86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

having a WEIRD starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 4RUNNER injector wiring?

hey guys, i got a 1992 4runner with the 22re, i've read tons about the bad toyota injector splice on the older 4runners, just wondering if this is a common issue in my model as well? Cause my runner isn't powering on the 2 & 4 cylinders, spark is there, but no fuel, just figured i'd chase it back to the wiring splice.

also another question, where is the splice located, this way i dont have to rip the whole harness apart! THANKS in advance!!!

Myles
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
See below:
- http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...0091&Forum=f11
Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 AM

good helpful link, i read that one before. thanks! But it doesn't tell me if this is also a problem in the LATER model 4runners without the injector resistor pack.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:08 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Take a look at the FSM wiring diagram and see if it shows the injector ground wires splicing together before connecting to the ECU. If so, likely a similar setup.

Or test for continuity between the suspect injector wire connectors to the No10/No20 pins on the ECU connector.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:57 AM

Going to look into the splice thing tonght, anyone got a picture of where in the engine bay the splice is located? found some close ups but cant get a precise location of the splice
Old 01-18-2011, 02:17 PM

is it in between the intake manifold? or can i leave the intake manifold in place?
Old 01-19-2011, 09:18 AM

bought 1992 4runner found unplugged connectors..

just checking to see if these belong anywhere? can't find anything within reach that it would plugin to. vehicle is not running on the 2 & 4 cylinders, so i'm just trying to narrow down my problems, maybe this was EGR plugins that were previously removed? thanks for the help!

i believe my not running on two cylinders has to do with the common splice problem but i haven't ripped into the harness yet, thanks!

Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 AM

Have you checked fuel injectors?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:03 AM

yes i have, those plugins are not the injectors.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I found an unplugged connector on my truck when I first bought it:

The truck ran fine, but I posted up a topic here to get some expert advice. The best answer I got was "it's unplugged on mine as well and I could never find a location for it."
It's still unplugged and hasn't seemed to have hurt me.

That being said, how does the truck run?

Last edited by Zelephant; 01-19-2011 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:21 AM

WEIRD! runner runs good minus the 2 & 4 cylinders not firing, i beleive the issue is not related.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
I can't tell from the pictures, but do the plugs look like they were plugged in at one time or is the grime and dirt uniform.

If it appears like they were plugged in at one time then the PO removed some additional sensors that would normally by bolted to the plate on top of the valve cover. They are some emmisions doodads that I can't think of right know.

If it appears like the plugs were never plugged in then I would say they are extra for the above mentioned EPA sensors that your vehicle didn't come optioned with.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:40 PM

having a WEIRD starting problem

okay, from the top here goes the story:

bought a 1992 4runner, wasn't starting in the cold.....problem one, thats why it was so cheap. Okay no problem, take it home, let it thaw out in the shop over night, go into the shop, starts no problem, but was only running on two cylinders. So i took a noid light to see where the problem was lying, and it was that two of the injectors were dirty/defective. Changed those out, plug everything back in, including the grounds on the intake manifold. start it up, runs great in the shop on 4 cylinders!

So i figure there must have been water in the gas, thats why it didn't start when i looked at it outside the first time (winter up here guys). So i drain the gas tank, and had enough left over to just make it to the gas station about a half mile away, get there and fill it right up with regular fuel, went inside to pay, and came back outside and go to start.....and again NO START!!! so i tripped the b+ and fp just to see if the fuel pump wasn't working or whatever and if i let it sit with the IGN on for about 15 seconds it stumbles up almost starting, but never quite starting...towed it back...and am now out of ideas..... I already tested the fuel pump and it reads good ohms, and there are 12v at the fuel pump...what else would cause there to be a lack of fuel pressure?! its not something freezing because the truck was only outside in the cold for about 4 minutes before it didn't start again..... and i had it idling outside for about a half hour at -30 degrees already for a bit... i dont know

help please!! fuel pump defective? truck has 278,000 kms?
Old 01-23-2011, 05:47 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
fuel filter? did you check the plugs on it? plugs wet dirty ? worn?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When you say cold, how cold are you referring to? Below freezing? If there's any water in the fuel system, it can freeze in really cold temperatures causing issues. If it's below freezing outside, get some fuel-line antifreeze and put it in the tank, and then let the fuel pump run for 15 minutes or so to circulate it around, and then try to start it. I've had ice crystals in my system before.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:39 PM

I had a similiar issue with mine about starting in the cold. Turns out my cold start injector was unpluged. I doubt yours will be that simple but you might get lucky.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:30 AM

cold start injector plugged in, please read whole post, i already drained the tank, and have quite a bit of ISOpropyl in the tank, freezing isn't the issue i beleive, because it was only outside for 4 MINUTES, it wouldn't freeze that quick. I think its the pump, because pumping in all that fresh cold fuel probably is causing it to fail, and whenever the gas temp drops, it cant build fuel pressure.....

plugs are brand new, and are not wet...
Old 01-24-2011, 05:31 AM

would a pump test good on a multimeter and still be shot?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:43 AM

just noticed i put this in the wrong sections, please close thanks! and sorry!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 AM

92 4runner WEIRD starting problem!

okay, from the top here goes the story:

bought a 1992 4runner, wasn't starting in the cold.....problem one, thats why it was so cheap. Okay no problem, take it home, let it thaw out in the shop over night, go into the shop, starts no problem, but was only running on two cylinders. So i took a noid light to see where the problem was lying, and it was that two of the injectors were dirty/defective. Changed those out, plug everything back in, including the grounds on the intake manifold. start it up, runs great in the shop on 4 cylinders!

So i figure there must have been water in the gas, thats why it didn't start when i looked at it outside the first time (winter up here guys). So i drain the gas tank, and had enough left over to just make it to the gas station about a half mile away, get there and fill it right up with regular fuel, went inside to pay, and came back outside and go to start.....and again NO START!!! so i tripped the b+ and fp just to see if the fuel pump wasn't working or whatever and if i let it sit with the IGN on for about 15 seconds it stumbles up almost starting, but never quite starting...towed it back...and am now out of ideas..... I already tested the fuel pump and it reads good ohms, and there are 12v at the fuel pump...what else would cause there to be a lack of fuel pressure?! its not something freezing because the truck was only outside in the cold for about 4 minutes before it didn't start again..... and i had it idling outside for about a half hour at -30 degrees already for a bit... i dont know

vehicle has a 22re, cold start is plugged in, all connections are find, no water in gas

help please!! fuel pump defective? truck has 278,000 kms?

Quick Reply: having a WEIRD starting problem