Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Have you done the Sea foam/ Mystery oil?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you done the Sea foam/ Mystery oil?

I did it yesterday, two treatments, through the brake vacuum line, which was easier to get to , and with the extra length, easier to manipulate.
poored 6 0z., into a glass measure cup. sucked it on out, into the ride. Make sure your car is running , and allready warmed up first. then let sit for 20 minutes. At the same time, I did this to a big mid 90's chevy caprice.
Came out and started both cars. WOWWW!!!!! the smoke that came out was unbelievably awesome, and a little freaked out. took about 10 minutes to clear, I also noticed water coming out of both mufflers, which i liked, and I think even a little goo from the yota. then I turned off, and retreated both. then waited 1 hr. Same results, but far less smoke the second time.
Now , the yota starts by just looking at the ignition key real hard, and the chevy idols so smooth and so quiet, if the hood is open, and you are looking at it from the front, if you cannot see the fan turning, you could not tell my engine
is running.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a lot of people here have used seafoam.. its good stuff.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've used seafoam before just because I was curious. I didn't notice any changes.

If you suck seafoam through the brak booster, what parts of the engine is it supposed to clean out?

And if you put it in the oil tank, what's the primary function of seafoam there?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:22 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
there are several threads devoted to just seafoam with many debates about wether it works or not, and many other people's experiences as well...
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I used it twice in my truck. Once when I first got it (through the intake) and got it smogged. Then once recently after my injectors started sticking (intake and gas tank this time).

I put it lots of trucks
Old 12-01-2008, 08:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried Seafoam and it didn't make one bit of difference. Modern day snake oil...
Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

I had my doubts, but it had noticable results.. I guess it depends how bad your engine is.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:12 PM

Use Sea foam all the time. Namely in the Oil and gas tank. Havent tried using it in the intake yet. All it is, is a detergent meant to clean up carbon and sludge. If you have none or very little its not gonna do squat. Works better than any other injector/carb cleaner I've ever used though (excluding pure water, do not try at home). Only thing that works better on sludge is ATF (and thats also something to be very careful with)
Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 PM

At Advance Auto over the weekend I noticed seafoam was almost $8 a can. I thought it used to be $5 and change. Not so cheap if used regularly.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Contributing Member

Its like $12.00 a can up here!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:29 PM

Thats why I don't use it anymore!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're gonna clean the intake plenum, a can of spray throttle body cleaner is a cheaper option- just pull the duct of the TB, hold the throttle open, and spray about 1/4 of the can in there. let it set a few minutes, reconnect the duct and start it, letting it run for a few until it stops smoking. repeat until the can is gone. I like it better that way cause I can spray the cleaner where I want, not hoping the vacuum sucks it in.
Also, with the engine running, the majority of the Seafoam is going to be sucked right in and burned right out the tail pipe instead of soaking on the grime in the manifold. Now maybe if you put it in a spray bottle and squirted it in the manifold....

Having said all that, I did try it in my 88 and didn't notice a difference. That's when I bought the TB cleaner and did it the other way. Idle went up about 200 rpms, so I had to drop it back. Must've been the vacuum passages in the tb the seafoam missed? (In particular the idle bypass and auxilary air valve.)
Old 12-01-2008, 04:17 PM

I always run a quart of ATF with each oil change on all high mileage engines.
Hell I know people who do it right after a new engine break in, open it up after 200K and still have the bottom end be spotless.
Old 12-01-2008, 04:22 PM

hey, that's my trick!!! well, not on every oil change, but occasionally.
done in small amounts, and definitely not before a smog check, a couple ounces in the fuel tank will clean fuel injectors too. but I usually go for diesel to achieve that since it doesn't foul the O2 sensor as quickly.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:24 PM

Never tried it in the gas tank before, but I just had my injectors serviced
How much and how often do you use ATF?
I usually do a quart for every 4 of oil...
Old 12-01-2008, 05:37 PM

read the p.s. , at the end of my other thread Seafoam, 'do you want the truth?'
this is the prob , I don't know the long term effects, of atf or deisel, on injectors, or other seals, gaskets, 0-rings, etc. nor do we know if it has a lubricity effect, a condensation effect, or a viscosity effect, or continuous cleaning effect on gum,lacquer, etc., I will stick with the
Seafoam...

Last edited by rangerruck; 12-02-2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:40 PM

ATF is a high detergent lubricant...
Why the hell would we put it in a tranny if it wasnt?
Old 12-01-2008, 05:50 PM

again... as a high detergent, what are it's long term effects, what is it's long term effect on viscosity, on deterioration of diff materials, on injectors, on sensors, on condensation, on gum and varnish side products, for lubricity, etc.?
do you have any recommendations from the folks that make your stuff,or ATF, or Diesel, do they know? have they done long term studies, on all the effects that detergents have over time, on all diff types of materials, working/moving parts, lubricity, viscosity, condensation, etc.?
not trying to be a smart guy, but the dude, who like I said was a mech tech for 30 plus years, and did the treatments himself, for many years, before even working for Seafoam, has the long term results and testing of his product.
If you have product testing for your stuff, Diesel, ATF, then great, I will use it, as it is so much cheaper. Really. But until then, again , i will use the Seafoam, since it works, both by the testing, and personal anectdote, and becuase it apparently continues to work long term, in all the above areas, for maintenance,
and apparently has no ill long term effects.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:16 PM

atf, in the long term, produces no adverse effects to the seals or viscosity (it's oil for crying out loud) and is required in the transmission. If one could completely replace ATF with Seafoam, that might be a pair of valid questions to ask... If Seafoam is so good, can I replace my ATF with it and will it hurt my seals and clutch packs?
Long term studies? umm... yeah. The manufacturer recommend replacing the fluids after so many miles. Guess they didn't do studies?
So please, don't try to be a smart guy, it's not helping your argument.
Seafoam is making a claim- get them to back it up with 3rd party testing and such.
A backyard mechanic with an engine and transmission following the manufaturer's guidelines is far more reuptable than a company trying to break into a market selling a product that... for all intents and purposes... is not needed.
Can anyone say 'snake-oil'?

Last edited by abecedarian; 12-01-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:32 PM

My truck used to stall at red lights. Ran a third of a can of Sea Foam through the brake booster. It stopped stalling. I like Sea Foam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have you done the Sea foam/ Mystery oil?