86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hard braking or left turn then POP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hard braking or left turn then POP!

I have a weird problem with my '87 toyota pickup. Whenever I make a left turn on the road, a left turn when the front suspension is articulating, or when I brake hard, the front right suspension makes a sick pop. It'll also sometimes (but not very often) do it when I make a right turn. I thought that it might be that the cv's were bad, but they're not turning due to my manual hubs so I ruled that out. I then thought that it might be the ball joints, but I jacked the right side of the truck into the air and tried to wobble the tire and it didn't wobble, so I ruled it out too. My instructor then told me that it might be the kingpin, but I'm pretty sure that toyota IFS trucks don't have kingpins. Any ideas? I'm stumped
Old 04-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm, Since you tried to wiggle the wheel with no sucsess I would assume the wheel bearings are okay. When was the last time they were done?

Are your lugs tight (sorry, just making sure)

Check your controll arm bushings/bolts, they might be worn out and flopping around.

Check your sway-bar (if you run one), the end links might be loose and flopping around in the mounts.

Idler arm okay?

I think the best advice I can give you is to get under the truck and spend a good amount of time just checking everything over. Make sure everything is tight, nothing is binding up, etc...
Old 04-04-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
How are your torsion bars looking? i have had same thing happen to me after popping one
Old 04-04-2008, 08:13 PM

Have you lubed the steering stops,
Old 04-05-2008, 07:07 PM

Control arm bushings, upper and lower. And front sway bar bolts.
Old 04-05-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Steering stops.

Look on the lower control arms very near the ball joints and you will a sort of semi-circular/concaved object. That's the steering stop. They need some lithium grease every so often.

If you're aware of this already, disregard what I've said and start hunting for something broken. And, good luck.

Last edited by thook; 06-03-2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-05-2008, 08:06 PM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Check yer balljoints..
Old 04-05-2008, 08:22 PM

I had the same problem and thought it was balljoints/cv's. Changed balljoints cuz they were bad, but problem persisted. Ended up being a loose body bolt. Check yours.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:22 PM

I have the same problem on my truck. My friend seems to think that replacing the axles would help this problem. Although i think mine is much worse.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:50 AM

Originally posted by Jay351
Hmm, Since you tried to wiggle the wheel with no sucsess I would assume the wheel bearings are okay. When was the last time they were done?
Couldn't tell you

Are your lugs tight (sorry, just making sure)
Of course

Check your controll arm bushings/bolts, they might be worn out and flopping around.
Will check today
Check your sway-bar (if you run one), the end links might be loose and flopping around in the mounts.
Will also check
Idler arm okay?
I think so

Last edited by yotaman90; 04-08-2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by thook
Steering stops.

Look on the lower control arms very near the ball joints and you will see a large bolt....maybe a 12mm shank (?).....that protrudes out and towards the rotor backing. Then, look immediately to where it points towards the back of the wheel and you'll a sort of semi-circular/concaved object. That's the steering stop. They need some lithium grease every so often.

If you're aware of this already, disregard what I've said and start hunting for something broken. And, good luck.
I was aware of that, and yeah that does prduce a popping sound, but its not the same sound. Thanks though!
Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 AM

I don't think that it's the control arm bushings, but how would I check them just to make sure?
Old 05-05-2008, 06:33 PM

Were you able to come to a conclusion? I am getting the same symptoms and having trouble pin pointing the solution> Thanks
Old 05-06-2008, 04:30 PM

Nope, I have no idea
Old 05-06-2008, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
also check all of your suspension bolts. tighten the crap out of your crossmembers because i had a similiar noise and i was able to tighten the crossmember a little bit and it went away. i guess it was shifting under stress.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:06 AM

I'm having the exact same problems. But I notice mine in the conditions listed above, as well as backing out with the wheel to the left.

I have lifted the front, and feel no freeplay in the wheels, I can even use my legs to push on the bottom of the tire and still nothing.

My sway bar bushings are crap, but I've disconnected the sway bar and it still persists.

Also, little more information on mine, my front suspension has a "rattling" noise over very light bumps. I let my friend drive while I rode on my nerf bar, hanging on to the door frame, watching the suspension over bumps that make the noise. My upper control arm is shaking a LOT more than my lower control arm. What would cause this?

I think the two are related to eachother. I also have no idea when the ball joints or wheel bearings have been done. I have also already greased my steering stop.

God, i love the search function.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:22 AM

Yours sound like a ball joint issue.
Old 06-02-2008, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by MidtownYota
I have the same problem on my truck. My friend seems to think that replacing the axles would help this problem. Although i think mine is much worse.
Absolutely. Cut that IFS out of there and put in a solid axle before you kill yourself.

Well, the argument might work with your wife, couldn't hurt...
Old 06-02-2008, 10:42 AM

Angry

YotaMan, Still no luck?

I'm having the same problem now. It started after Replaced the Idler Arm, so that's my guess. I'm tempted to put the old one back on and see if the sound goes away, I just don't feel like finding out the new one I ordered is worse than the one I took off...

Thanks
Old 06-03-2008, 06:59 PM

I still haven't been able to pinpoint the problem. I also disconnected the front swaybar, but it didn't solve anything. I'm starting to think that it may be one of the ball joints or the cv's. But the thing is, the ball joints don't have any play, and I have manual hubs so I don't see how the cv's could be popping

Quick Reply: Hard braking or left turn then POP!