Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Got stuck, fed up with lightweight bed (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got stuck, fed up with lightweight bed (pics)

This weekend I got stuck in a puddle and had to leave her overnight until I could get the tractor in the morning, all because I wanted to go for an evening drive and don't want to bother putting extra weight on the bed. Of course not even 5 minutes into seeing if I could spot any deer in the back field, there I am, stuck, no traction on the right-rear, and in a spot where it can't get pushed out of easily. I don't want to have to remember to put large heavy objects on my bed just so I can drive and not get stuck, that's it, the bed is coming off!

This place is purdy in the evening (cellphone pic, can't find my camera):

This is where I got stuck (note: this is on private property and this is a field that's going to be plowed next spring):

The tractor, which is what's leaving all the wide and deep ruts, actually managed to bring up some mud, unlike my truck:

For those of you who can't make out the bed of my truck in my avatar, here is is:

As you can see, it's very lightweight, which does wonders for the traction on my 2wd pickup. I don't have a locker either.

All ready for removal (note, I tried to take off the trailer lights, and in later pictures have one off and one apart, but ended up cutting the wires instead, those lights were a mess, cb antenna is in the cab.):

Now, I had a real problem getting the 8 bolds attaching the bed to the frame, they were hidden under that planking somewhere and just spinning around, and the carriage bolts holding the planks on were all rusted to hell.

What's that, Mr. Crowbar? You want to see if you can find a solution to this problem? Oh my:

First bolt and spacers off. Wait a second, those spacers looked like metal and rubber washers under that grime, they're PLASTIC!?

The other 7 bolts came off easily and uneventfully thanks to Mr. Crowbar's handiwork. Anyone want to trade a rear bumper for all that gold I have sitting on my bed?

At this point the bed was completely detached from the frame, it's just sitting there... waiting...

...to show me just how lightweight it really was. It took two people to lift and remove simply for size. For the record, those planks are pine. It must weigh only 100lbs, if even.

After some love from the local pressure washer, here she is, and what's left of what's under her:

Well, most of it's actually there, so I guess I can't really say "what's left of..." However, a few things do seem to be missing or in need of replacement, see if you can spot 'em:

Basically, half the exhaust system (no cat, and it doesn't extend all the way), parking brake cables, busted p-brake arm on axle, and that brake cylinder (rear master?) is leaking like a faucet, no wonder my brakes are mushy. However, aside from some surface rust, you can actually make out parts of the original rust-coat on the frame and axle housing. Thank-god for small miracles, they don't use salt on the roads here, only sand. This all is definitely going to have get cleaned, fixed, and painted before the new bed goes on.

Now she's back in the workshop awaiting the new bed I need to fabricate (fabrication sister thread to follow once I start) for her, however I am looking for a few ideas as to what I should end up doing. I want to do wagon-style (removable) sidewalls and tailgate and wood (treated oak) planking flat deck, since this is going to be a work vehicle. However I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for anything else I should do bed-wise. I've seen some really nice flatbeds posted around here and would love some pointers, especially about replacement lights, I have some stock tail-lights but am really looking for something I can mount in a way that won't stick out.

Also, at this time, as much as I'd love to, especially considering the conditions around my farm, I can't do a locker. However, those 185/70/R14s are coming off in the spring, and maybe when I re-gear for the new tires I'll put in a locker. But for now the snow tires stay on, and the diff gets left alone.

Last edited by Magnusian; 11-01-2009 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
lock it put some better tires on it would go places
Old 11-01-2009, 05:47 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
why not make it out of steel???

you say you are tired of a lightweight bed...well one made out of steel will weigh more than one made out of wood???

and get some decent tires.....my friends crown vic can hit that "puddle"...stop...then back out..then go through it again..allll he wants...

so make a bed out of steel and that'll put some weight over your arse
Old 11-01-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
why not make it out of steel???

you say you are tired of a lightweight bed...well one made out of steel will weigh more than one made out of wood???

and get some decent tires.....my friends crown vic can hit that "puddle"...stop...then back out..then go through it again..allll he wants...

so make a bed out of steel and that'll put some weight over your arse
I forgot to mention the new bed will be framed with 2" square tubing. As well as having some C-channel going across for bolting on the planks. All-steel seems like it would be very heavy, I don't want it to weigh a million pounds.

And yeah, decent tires would be a boon, however the snow will be here is soon, so I might as well leave the snow tires on. I think I may put some mud tires while doing stuff at my farm on my other set of rims and some all-seasons on the ones in the pictures for daily-driving. I have some 195/60R15s on my other rims but those are practically-new winter tires too. I'm stuck until spring with what I have atm.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
get a 4wd

problem solved

you knew it was coming... just thought I'd be the first to say it, lol

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-01-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:03 PM

THIS^^^ is a great solution too..lmao..

and an all steel bed wouldn't be that heavy...of course if ya want it to..i guess it could weigh a million pounds?

im just saying...steel will outlast wood (if ya paint it to keep it from rusting..lol)
Old 11-01-2009, 06:13 PM

A steel deck would be much more expensive. And besides, if I ever wanted to get access under it without jacking it up it, I'd just have to remove a few of the planks, while a steel deck would be harder and more awkward to remove.

Super: I'll go 4wd when you buy me a Taco.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Magnusian
A steel deck would be much more expensive. And besides, if I ever wanted to get access under it without jacking it up it, I'd just have to remove a few of the planks, while a steel deck would be harder and more awkward to remove.

Super: I'll go 4wd when you buy me a Taco.
uno taco senior!

so where's your 4wd?

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-01-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:20 PM

I was hoping more Tijuana Flats Burrito Co. tacos.

As for 4wd, maybe when I have the engine out and cab apart I'll take a look at converting. Gotta replace my 4spd tranny eventually, maybe an upgrade would be in order.

Last edited by Magnusian; 11-01-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:21 PM

you know what you should do.....you should borrow a set of 35's from a friend and throw em on the back..LMFAO..just to be doin it...that'd be the shiizz..
Old 11-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

I was hoping more Tijuana Flats Burrito Co. tacos.

As for 4wd, maybe when I have the engine out and cab apart I'll take a look at converting. Gotta replace my 4spd tranny eventually, maybe an upgrade would be in order.
lol

hey there ya go!

throw a t-case in there, weld in a SFA, and do a spring-over in the rear with some new leafs, and you'll be set!
Old 11-01-2009, 06:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
why not lincoln lock it? specially if its a farm truck, and an all steel flat bed wouldent weigh a ton if you make it out of the right thickness of material
Old 11-01-2009, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

oh wait, it's just a farm truck?

weld that SOB up and throw some decent mud terrains in the rear

but yeah, getting the weight about right in the rear is going to play a big part in it... every flat bed I've ever seen has been WAY light in the rear... not to say that the sheet-metal original bed weighs a heck of a lot, but still...

worse comes to worse, do the 'ol red-neck style 1/4" thick 3" diameter tube bumper filled with cement in the rear

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-01-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:37 PM

yoterr: I don't want it locked all the time, I'd like to put an automatic locker in so I can still make my commutes into work drivable, not JUST a farm truck.
A steel deck would probably have to be thicker than normal steel, the bed is going to take a lot of abuse (I can replace planks rather cheaply too, saw my own from trees at the farm), this is why I'd be worried about a lot of excess weight.

super: I'm going to fab up a bumper using a piece of 4" C channel, I'll paint it to look like concrete just for you.

Last edited by Magnusian; 11-01-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

super: I'm going to fab up a bumper using a piece of 4" C channel, I'll paint it to look like concrete just for you.
alrighty!

at least sign my name on it
Old 11-01-2009, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
35s on the back would be SICK. PLEASE do it...and take a video...and put up pics. I wanna see it soooo bad. Or tractor tires. THat would go thru the field no problem.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:51 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Adding weight is NEVER a good solution. The vehicle should be as light as possible, only as heavy as necessary to survive the abuse put on it.

Locker, gearing, tires are much better solutions.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by flashkl
35s on the back would be SICK. PLEASE do it...and take a video...and put up pics. I wanna see it soooo bad. Or tractor tires. THat would go thru the field no problem.
back in the day, I threw on some 33" boggers on the back of mine once...

it was fun

Old 11-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Adding weight is NEVER a good solution. The vehicle should be as light as possible, only as heavy as necessary to survive the abuse put on it.

Locker, gearing, tires are much better solutions.
Not true. adding weight is not the greatest thing, but having a really unbalanced truck is even worse. there needs to be as much weight on the drive wheels as possible for traction, and lightening the front end isn't really an option.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:00 PM

maybe lift it a lil and then put some mud tires
and then u wont get stuck at all
even though u will still have that two wheel drive

Quick Reply: Got stuck, fed up with lightweight bed (pics)