Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

got pulled over just now!!!!!! (read on)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
got pulled over just now!!!!!! (read on)

well i was driving down the street and i got pulled over and guess for what....

the cop said i dont have any doors on my truck and i said yes they are they called half doors and i opened it and he said ok hang on ill be right back and by the way i also got you for speeding

so just to tell everyone that half doors are AOK for use on hwys in the WI!!!!!!

unless they tell you to get "hobiest plates" then just open one and say theres doors lol hope it helps anyone and everyone
Old 05-29-2008, 06:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I never understood that law in any state. You mean a JEEP Wrangler can have no doors, but my truck has to ?!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Last weekend I got pulled over (first time) for doing 84 in a 55. I have to go to court.

It sucks because it was my first time to ever be pulled over and I'm getting this huge penalty and hassle (I have to appear in court, they're gonna take 6 out of 12 points off my license, etc) and I have a friend who's been pulled over 4 times , once going 105 in a 65, and he's never even had a fine.

That cop must have just been pissed at me for some reason.

BTW, I was going downhill and I didn't want to go crazy on the brakes. We're talking mountain grades here.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 89dlx
I never understood that law in any state. You mean a JEEP Wrangler can have no doors, but my truck has to ?!
Technically, no. They have to have doors on the highways as well. They get off mainly because people think they shouldn't have doors. I have never had any problems when I go COMPLETELY without doors. City streets, highways...
Old 05-29-2008, 07:21 PM

I've seen many Wranglers driving on the highways with no doors. Now that it's starting to get warmer up here, I'm sure I'll see alot more of that.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:35 PM

every jeep around here has no doors. its total bs too cause even if i run my half doors i still get ticketed...twice so far. i cant stand cops. not all of them, but over 80% abuse the out of there power. sorry cops make me rant...
Old 05-29-2008, 07:49 PM

You got lucky.
In particular reference
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/FMVSS/
and
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...ection_toc=777
Check sections 206 and 214 in particular and 201 to a lesser extent.
You could very well be cited for modifying your doors and would, in court, have to justify your modifications based on FMVSS statutes in effect either at the time of manufacture/first sale or at time of modification, whichever is the most restrictive of the two.

There are also kind of 'lazy laws' which allow an officer to cite a person based on the officer(s) personal opinion of the safety or road-worthiness of a vehicle. Also many states and localities have laws requiring something to the affect of: if it came on the vehicle at the original time of sale, it must be on the vehicle and in operational status and if it's not, it must meet the standards in effect at the time of modification or retrofit.

For those complaining about Jeeps, if the door on the Jeep provided no significant protection to the occupants, not having the door has no negative effect on the safety of the occupants when compared to the factory door. Also, the half-doors on Jeeps are sold as a manufacturer option which would have gone through testing and found to not negatively affect occupant safety.
Toyota never tested half-doors.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-29-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:54 PM

Smoking in a car with a passenger isn't illegal and that proves dangerous to any occupants.

Why should we be fined for not having a door or two if it's our own choice?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Foolonastool
Smoking in a car with a passenger isn't illegal and that proves dangerous to any occupants.

Why should we be fined for not having a door or two if it's our own choice?
In California, smoking in any vehicle with a passenger under 18 is illegal.
edit: Vehicle Code §12814.6 (SB 7 Chapter 425)

Along that 'own choice' line... is it illegal to ride a motorcycle without a helmet if there is a law stating you must?

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-29-2008 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 08:02 PM

I was hella close to gettin the cops called today. so went to BK for lunch with some friends and hit the drive thru, the ers tell me to please pull around front to wait for my food, after like 5 mins of waiting i pulled up to the curb right outside the main doors and started squeelin the tires lol it was funny but the guy came out and said "HEY!! knock that off or ill call the cops !" so i just took my food and left. my 2 cents
Old 05-29-2008, 08:06 PM

In Australia, nearly every mod requires an engineer's certificate =\
Old 05-29-2008, 08:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i run tube doors w/ a mirror and i've never had a problem (i see cops all the time)
Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Ahh, the Nanny States of America. The helmet thing is legitimate, but not seatbelts or half doors. This is what happens when some half-wit legislator simply derives an ill-fated opinion out of a mere one time observance and then proceedes to turn it into law.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Man4God
Ahh, the Nanny States of America. The helmet thing is legitimate, but not seatbelts or half doors. This is what happens when some half-wit legislator simply derives an ill-fated opinion out of a mere one time observance and then proceedes to turn it into law.
Well we all know that the government here knows what's best for us and we don't. That's why people keep re-electing the representatives and congress-people.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:03 PM

No seatbelts are just as important as helmets. I cant count the number of people who have died or suffered MASSIVE injuries due to NOT wearing a seatbelt vs passengers in the SAME vehicle that only got minor injuries who were wearing their seatbelts. Only an idiot would drive a car without one. Go spend some time with some EMTs or the fire dept and youll have plent of time to think about such things while you are scraping/washing the remainents of someone's brain off of the curb he/she was ejected into...

Just think if Nick Hogan's buddy would have been wearing a seatbelt, Nick might not be going to prison for a few years....

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 05-29-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:50 PM

I am sure glad i live in north dakota where i can do whatever the heck i want. no dumb tree hugger laws here, nothing like commiefornia.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:05 PM

Shouldnt we be allowed to decide if we want to use seatbelts or helmets or doors for that matter?
Were all adults here...well most of us
Old 05-29-2008, 10:15 PM

it's becoming evident that people in the U.S.A. don't know who makes what rules and what can or cannot be enforced and which what applies to whom.
the federal govt makes rules and the states can be more strict than the feds, but not more loose... as is evident with the whole medicinal marijuana issue... legally speaking.

Last edited by abecedarian; 05-29-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SpecialScottie
Shouldnt we be allowed to decide if we want to use seatbelts or helmets or doors for that matter?
Were all adults here...well most of us
No.

Helmets and seatbelts are important.

Doors are important too. Think of how many hand/arm injuries there are on 'wheelers that flop or roll over when peoples arms aren't kept inside the structure... and that's at LOW speeds. What happens if you get t-boned at an intersection where the other vehicle is going HIGH speed and you tumble around a few times?

I always think of things from a racecar perspective. Safety netting on windows are to keep your arms inside. Harnesses are to keep you in your seat. Roll bar or cage to keep your roof from squishing you. If it works at 200mph, it will work at 70 on the freeway.

Now, you wanna go 'wheel with tube doors or 1/2 doors or no doors? Go ahead. You're not doing 70 on the highway and the chances of a high speed impact with another vehicle are smaller. But tuck your arms to your chest if you're flopping. And wear your seatbelt.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by 86tuning
No.

Helmets and seatbelts are important.

Doors are important too. Think of how many hand/arm injuries there are on 'wheelers that flop or roll over when peoples arms aren't kept inside the structure... and that's at LOW speeds. What happens if you get t-boned at an intersection where the other vehicle is going HIGH speed and you tumble around a few times?

I always think of things from a racecar perspective. Safety netting on windows are to keep your arms inside. Harnesses are to keep you in your seat. Roll bar or cage to keep your roof from squishing you. If it works at 200mph, it will work at 70 on the freeway.

Now, you wanna go 'wheel with tube doors or 1/2 doors or no doors? Go ahead. You're not doing 70 on the highway and the chances of a high speed impact with another vehicle are smaller. But tuck your arms to your chest if you're flopping. And wear your seatbelt.
You do have a good point here

Quick Reply: got pulled over just now!!!!!! (read on)