Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

heat/a/c vents keep falling out!

Old 02-08-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heat/a/c vents keep falling out!

Well, I was trying to get my interior back into shape, earlier this summer my left vent kept coming out of the dash. Travelling up hill --> vent in the lap. I ordered one, and I guess it came out of a blue interior instead of black, or it aged differently.I put it in anyway to see its fitment, and it sat in the pins very loose, there wasn't anything to keep it from sliding around. I decided to pull the other (workingish, no resistance, but it wasn't loose) and broke that one, No idea what broke, but I cannot get my vents to stay in. Old plastic for ya. Anyone know what 'keeps' them? Thanks
Old 02-08-2017, 04:11 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Pictures would help
Old 02-08-2017, 04:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are they being installed into the ducting? Or just sitting in the dash. I'm an older truck guy and the first gen vents fit into the dash as well as the duct from the blower. Tony
Old 02-08-2017, 08:04 PM

Okay, not my pic but here is an example of a 2nd gen runner dash

So so it turns out there are these little keepers:

The other side is missing one
:
Old 02-09-2017, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have not been into the dash of your your truck in a long time, but I think it is just a flat metal tab if I recall correctly.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Oh I remember these now, I didn't do the center vents but expect it's similar to the outer ones. It's a little bushing the spring pins in the vent ride in, they're on your floor or inside the duct or disentigrated to those little bits of plastic shown in the last photo. It is a barn house shaped piece of plastic with square nubs on the outside and holes on the inside for the vent spring pin..

If you can't find them a double or triple layer of copper ground strap bent to a U shape should work.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Oh I remember these now, I didn't do the center vents but expect it's similar to the outer ones. It's a little bushing the spring pins in the vent ride in, they're on your floor or inside the duct or disentigrated to those little bits of plastic shown in the last photo. It is a barn house shaped piece of plastic with square nubs on the outside and holes on the inside for the vent spring pin..

If you can't find them a double or triple layer of copper ground strap bent to a U shape should work.
If I wasn't in 'restore' mindset, I'd have done that. I found a set of two used vents with all of the pieces for $30 on Fleabay. I have three vents, one gray, two black, if anyone wants them.

Search this Thread