86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Goes in gear let out clutch nothing

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goes in gear let out clutch nothing

ok long story short im new to the site and to yota's. my 89 sr5 is broke out in the woods and it just snowed a foot and a half to make things worse. the truck will go into every gear just fine, but you let off the clutch and nothing happens. doesnt even drop an idle. its like its not engaging at all. no my transfer case is not in neutral. you can see the slave moving and doing its thing fine. i am 95% percent sure it isnt a burnt out clutch because it never smelt like burnt clutch and it was never slipping before. i was trying to make it up an oddly banked hill in 4h when all this happened. me and a buddy have been back to bleed the clutch and see if that solved anything but it didnt. just messing around with it yesterday if u put it in gear and rev it up it feels like it starts to grab at about 5 grand( wheels move just the slightest bit). i cannot see any leaks around the master or slave. i can hear the throwout bearing in the clutch when im in and out of the clutch. anyone have any ideas??
Old 02-04-2011, 06:02 AM

torn clutch hub or broken clutch fork?
Id call a buddy to pull you out I would never leave my truck alone in the woods
Old 02-04-2011, 06:12 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
have you tried 2wd to see if it would move?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 AM

ive had 5 different toyotas back there to try and pull me out, the snow is stopping everyone. yes i have tried 2 wheel drive
Old 02-04-2011, 07:09 AM

Im sorry to hear that I hope you get your truck out without having to leave it overnight
Old 02-04-2011, 07:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what u have done is tore the center of your clutch apart, im not sure if u have ever looked at a clutch disk but where the pop rivets are... u broke it there, i have done this, u are going to have to get it pulled out or drop the tranny there and change it, no way around it, if u can find someone that has a winch they should be able to tow u out with out too many problems. i know not what u wanted to hear..
Old 02-04-2011, 08:47 AM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
wheres the pics man!!! tie all 5 toyotas together then tie it up to yours , put chains on the 5 trucks pull her out .. get some pics !
Old 02-04-2011, 08:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^^^ good posting!
Old 02-04-2011, 08:55 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
^^^ what he said, it will look like the Budweiser beer wagon with Yotas instead of Clydesdales!!!

better get pics of that, I'm thinking Calender or Christmas card material for next season.

Good luck
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by fourbyfour
ive had 5 different toyotas back there to try and pull me out, the snow is stopping everyone. yes i have tried 2 wheel drive
Might be a good idea to list the location for us. I'll bet there are more members near you that would be glad to help. I'd hate to leave a rig out overnight, sometimes folks will just bust out a window and steal some stuff other times I've heard of people setting the rig on fire just to be D-bags.

Let us know where you are so we can help if we're close enough.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Selfishly subscribed for photos.

Really hope you're able to get towed out. Good luck!
Old 02-04-2011, 10:20 AM
RBX

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
I'd try to peek in thru the fork boot to see if there are any signs of damage....

Hope you get her out
Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by justin_4runner
what u have done is tore the center of your clutch apart, im not sure if u have ever looked at a clutch disk but where the pop rivets are... u broke it there, i have done this, u are going to have to get it pulled out or drop the tranny there and change it, no way around it, if u can find someone that has a winch they should be able to tow u out with out too many problems. i know not what u wanted to hear..
X2 this is my vote from experience.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
where are you if your close by i can help ya out
Old 02-04-2011, 02:20 PM

well, apparently there was someone back on the trail that a buddy of mine knows in a done up jk jeep, he seen my truck there and winched it to the top of the hill after calling my buddy and figuring out whose truck it was. he was the only one back there so he couldnt pull it out of the trail but he got it off the hill it was on. no that really wasnt the news i was looking to hear but it was something i expected haha. so you guys think i tore the center of my clutch apart? is this something that would happen all of a sudden like? because i never heard any warning sounds comming from it and it hadnt been slipping. anyways i live in Nova Scotia, Canada, which is probably not near many people on this site haha. lots of info on here though! any other suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated, as for now my truck is spending its third night alone in the woods.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:37 PM

I remember my clutch going out exactly how describe, except it was on a beach. I didn't realize it until I got passed the sand dunes, so I drove back to the cement going 5000-6000 rpms or so at like 5mph the whole way and my dad towed my truck back home with his ford f150 while I steered through town lol.

Replaced it in the driveway with the help of a large boat jack I borrowed, got it done in 3 school days, installing the last shifter in at 2 o clock and driving around felt so awesome.

One thing I wish I did though was properly install the throwout bearing with grease, or it was something like that, because now my tranny makes a high pitched squeaking sound when I let the clutch out.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:00 PM

yes it has happen to me, i would see if u can find a couple people and help u get it out of there, but u will need a new clutch.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM

Damn, This clutch center failure, does it happen a lot on these trucks? I have never heard of such a thing but seems to have hit several of us... otherwise I was guessing the engine or trans oiled up the clutch real good... but 5 grand for a minute and the smoke would give that away.

So does this happen a lot to these trucks? Other vehicles? Is there a better clutch center plate (is Aisan the way to go? others?)?
Old 02-04-2011, 03:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
shamelessly subscribed to see pics too. Sorry about that happening to your rig.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:12 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Clutch center failure? I'll believe that when I see it. Not untill.

Clutch friction material failure? Been there, done that, TWICE!!!

Aisin or bust!!! Pun intended.

Quick Reply: Goes in gear let out clutch nothing