Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Which h pipe goes to the power steering??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which h pipe goes to the power steering??

I am just putting my engine back together after a head gasket rebuilt and it looks like I may have switched two sets of valcuum lines. I have looked at all of the diagrams and can figure it out. It is actually a quick question that anyone with a 3vze could answer for me.

There are two "h" pipes coming off of the engine on the pass side. One is on the manifold and the other is off of the pipes on the bottom of the manifold. Does the top h go to the power steering pump or the bottom one?

I labeled all 4 hoses as "h pipe".

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The top. Atleast one of those hoses from the PS pump connects to the upper h-pipe.

The bottom h-pipe is a fuel line, I think. I'm going from memory on that one. I removed all the hard lines that run under the intake on mine. Most of them are vac lines for emissions crap(EGR, PAIR), which are also gone on mine. But, IIRC, there was a fuel line under there too.

I put a small filter on the end of the other hose from the PS pump that was connected to a line from the intake air hose(intake silencer box)for filtered air inlet. But the other hose is connected to the upper h-pipe, connecting the circuit of filtered air flow to the intake when the air control valve on the PS pump is open. That's what raises the idle speed when pump pressure is high.

Here's an old pic(before I'd removed the hard lines). You can clearly see the PS pump line is connected to the top h-pipe.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Thanks for the pic. I'm going to go out and compare hoses. That makes sense for the two hoses not to be on the same h pipe. I'm going to go look at my routing.

Is that a EGR block off plate? How did that affect the way your engine runs? I've been thinking about doing that.
Old 10-30-2010, 06:54 PM

Yes, home-made EGR block off plate. Had to block off the hole in the exhaust manifold too. Quarters and exhaust system sealant with the stock metal gaskets to hold them in there..

Runs great. Made no huge difference. But it did seem to noticeably give it just a touch more power throughout the rpm range. Not alot more, but that's not the only reason I did that. I didn't care for all the crud it was dumping into the intake either. Which, no doubt about it, eventually restricts the air flow in there and hinders engine performance.

Here's an even older pic which shows, sorta, the other PS pump hose connected to something just right below that top h-pipe. It kinda looks like it's connected to the lower h-pipe. Maybe so?

Where the other lines you marked "h pipe" go is a mystery to me then.

Last edited by MudHippy; 10-30-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2010, 07:26 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
haha that's great mudhippy. I remember something like that with a SBC and a nickle. I can't remember for the life of me what the trick was though.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:43 PM

Mud - You are the man. Without knowing what those hoses did, I was just guessing. The bottom h pipe actually goes around to the air filter. The top one is just off the intake. So I am going to hook one hose to the top h pipe and the other to the bottom h pipe. That way when the PS pump opens that valve it will rev the idle up. The way I had it hooked up would have done absolultely nothing. I had them both on the same h pipe. When that PS valve opens it won't do squat. I'm going out to make the switch and take it for a test drive. I'll let you know what happens.

Those block off plates are great. Bringin' the bling to the Toyota I see. That reminds me of something from Mtv.......big pimpin'
Old 10-31-2010, 02:47 PM

What did you do with your vacuum line to the REED valve? Did you just plug it?
Old 10-31-2010, 03:18 PM

It worked man!! Thanks for the pics and the insight!!
Old 10-31-2010, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Challenga
What did you do with your vacuum line to the REED valve? Did you just plug it?
I removed it and plugged all the associated ports with ultra copper RTV.

Here's a thread with more details and pics.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...emoval-202562/

I've done more work since the pics in that thread. As you'll see I had the hose from the intake silencer, for the PS air control valve inlet, rerouted to draw filtered air from the port at the top of the air filter box. Where the resonator had been, and was the source of filtered air for the PAIR valve. I've since put the filter on the end of the hose, and done away with all of the other rubber/hard vacuum lines. I now only have one rubber vacuum line that runs from the fuel pressure regulator directly to the fuel pressure regulator VSV. Then there's a short rubber vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator VSV to the intake plenum where it's always been. I've also rerouted the fuel line to the fuel pressure regulator with a rubber fuel line that now runs along the top of the intake plenum instead of the steel line that ran under it.
Originally Posted by Challenga
It worked man!! Thanks for the pics and the insight!!
Excellent! Glad to hear it!

You're very welcome!