Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HeadGasket recall question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HeadGasket recall question

Hey guys, Im new to the forums so Im not sure where to ask this question. I appologize if this is the wrong section.

Im about to purchase a Pickup Truck with the HG starting to go south. Called up my local toyota, then asked them to run the Vin for the HG recall. Person said that the Truck qualifies for the recall and to setup the appointment when I get the Truck.

What Im wondering is, when they do the recall on the HG, what exactly do they do? Do they just change the HG and slap everything back together or do they Mill the head, new Knock Wire, etc? I know some wont change the Bolts, but from what I read on these forums is that you can purchase new Bolts and ask that they use the new stuff. Also read that I could ask them to install new Tbelt,Tensioner,etc and only need to pay for the parts cost because those are items that need to come off during the purceedure. Also, does mileage matter on their decision of repair or replace motor?

Just trying to figure out how much out of pocket I should reserve for this or if I should just do it myself and forget the recall. Seems like they skimp on alot of stuff and the best way would be Do it yourself(Not only for piece of mind). Any insight on the common dealership proceedure on this or warnings I might not know will be greatly appreciated. If anyone got charged for misc items not needed.

Thanks folks and sorry for the long post.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When they are doing it the bolts should be replaced. You can ask them to replace the T-belt, tensioner, and I would also do the water pump and other belts since these will incur no additional labor and good insurance. The knock wire is not included but if you want to replace it they should do that too since they are already there. The heads should be sent out to be checked and replaced if too bad. The motor itself will not be replaced and milage won't be a determining factor in the repair procedure since this is not a maintenece procedure. The best advise I can give you is to ask to speak to the Tech that will be doing the job and ask him to explain what steps he will take to perform the repair. Don't act like you know more than he does but you want to know exactly what will be done. Also offer to replace anything that in his opinion needs to be. He will appreciate your willingness to help see the repair is done right and no shortcuts are taken. New part save time during the install process and most Techs appreciate it when the owner provides all the needed parts to complete the job and assure the Techs work won't come back. Good luck and let us know how you make out.