Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

GoDan radiator = Transpro?....and other questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
GoDan radiator = Transpro?....and other questions

Howdy gentlemen.....and ladies (though, I don't see many around here.... )

I'm looking for a new rad for my '86 4rnr. Mine sprung a leak magically and oh so timely after I finished rebuilding and installing my motor. The fun never stops, eh?

So, I read about the GoDan AM replacements, and they seem like a good way to go. Particularly, after reading what Roger Brown has to say about them. The problem I'm running into is that I've either had to get some bootyhead on the phone who wants me to think he's cutting me a great deal, or I get some online chat board with a computer who doesn't care of you call it s***head and thanks you for doing so, or the company plain doesn't have Godan rads.

So, I'm asking if anyone knows where to get a GoDan 3core for a good price.....less the $180, hopefully. Of course, the lowest price is best.

And, is Transpro the same as GoDan and is the product being sold the same?

Note: I'm not particularly attached to the brand, just the design and quality. If someone knows of something equal and still a good price, I'm all ears......or eyes, as it were.

Thanks
Old 04-18-2008, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put a modine in my 1st gen runner and it worked extremely well..you may want to look into those as well
Old 04-18-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you have a CarQuest in your area, you can get a GD 3 core from them. The box mine came in said TransPro on it as well...so I'm assuming that they're the same people.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:14 PM

Thanks, guys.

Is that Modine a 3core? I've read some things about the company. They do sound like a quality brand.

Nope....no Carquest in this area. I didn't think to cal Advance Auto, though. I'll try them. I read NAPA and Auto Zone stopped carrying GoDan products, and O'Reilly has crap.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:25 PM

Yeah, I'd say Napa would be your best bet then. I don't recall AutoZone carrying GoDan rads...but I could be mistaken.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:56 AM

Okay.....AutoZone does have 3 core "SPI" radiator for $146. Has anyone ever heard of this company or used their products?

I did a little google research and found they are a Canadian company called Spectra Premium Industries. They claim to, of course, make top quality products, but who doesn't...right? The other thing, though, is that in some ad's I've seen, they are listed right alongside of the GDI as options.

Anyone got's input?
Old 04-19-2008, 08:24 AM

According to the receipt it looks like I bought a GDI from Checker/Schucks/Kragen in 11/00. 3 rows and so far so good.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:43 AM

I'm figuring Checker, etc. is regional chain in your area, no? What did you pay?

I've been doing reading and what I read says that radiators are all basically made the same....for the exception of construction materials. So, I'm thinking I might be good to go with this SPI unit. The way it's made and looks, it's no different than a GDI.

I'll look further into it all before I decide.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:19 AM

Yeah CSK is a big parts supplier in the West. I paid $180. Funny that 8 yrs later it's still about the same. Some good info here if you haven't already seen it. Pg 2 especially.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...09/index2.html
Old 04-19-2008, 10:48 AM

Good read. I hadn't searched that forum....just this one. So, thanks for posting it. There was some of that I knew, but some I didn't.

Apparently, when GDI merged with Transpro, they now call the company Proliance. I just had one of the best rad shops in town tell me what they're making now for aftermarket is junk. Lots of failures....or enough that they won't buy them. Hmmm...I may just go to AutoZone for the lifetime warranty. Who cares if I have to replace it every 7yrs. or so. It's a stinkin' easy job on this 4cyl.

The only thing that still has me questioning is the sizing of the tubes. I'll have to see if they are smaller on this 3 core than my present two core. If so, the rad shop explained they don't cool as well.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:33 PM

My GDI/Transpro/Proliance 3 row...or whatever they want to call themselves now, cools just fine. It was 90 here the past couple of days...and I ran the truck hard and the needle never went above 1/4 way on the gauge. So I'd say it cools alright But, go with whatever you think is the best deal, best product.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:15 PM

Yeah, I had to think for a bit about what he said and realize it's not totally true. Sure, the tubes on the 3 core "might" be smaller, but there's more surface area in contact with moving air on the whole.

From what I can tell, this SPI is going to be an equivalent product....that's all I really care about. Well, that, it has a lifetime warranty at a good price, and it's easily available. But, the guy at NAPA says though even though they don't normally carry the GDI...whatever ....he'll see if he can get one for me. Just depends on what it'll cost. Won't know until Mon., though.

The guy at the rad shop said he could, too. But, again, not until Mon. He also suggested I bring the leaking rad by there so he can look at it. It IS a copper/brass unit and could possibly be repairable, but I'm thinking once leak starts more are sure to come. I hate dealing with that crap. Reminds of me when I had my old '70 Chevy 1/2 ton. Big ass radiator with big ass leaks. I was cheap and using black pepper to seal them. Worked for a while, but what a pain. All that coolant... pulled off to the side of the road....pffft!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:58 PM

My new radiator just arrived 2 days ago from radiatorbarn.com - V.V.V.Fast shipping and not to bad at $170.10 inc. shipping.

Read some good things about their radiators on this and other forums when I was researching where to buy.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:20 AM

I've had a radiator that was chewed up so bad you thought there was no way it could be repaired; $15 later it was fixed & although it looked like hell it hasn't ever leaked (Yes I still have it) & the temperature only increased a little which isn't bad, if you had seen this radiator you'd agree. Imagine this, a 360 cid with an aftermarket fan (no clutch) revving about 3k when the radiator & fan contact about a 1/4 inch to as much as a 1/2 inch deep into the radiator. I'm still not sure how it happened, we were wheelin & then, there it was bu7t the repair was much preferred over an new radiator.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the tip, Rinky. I've seen that site.

Originally Posted by Brenjen
I've had a radiator that was chewed up so bad you thought there was no way it could be repaired; $15 later it was fixed & although it looked like hell it hasn't ever leaked (Yes I still have it) & the temperature only increased a little which isn't bad, if you had seen this radiator you'd agree. Imagine this, a 360 cid with an aftermarket fan (no clutch) revving about 3k when the radiator & fan contact about a 1/4 inch to as much as a 1/2 inch deep into the radiator. I'm still not sure how it happened, we were wheelin & then, there it was bu7t the repair was much preferred over an new radiator.
The nature of that repair is a tad different, though. Had I a puncture like that, then I'd just repair it. But, this kind of a hole is from internal rot. Once the metal starts breaking down and reveals itself in one place.....well, you know how rust is. When I drained the coolant the other day, it was rather rusty........and, it was brand new coolant less than a month old.

In order for it to be a decent repair and to prolong the life, I'd have to have it boiled out. By then, I'd be financially a 1/3 of the way into a new radiator. Besides, boiling it out doesn't guarantee much, anyway.

BTW, the rad I now have is an economy two row I bought from radiatorwarehouse seven years ago. Were it higher quality, I might consider the repair more strongly. And, I dislike that it doesn't have a draincock.

Last edited by thook; 04-20-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:52 AM

I thought you were dealing with a stock radiator so scratch what I said. I believe your radiator guy is screwing you if it costs a 1/3 the price of a new one to get it cleaned & painted + minor welding. The massive repair to mine included cleaning & paint & only ran me $45. Your making me curious how much my local guy would charge to re-core one like you have.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:32 PM

I figured you were thinking that. The factory/stock rad was shot. The PO had already destroyed it by the time I bought the vehicle.

Actually, that cost is fairly standard around here IF you can find someone who does radiators anymore. Not but a couple of shops around means they can charge whatever they want. Hell....even gas around here is atleast 10 -20 cents more than say down in Ft. Smith!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:44 AM

Conclusion...

For interest's sake, I decided on single core plastic tank, aluminum core radiator.

Read this thread for details...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...nother-143612/