86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Head Gasket

So after all these years I am finally getting around to doing the head gasket on my 91 3.0 truck. I know steel is better than graphite but my question for those who have done the HG job is, would you buy an after market mls HG or is the toyota HG mls?

As of right now I'm looking at Toyota's, if someone says otherwise or has better option, please do let me know. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 AM

If/when I have to do mine, I'd go with Toyota HG's. Sometimes it's best just to go with dealer items.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
The MLS Multi layer steel are supposed to be unbreakable....
Old 05-02-2009, 12:12 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
From what I've researched and asked a real pro, the MLS gasket is much more resilient to the head "crawling" around on the block deck than anything else......anything. (Toyota OEM's not MLS) So, if one had the money for such a thing, I'd say do that. But, both surfaces have to be very well machined to get a good seal. Shoot.....then I'd put studs in, if they're available for the 3vze. Not sure anymore.

I don't know where to get MLS's gaskets, either. You'll have to check around. Maybe LC Engineering??? Don't know.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the response so far guys. Reason I asked is because I've seen a number of mls HG on ebay, their fairly priced. Between the highest of those I've seen on ebay and toyota's price, there's no comparison. If toyota is not even mls, should I try to source out a good mls HG for it?

I did buy a complete HG set from ebay, but more so for the use of the rest of the gasket, and the head bolts. The HGs that came with that are graphite. I am considering getting something better or toyota's.

Ebay is not recommended I would think? lol.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:45 PM

i use a local parts store for all my purchases, not a box store. they can get just about everything, even land rover stuff, and great customer service. i like to support local businesses and besides i have bought enough stuff there that i get a discount.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Oldmans4x4
Thanks for the response so far guys. Reason I asked is because I've seen a number of mls HG on ebay, their fairly priced. Between the highest of those I've seen on ebay and toyota's price, there's no comparison. If toyota is not even mls, should I try to source out a good mls HG for it?

I did buy a complete HG set from ebay, but more so for the use of the rest of the gasket, and the head bolts. The HGs that came with that are graphite. I am considering getting something better or toyota's.

Ebay is not recommended I would think? lol.

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Good lord, yes....go for the MLS. Like I said, though. Need a good machinist and a very good machining.

I buy a lot of things on ebay. Never had any real trouble. Most was just slow to ship kinda thing. But, check the seller ratings/feeback. If it's 100% or even close, I'd do it. And, ask any questions you may have to/for the seller. It will tell you a lot by the kind of reply you get.

And, if it's any consolation, engnbldr has an ebay store. They're well known and regarded in this and other Yota communities.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:18 PM

I just put in an enginebuilder gasket made by rock I believe.. the old addage about always use toyota parts sounds good in theory, and usually works well with toyota parts considering their quality, but one needs to realize that no matter how respectable a vehicle manufacturer is they do have a bottom line.

What I mean to say is that their engineers usually do a great job on parts selection for their product but sometimes a person doesnt want great he wants better. The designers at toyota know as sure as they breathe that while their parts work well ,they simply cant afford to put "awesome level parts" on a run of vehicles that might number in the tens and tens of thousand world wide.This could not be cost sustaining. The best quality is custom done quality and places like race shops and some high end fabricator shops ,and even a number of mass production places have this sort of quality. Dont get me wrong I think toyota is the best mass producing vehicle producer in the world but just take a wee gander @ the inside of a cylinder head and a guy can see signs of mass production ,which falls short of optimum efficiency and performance all over the place, to wit all the extra material in the combustion chamber and even an almost complete lack of smooth edges.In addition I am not talking about just making a rig faster in the aftermarket. I realize all the testing Toyota does to gain efficiency and longevity of product and I mean to say they cant afford the end game in these categories as well.

So IMO original equipment works like 81 percent of the time for toyota{again high praise from me} and head gaskets{3.0 ones and the design of other stuff there} are not one of those. They have reworked the HG obviously but I still feel better and confident that my upgrade is the better deal. Do not use any shmo when aftermarketing but instead use reputable people who are proven. The people talked about on this site over and over are usually a good bet and dont be afraid to research the engineering aspect of a purchase either. To me the 91 3.0 I have begs for the metal/soft material HG I just got and not the Toyota one considering that is the one I just pulled and considering the on going characteristics of the motor. Can the Toyota one do great if done right? OH YEAH! Can the one I got do better and give me a better sense of operation? So far so good:}
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 AM

Just finished complete 3.0 rebuild, used all Rock gaskets and parts. Lots of good reports
on Rock Products on this site. I would use them again. I can't give real report yet as I
only have around 300 miles on engine.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:18 PM

i went with the V06 from toyota. The only problem with MLS that i have heard is that since they are thinner they bring the aluminum head closer to the iron block, therefore making them more suceptable to heat. That just what i have heard.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brunner628
i went with the V06 from toyota. The only problem with MLS that i have heard is that since they are thinner they bring the aluminum head closer to the iron block, therefore making them more suceptable to heat. That just what i have heard.
Sounds like a load of horsecrap to me; the heat is from COMBUSTION which occurs in the chamber.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:27 PM

Hmmm.....never heard that. Doesn't make much sense to me, though. I mean, how much difference is there really that it would pose such a difference in heat tolerance? I could see it affecting compression ratio and timing assembly/belt tension, but I'm sure those issues have been dealt with. Wonder if Ted at engnbldr would more know about this. Yeah.....warping or cracking heads wouldn't be good. So, good question.

Last edited by thook; 05-04-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:29 PM

like i said....i heard. A friend of mine who works for toyota mentioned it. He is a neutral party at that (not trying to sell me anything) Thats just his experience as a mechanic. But hey, you dont know until you try
Old 05-04-2009, 03:30 PM

Hey rabbit, did you use MLS on your rebuild???
Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by brunner628
Hey rabbit, did you use MLS on your rebuild???
I wish....
Old 06-07-2009, 09:08 PM

Thanks for all the reply guys. I'm sorry it took me so long to reply back. I appreciate everyone's inputs. I decided to go with Toyota dealer HG. I ordered a t-stats and timing belt while I was at it. Cost quite a bit but oh well lol. At least I know they will not fail on me not too far down the road.

I ordered an Aisin waterpump from ebay, claims to be the same as the toyota one and just have the logos shaved off, yes they did lol. I will see if they are or not, I am hoping that since it is Aisin and since Aisin makes factory parts for Toyota, it should be just as good?

I have a question about headers though, I bought a set of headers off craigslist, got them installed but what do I do about a heat shield or protecting the surrounding hoes and starter? I am thinking about buying a sheet metal and bending/cutting it and shape it around the headers itself? Anyone has a better idea?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone!