86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

heads prep work

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
heads prep work

so im getting ready to install my heads. is there anything i need to know about putting the heads back on? other than proper torque?

ive heard these mls gaskets need a very smooth surface. is this true? can i do this myself? i got my gasket set from toyota. it is not aftermarket
Old 09-24-2009, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota offer MLS now? I have not smooth the surface much but was sure it is smooth enough to put the MLS on. I have drove it for 10,000 miles and is still giong strong, but right now I am having a bad compression on the left head on all three of the cylinder, but when I put alittle oil into it the compression went up good. So it must not be the HG and the rings or cylinder wall is either damaged from what cause it is mystery to me atm.

I would send it to the shop for a smoother surface before putting those MLS HG just to be safe... I forgot what the # you need it to be smooth at but I remember somewhere in the 20 or 40 some sort of machine grinding work...
Old 09-24-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im helping my friend with his 3vz, he didnt get his gaskets from toyota but we took some 1200 grit sand paper to the block to "shine" it up, i dont know why but my friend told me to haha. When his HG blew he said he didnt over heat it but he wishes he sent the block out to be decked.

He did have his heads decked and all that good stuff at a machine shop tho.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from what i hear, as long as the surfaces are clean... you wont need to machine anything off the heads. regardless they will fit back on to the block.. assuming u didnt machine the block, any warpage will match together and ur HG will seal. I've seen some rowdy warped heads put back on and seen them work. Use plastic scraper on ur Alum heads.. metal scraper is okay for ur block.. use brake cleaner/acetone to clean up any residual stuff, and ur HG is fine. MLS will do okay just get ur torque right...and RE-TORQUE after a short time of running the engine!

-edit..
Gaskets are made to fill in spots. Deep gashes are not acceptable, but regardless of the type of gasket and the material its made from, it all works the same respectively. Smooth...ehh... do ur best. but dont sweat it.

Last edited by 9o7yota; 09-24-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 9o7yota
from what i hear, as long as the surfaces are clean... you wont need to machine anything off the heads. regardless they will fit back on to the block.. assuming u didnt machine the block, any warpage will match together and ur HG will seal. I've seen some rowdy warped heads put back on and seen them work. Use plastic scraper on ur Alum heads.. metal scraper is okay for ur block.. use brake cleaner/acetone to clean up any residual stuff, and ur HG is fine. MLS will do okay just get ur torque right...and RE-TORQUE after a short time of running the engine!

-edit..
Gaskets are made to fill in spots. Deep gashes are not acceptable, but regardless of the type of gasket and the material its made from, it all works the same respectively. Smooth...ehh... do ur best. but dont sweat it.
thank you sir

thats pretty much the info i was looking for.

lets hope she runs like a champ when its all put together and i get my yota back!