86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hawkstrongs Headgasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawkstrongs Headgasket replacement

Well I finally started on my head gasket, and I thought I'd post a thread to keep all of you out there that are interested up to date.

I was able to get the head off tonight and there were a couple of things I was wondering about.

What sort of things can I delete while I'm in there? I already plan on deleting my EGR, and moving my fuel filter.
What other things can I move/delete? I've got some spare time while I get my head checked out at the machine shop, so I want to clean up as much as I can, that way it'll be easier to work on in the future.

I'll post some pics once I get em off the camera
Old 03-18-2011, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by HawkStrong16
Well I finally started on my head gasket, and I thought I'd post a thread to keep all of you out there that are interested up to date.

I was able to get the head off tonight and there were a couple of things I was wondering about.

What sort of things can I delete while I'm in there? I already plan on deleting my EGR, and moving my fuel filter.
What other things can I move/delete? I've got some spare time while I get my head checked out at the machine shop, so I want to clean up as much as I can, that way it'll be easier to work on in the future.

I'll post some pics once I get em off the camera
Generally it's just better to keep the EGR system on there... there's no real benefit of removing it from my understanding. I would just generously spray it with some carb cleaner or any other solvent to clean out the carbon.

Where are you going to move the fuel filter to? There isn't much to work with between the lines and space that you have - unless you are completely re-running new lines and whatnot.

You are overthinking things IMO.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
The fuel filter only needs replacing every 100,000 miles so it's not like it's a high-maintenance item.

Like Kaptain said, I'd keep the EGR as it keeps combustion temps down--a GOOD thing in an engine prone to HG issues....
Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 AM

I know I should keep the EGR, but it has made my intake nasty and its a PITA to work around. But I suppose I'll just spray it with carb cleaner and leave it.

As for the fuel filter moving, that was just kinda a random thought, it just seems like a good idea, I could easily mount it on the inner fender
Old 03-20-2011, 06:32 PM

Heres some pics
The tape is covering my IACV, this fixed my bad idle. I will be taking care of the issue while is apart
[IMG][/IMG]

Got the head off.
[IMG][/IMG]

The rockers look pretty good, as well as the cam.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Well heres hoping everything is ok. I sent it off to the machine shop to get it checked. Ill update when I get it back
Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I removed some vac lines when i did my hg, take a look

Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 PM

I would just remove the EGR if you dont have to worry about smog. I have mine blocked off for over a year with no temp issues. it was caked with carbon and getting stuck and causing all sort of issues. I cant delete mine or i would. I have to get it fixed before the next smog. as for the fuel filter it is a pain to get to but you dont do it often so i would probably just leave it. thats just my 2cents.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:51 PM

Yeah I don't have to worry about smog, and it wont cost me anything to make a delete for it, and I can always hook it up later.

874Runner that looks pretty sweet without all the vac lines. I'll have to look in to doing that myself. I'd like to not have to deal with all that.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:32 PM

Yeah it cleaned it up SO much
Old 03-21-2011, 05:47 AM

Do you have more of a detailed picture of your lack of vac lines?
I'm really liking the idea of cleaning up that mess of lines
Old 03-21-2011, 04:22 PM

hmm.. i could take more if you would like? it'll have to be when its better outside and when im back next week. All i have is one to the charcoal canister and one to this valve at the back.. the rest are from the valve cover and power steering.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:47 PM

Don't worry about it. I think I can figure it out.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:22 AM

Ok so I got my head back from the machine shop and it looks great!
However one problem that I didn't think of(stupid of me) was my #4 spark plug threads are a little messed up, and I forgot to tell the guy at the machine shop. I'm pretty sure I can fix this myself but I need a thread chaser, anybody know the proper size?? I can still start the plug but about halfway in it gets really tight
Old 03-24-2011, 05:26 AM

Another question I have: How much can be taken off those heads before I have to start worrying about my valves smacking my pistons? Idk if I even have to worry about that with this engine
Old 03-24-2011, 07:28 AM

Is this TDC #1?

Also some shots of the cleaned and shaved head

Old 04-12-2011, 08:38 AM

Well I have a little update on my truck. I broke a timing chain guide I caught it with the head while I was trying to lower it on, and snap! So now I'm waiting on Engnbldr to send me my steel guides so I can put it back together

Edit: I got my timing chain set! Back to work

Last edited by HawkStrong16; 04-12-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by HawkStrong16
Another question I have: How much can be taken off those heads before I have to start worrying about my valves smacking my pistons? Idk if I even have to worry about that with this engine

.020 before you need to start thinking about a thicker headgasket or shims.

Make sure you clean the surface of the block REALLY well before bolting the head down. I used razer blades and acetone which worked out well.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:15 AM

Ok, then I should be ok, he didn't take that much off. I have the receipt here somewhere that says how much was taken off.

I have been cleaning the block really well. acetone is my best friend haha
Old 04-16-2011, 02:46 PM

Ok I got everything back together, and it started right up and ran great until the #4 spark plug blew out!
The asshole at the machine shop used a tap instead of a thread chaser to clean the spark plug hole.

What is the best way to fix this? I plan on going to the machine shop to bitch him out and get some money back. But I would rather fix it myself because I don't want that moron touching it again.
Everything I've read says I can do this without pulling the head again. Is this true?
Old 04-16-2011, 04:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Helicoil it, is your best bet.

Quick Reply: Hawkstrongs Headgasket replacement