work. I don't know if my problem is in the fuel system or ignition system. It will turn over all day long but just won't Fire.

Right now its showing two codes from the CEL 3 and 6.
According to the FSM 3 is for the ignition signal and they diagnosis it as no signal from IGF four times in succession. Problem areas include Igniter Circuit (+B, IGT, IGF), Igniter, and or ECU

Then 6 is for Rpm Signal (Crank Angle Pulse) the diagnosis is no Ne signal to ECU within cranking, or Ne value being over 1,000 in spite of no Ne signal to ECU. Problem areas include Igniter Circuit, Igniter, Distributor, and ECU

Now I've done all the dumb guy stuff like plugs and wires. I've swapped the Igniter from another truck and still the same problem my next step is the ECU but the FSM warns against that until a last resort. Now what I don't know is I've ran out of gas several times in this truck, because of a broken gauge, would this have anything to do with extra wear and tear on the fuel pump and maybe i'm not getting enough fuel. Maybe the fuel is causing false codes in the ignition system. Oh yeah i'm broke so the least cost is the most effective for me. I've got a whole truck to rob parts from. Any help would be greatly appreciated. and sorry about the long first post just wanted to get it all the info out there.