Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Good And Bad News

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good And Bad News

Howdy all,

The good news is that I picked up my first yoda, an 86 22ret! And it's badass. Ive had it for about two weeks and smooth sailing up until yesterday. The bad news.

First off, it takes longer than it should first start of the day, especially when its cold. Talking CA cold so around 45... I know its an old truck but should it really be an issue? Turning on the engine and pumping the gas a little before trying to start seems to help.

Yesterday morning I got off at 6 or so and on the way home getting onto the freeway I kept feeling the engine stuttering or kicking, not sure how to describe it. It felt awful so I got off and looked under the hood, no unusual smoke or smells... Did I mention I'm not a mechanic? I drove home and it was still kicking just not as bad. Lack of power while stuttering too.

I took the truck to work again last night and she was fine! I got gas and when I started the truck there was some white smoke coming from the left side of the hood towards the cab. At one point I felt the same thing pretty faintly on the freeway. Until I got home. I could hear the coolant bubbling from outside so I popped the hood and both the coolant and radiator were making a pretty loud bubbling sound that continued for a few minutes at least. Did some research on the google machine and all fingers point to a leaking head gasket. I'm assuming the "stuttering" and bubbling are related. Theres a toda shop in the city I live that I'll probably take it to. Just looking for some insight into whatever is going on. Any help is appreciated!

86 22ret
4wd
225,000 original miles
about 10,000 on rebuilt tranny and engine

Mel
Attached Thumbnails Good And Bad News-img_0345.jpg  
Old 11-22-2016, 02:52 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Had you added any coolant ??

These engines are known for air pockets

When all is well that engine should fire on the first crank

Stepping on the throttle just gives it more air no fuel

Something in the Cold Start injector circuit might have failed

If that engine was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago something was not done right if the head gasket failed already

If it was on the left side I wonder if the turbo return coolant line is cracked

Coolant system pressure test
Old 11-22-2016, 02:58 PM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
nice truck.

pumping the gas won't do anything prior to starting. it only moves the throttle plate (and the TPS). not like a carb, where a squirt of fuel gets delivered.

the bucking could be a fuel delivery issue, or something ignition related.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Had you added any coolant ??

These engines are known for air pockets

When all is well that engine should fire on the first crank

Stepping on the throttle just gives it more air no fuel

Something in the Cold Start injector circuit might have failed

If that engine was rebuilt 10,000 miles ago something was not done right if the head gasket failed already

If it was on the left side I wonder if the turbo return coolant line is cracked

Coolant system pressure test
I am an idiot. The coolant was EMPTY. Just filled it and I'm going to take it to work so hopefully that was the issue. I trust that the rebuild was done properly but you never know. As for the smoke I'm not sure. Definitely going to take it in.

Thanks!
Old 11-22-2016, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by wallytoo
nice truck.

pumping the gas won't do anything prior to starting. it only moves the throttle plate (and the TPS). not like a carb, where a squirt of fuel gets delivered.

the bucking could be a fuel delivery issue, or something ignition related.
Thanks!

Ok now I know that only works for carbs, thanks haha! Could the bucking be an intake issue? Because my coolant was absolutely empty and the radiator looked dry. so if that wasnt functioning then maybe the engine just wasn't getting enough o2?
Old 11-22-2016, 08:11 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by MelH
... The coolant was EMPTY. ...
Uh, oh ....
Old 11-23-2016, 02:36 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by MelH
Thanks!

Ok now I know that only works for carbs, thanks haha! Could the bucking be an intake issue? Because my coolant was absolutely empty and the radiator looked dry. so if that wasnt functioning then maybe the engine just wasn't getting enough o2?
uh, if there was no coolant, your engine has issues. never a good thing to drive it without coolant. and adding coolant isn't going to make it better. you'll need to diagnose WHY it was out of coolant.