Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Head Gasket Recall Question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Head Gasket Recall Question...

So, I understand this has been talked about and talked about. Many threads are pretty old, but the issue still remains for those of us who have purchased a vehicle that has never had the recall fixed. That said, many people say the Special Service Campaign has expired and many people say it still applies to vehicles that have never had the gaskets replaced.

So, I called my local dealership and they ran my VIN, the gaskets apparently haven't been replaced under the recall campaign, but the tech I spoke with said there are no open recalls on my '93 Runner. I'm confused? Anyone have any new or further info on the subject?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-18-2013, 06:17 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Toyota has an owners site http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home where you can input your VIN and see the service history of your vehicle as performed by Toyota dealers, and any open recalls. You have to "join" by creating a user name and login, but it's free and no hassle.

That being said, you'll probably turn up the same info (or lack thereof) as your dealer did. My 94 4Runner does not appear to have had the headgasket replaced, but that special service campaign no longer shows up for my vehicle, either. I think that Toyota has officially ended the replacement offer - there's some evidence the official end was as early as 2004. Some dealers may still do it, but I'm guessing that's an local decision that they make, and the bigger ones can often convince the parent company to cough up money for a repair even when it's not officially covered. (Contrary to internet opinion, not all dealerships are thieves - I've gotten some excellent "above and beyond" service from my local Chevrolet dealer and good service from the local Toyota dealer here in Ft. Collins, CO.)
Old 06-18-2013, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not all 93 4runners were on the recall list. They changed gaskets mid production.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could also try calling another dealer, there's about 5 of them in a 50 mile radius where I live.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how bout this, I got a 91 3vze with 150k and thank god the head has held so far.

I registerd for that site and it shows absolutely no services done to your vehicle, under warrenty or safety recalls it does not state the head recall,

is this true for a 91 or do I have to dig deep for this?

sorry for hijacking the thread but I was wondering this for a while. never looked into it
Old 06-19-2013, 07:40 AM

I've also got a 91 with 281k miles, mine also shows no record of a head gasket recall replacement. However, I know the PO did the steering rod recall (it's newer than the rest of the truck) and that also does not show up in their records.

Basically, it just comes down to if the dealer is willing to do it or not. Seems like nowadays, they won't. Makes sense though, they are losing money if they continue to honor a recall on vehicles that are 18-27 years old.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by RJR
Toyota has an owners site http://www.toyota.com/owners/web/pages/home where you can input your VIN and see the service history of your vehicle as performed by Toyota dealers, and any open recalls. You have to "join" by creating a user name and login, but it's free and no hassle.

That being said, you'll probably turn up the same info (or lack thereof) as your dealer did. My 94 4Runner does not appear to have had the headgasket replaced, but that special service campaign no longer shows up for my vehicle, either. I think that Toyota has officially ended the replacement offer - there's some evidence the official end was as early as 2004. Some dealers may still do it, but I'm guessing that's an local decision that they make, and the bigger ones can often convince the parent company to cough up money for a repair even when it's not officially covered. (Contrary to internet opinion, not all dealerships are thieves - I've gotten some excellent "above and beyond" service from my local Chevrolet dealer and good service from the local Toyota dealer here in Ft. Collins, CO.)
Dang, that site is only for American Toyota's