Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Headlight Wiring - Quick Help!

Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight Wiring - Quick Help!

I'm installing my HID right now and I am stumped.

The 9004 wiring that I know about is as follows, looking at the socket from the end where the bulb plugs into:

_ - _
ground low high

The driverside wiring is red/white, red/green, red/yellow.

The passenger side wiring is red/black, red/green, red/yellow.

I put a light tester on what I thought is low beam (+) red/white, on the passenger side, turn on the low beam and it comes on. I put the light tester on what I thought is high beam (+) red/green, throw on high beam, no light! I put the tester back on red/white and it comes on when high beams are activated!! WTF!!!! Then I tested the other side and I'm more confused! The wiring doesn't observe the conventional 9004 wiring. What's the deal?? Can anyone help? Is the headlight system common ground or common power?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
They are on a switched ground circuit, the red/white and red/black are the +12V wires from the fuses. The red/green wires go through the switch to ground for the low beams, and the red/yellow are grounded for the high beams.
I have a wiring diagram from a 95 4Runner in pdf format, if you want a copy send me an email address.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM

Thanks for the quick reply! I am kind of confuse now as to how I'm going to wire up the ballasts. Each ballast has a 12+ and a ground lead. Since everything is switchable ground how am I going to wire this system? The kit that I have didn't come with relays or any other sort of harness aside from just the ballast and bulbs.

Originally Posted by eric-the-red
They are on a switched ground circuit, the red/white and red/black are the +12V wires from the fuses. The red/green wires go through the switch to ground for the low beams, and the red/yellow are grounded for the high beams.
I have a wiring diagram from a 95 4Runner in pdf format, if you want a copy send me an email address.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:45 AM

Hmmm now that I think about this, the only wires I need to use is the red/white (driverside) and red/black (passenger side). Ground the ballast to chasis. Then I can just tape up the red/green and red/yellows. I won't need them since I have a single Xenon system that I'm wiring up. Would this work?