Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

got my tread wright d-muds today

Old 09-30-2008, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got my tread wright d-muds today

as the title says, they arived today. The tread is SICK!!!! We will see how they do in the woods this weekend. I must say I am worried about the sidewalls. I will post pics for everyone this weekend. Does anyone have a quictime to wmv (windows movie video) converting software? I need one so I can post some footage from this past weekend. All the one's I find only let you convert so far unless you pay a ridiculous amount to by it.

Last edited by imanut43; 09-30-2008 at 02:04 PM. Reason: picture adding
Old 09-30-2008, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Not sure about the wmv. I got my treadwrights put on about 1500 miles ago and LOVE them. I got the MTZ's.

Where are you at in CT? I lived there for almost 5 years.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:05 PM

I am 10 minutes outside of Plainfield, in Sterling. Real close to the Rhode Island line. Where did you live?
Old 09-30-2008, 02:10 PM

I use Rad Video Tools http://radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm for converting my mov's over to AVI and such. I suppose if you have the correct codecs installed you'd be able to do wmv too I'm guessing.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Why are you worried about the sidwalls? (Other than the obvious it being recycled from another tire)
Old 09-30-2008, 04:53 PM

blowouts!!! they are differen't castings so I wasn't exactly sure what I was getting, i.e. 6 ply sidewall..etc...etc.... I was given 2 Procomp X terrains, one dunlop radial rover and a futura. I am the luckiest guy in the world. Tonight a fellow stopped over with a 92 yota flatbed. Never met him before. Turns out he lives down the road 10 minutes.He was asking about my truck when he seen my tires in the garage. He told me he had a tire machine in his shop at home. So I went over and sure enough we mounted them on.THEY ARE SICK!!!!!!!!!!! Best money spent. So in exchange for mounting them I gave him a set of manual locking hubs for doing so,as he needed them for his pickup. What a day!

Last edited by imanut43; 09-30-2008 at 04:55 PM. Reason: cause i forgot some stuff.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That's a good trade for him, but if you didn't need them why not. If you have a set of hubs on your truck, they'll last for ever apparently.

Can you do me a favour, and observe your gas mileage closely. Gas mileage is a big reason why I'm not going to MTs. The Ultra Grip grips on ice and the lugs dig through mud. Best of both worlds IMO.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
Can you do me a favour, and observe your gas mileage closely. Gas mileage is a big reason why I'm not going to MTs.
Matt...my mpg went down when I switched to MT's from AT's.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

I lived in Groton. Wheeled with a few Jeep buddies up in Plainfield a couple of times.

My Ex and my daughter live in Lebanon so I'm back there quite often. I just moved out here a year and a half ago.

For future reference, when you order treadwrights you can actually specify what kind of sidewalls you want. I asked for BFG All Terrain sidewalls (the whole 3 ply thing). Plus they all match.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:20 AM

I have heard that my mpg was going to go down a bit. I will find out this week as I need to fill up today. (blah)
sts2usnss: next time your up in the area give me a shout on the forum. Maybe when can meet up and go wheelin. I only have Jeep buddy's here also to wheel with. Wish there were more yota's in my area!
Old 10-01-2008, 02:19 PM

I thought treadwright used the same type of sidewall per set. I'm leary now, I'd at least like to have each tire look the same. Plus they don't offer the size I want.
Old 10-01-2008, 02:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nicelets see some pics of em on the truck
Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hmmwv15
I thought treadwright used the same type of sidewall per set. I'm leary now, I'd at least like to have each tire look the same. Plus they don't offer the size I want.
You can request matching sidewalls on the web site. When I ordered mine and specified matching sidewalls I got a phone call within about an hour. The rep wanted to let me know that they had 5 Michellin carcasses that were the same but one wasa different series of tire. I could wait for a few days for the matching one to show up or just take the five they had and call it good, my choice. When I was assured that they all had the same ply, sidewall rating, psi rating etc I told him to send them. Got them mounted a day or so later, did the gears about a month after that to get closer to factory specs and in the last few thousand miles I haven't had a bad thing to say about them. They do really well aired down to 15lbs in the rocks.

What size were you looking for?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:27 PM

How are the TW's wearing compared to normal Mud tires?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by blackspyder
How are the TW's wearing compared to normal Mud tires?
I don't know if you were asking me or just in general. I've ran BFG Muds for years and so far the TW's seem to be wearing as well if not better.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can you see the seams if at all? looking on buying some within a couple months.
are they the ultras?
does anyone know how the ultras perform on the ice/snow from personal exp.?
Old 07-29-2009, 03:35 AM

This thread has been dead a while but I figured I would post up and let everyone know that the tw's are wearing excellent! I was getting 17 mpg before the motor swap and sas . I haven't been able to drive it so far, so I do not know what my mpg's will be. But I do recomend (sp) them!
Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 AM

I'm still liking mine although they are terrible offroad in snow. They tend to fill up and turn into slicks. I probably can eliminate that issue by airing down but I don't have a way to air back up yet.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkers88
I'm still liking mine although they are terrible offroad in snow. They tend to fill up and turn into slicks. I probably can eliminate that issue by airing down but I don't have a way to air back up yet.
Aren't most mud tires bad in the snow? I've always run AT because of the snow we get here but another thing you can do is get the tires siped and that will help with snow and wet conditions
Old 07-29-2009, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by bxlt
Aren't most mud tires bad in the snow? I've always run AT because of the snow we get here but another thing you can do is get the tires siped and that will help with snow and wet conditions
I actually siped them myself a while back but we haven't had any snow in months so I haven't had a chance to try them. These things are great on every other surface I've had them on so I really can't complain.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: got my tread wright d-muds today