86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

head gasket question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
head gasket question.

hey there, so i just picked up a MINT 92 4Runner 3VSlow with 212,000 KM's for next to nothing off an old lady. but it needs and new clutch and the head gasket replaced. Ive ordered the factory Aisin clutch kit off Lowrangeoffroad.com but im unsure of what type of head gasket would be the most reliable and long lasting.
could anyone share their knowledge of the different types of material they can be made from and the pros and cons of those materials. as well as what one you prefer.
thanks so much!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:35 AM

Check the stickies at the top of the forum, and call the 800 # for Toyota, and see if your rig falls under the head gasket recall. If it does, get it to Toyota, and they'll do the head work for you, free.

There 2 recalls for our 2nd gen 4Runners, the head gasket and steering rod relay. Give them your VIN, and they'll tell if your covered, and if the recalls were done or not.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:32 AM

wow! better advice then i could ever expect!
thanks.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:37 AM

Your welcome. I suggest you take the time to read thru all the stickies, you'll find TONS of great info on our rigs.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Way to NOT answer the question...

In the case of 3VZ-E head gaskets, OEM is not necessarily better, or worse, than any specific brand/type. And you will find 2 brands currently being sold as OEM. With significant differences in design between the 2(and/or other brands currently on the market).

Since all brands are made of similar materials, and made in a similar fashion, they all should perform similarly(presumably). Therefore, it's arguable which, if any, brand is better than any other.

The most current topic of debate concerning the differences between one brand or another, is whether or not the Slipperplate™/expanded bore grommet is on the block facing or head facing sides of the gaskets. And whether or not that makes any difference in their performance. Some brands are made with the Slipperplate™/expanded bore grommet facing the head, while some are made in the reverse fashion with the Slipperplate™/expanded bore grommet facing the block. Which way works better? Well, it seems Toyota can't even make up their minds on that. Since the 2 different brands of OEM head gaskets are made with that particular aspect being the significant difference between them(aside from being branded Ishino or Sanwa).

What I can tell you is, the original OEM head gasket design had no Slipperplate™/expanded bore grommet. With that aspect being the only signifcant difference between pre and post head gasket recall/campaign designs. Additionally, the first head gaskets to be made with a Slipperplate™/expanded bore grommet, were not even made by an OEM manufacturer. Those head gaskets were(and still are) made by Rock Gaskets. And the engineer who designed them states that the theory behind the use of the Slipperplate™/expanded bore grommet is to allow the head to "slip on its surface" instead of tearing apart the head gaskets when it tries to(IMO this is the only proof required as to which side the Slipperplate™/expanded bore grommet should face, obviously not the block, ask the guy who designed them if you don't believe me, his name's Ted @ENGNBLDR.com). This phenomena happens due to the relative motion between the block and head as the engine experiences heating and cooling cycles. A result of using an aluminum head on an iron block. Since these two dissimilar metals have different thermal expansion/contraction rates, they tend not to do so in a harmoniously equal manner. Wherein, supposedly, lies the problem.

So, the excessive number of head gasket failures happening prior to the invention of head gaskets with the Slipperplate™/expanded bore grommet technology was assumed to be the result of its absence. In essence, they were created to embody a design of head gaskets with some side to side "give" or "playability". Instead of the standard perforated steel core designs, which inherently have no such characteristics. Since the perforations in the steel core form small sharp hooks or teeth that were originally designed/intended to dig/bite into both the head and block mating surfaces, holding the gaskets firmly/immovably in place(see attached pic below). Thereby preventing any side to side give/play of those mating surfaces relative to each other(under any circumstances). Thus allowing for any such movement, when it occurs, to be translated directly to the head gasket's constituent materials, inevitably damaging, and/or eventually destroying the head gasket in the process(IOWs the tearing apart of the head gasket through normal usage/under normal operating conditions).

Where does this leave us in the discussion of which types of head gaskets are more reliable or durable/long lasting? Good question. And it's especially hard for me to answer that. Because, though the (right)head gasket eventually failed on my 3VZ-E. It was the original head gasket installed at the factory in 1988, the type without a Slipperplate™/expanded bore grommet. And it lasted for more than 218,000 miles. I've since installed Rock head gaskets, with no issues to report. They seem to be holding up as good as any. Yet, dare I say as good as the originals? I think not. Maybe in another 200,000 miles or so I can make that determination.

Basically, there's no definitive proof one way or the other that ANY OEM type/design/brand of head gaskets for this engine are ANY better, than ANY other. IMO, and others, the problem isn't with the head gaskets in the first place. Meaning, whether or not the head gaskets last 3,000 miles or 300,000 miles, it most likely has NOTHING to do with the type/design/brand of the head gaskets. Simply choose one, randomly or with some forethought, and install them correctly(proper installation procedure being arguably more important than type/design/brand). Then cross your fingers, and see how far she goes.

PS, don't forget about the MLS or solid copper head gaskets available for this engine. Which have both been used successfully(AFAIK or have been told, but I also cannot outright prove). Though, arguably, not any more(or less) successfully than any OEM type/design/brand head gasket would/could(in the same, or a different, 3VZ-E).

That's all folks! From the mouth of YT's self-proclaimed foremost 3VZ-E expert. ME!

More info found here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...askets-191393/
Attached Thumbnails head gasket question.-nitroseal.jpg  

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-26-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MudHippy
Because, though the (right)head gasket eventually failed on my 3VZ-E. It was the original head gasket installed at the factory in 1988, the type without a Slipperplate™/expanded bore grommet. And it lasted for more than 218,000 miles.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't 88 prior to the head gasket recall?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm not sure where you're going with that question. But yes, it was produced prior to "the head gasket recall"(proving it was originally equipped with the pre-recall type of head gaskets). And no, my 3VZ-E was never serviced under that campaign. Since there was never a problem with its head gaskets(and I'm not about to let ANY Toyota Technician touch my vehicle, for any reason, EVER). Both facts I can provide proof of in the form of pics.

For instance:

And:

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-26-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MudHippy
I'm not sure where you're going with that question... I'm not about to let ANY Toyota Technician touch my vehicle, for any reason, EVER
Toyota never should have changed the original gasket. My 89 had 205k when i did the swap and it still ran perfect. And I wouldnt let a toyota tech touch my truck either. Other than me anyway
Old 10-28-2012, 10:45 AM

wow even better! great post.
thanks.
i also was browsing the web looking for a bit of info on head gaskets in general and found this PDF. seemed to be helpful.
http://www.fme-cat.com/Docs/1425.pdf

also im starting to think that id like to posible buy a full head gasket set.
what are your thoughts on that and is there any in particular youd recomend?
thanks.