Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

headgasket...cracked block...other

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
headgasket...cracked block...other

I just rebuilt my brother 92 pickup with 22re. New pistons,rings,crank,bearings,gaskets,timing chain guides,timing cover,water pump,oil pump,headgasket,decked head,block checked for flatness. My brother being an idiot filled up the truck with water and it froze up. Noticed the water pump was weaping out water thru the water pump. So we put a new water pump on...now we go to fill up the truck with coolant and it basically fills the oil pan up. Yes that fast. Plus the truck blows water/oil out of valve cover gasket. Truck doesnt smoke out of exhaust and start right up runs great. Im hopping its the head gasket.
But i wouldnt think it would be because it fills the oil pan up fast. Why would it have so much pressure in valve cover? Could it be cracked head. It does have an aluminum head. Tell me what i should do to diagnose this problem. Thank you
Old 11-25-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
compressiom test would be a good start.

pressure test cooling system

Last edited by HighLux; 11-25-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can i get a coolant pressure tester at say autozone. What would be good compression and bad compression readings
Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Call them. Search or
Old 11-26-2013, 09:44 AM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
with the coolant pressure tester all you'd be looking for is air escaping the system, in order to locate the crack, which probably won't help, because you already where at least one of the leaks is.

tough call... i'm thinking that the freeze plugs should have blown, if water in the block froze all the way, but i wouldn't depend on 'em as a guarantee that the block didn't crack.

you better pull the valve cover asap, and see if the water caused rust on the camshaft and the rocker assembly.