Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Give me a list of what could cause my squeak!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the symptoms of my squeak, list anything you can think of that I should check.

- run of the mill squeak sound
- sometimes just one squeak, sometimes many in rapid succession
- happens going over bumps
- happens when i let off the gas and engine brake
- happens any speed
- does not happen when i jump on the bumpers in the driveway
- can't tell where it's coming from (front/back, left/right)

wheel bearings? clutch? front end components? brakes?
thanks!
Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 AM

try greasing the balljoints. you could have a buddy push up and down on the front of the truck and kind of pin point the squeak.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Exhaust rubbing on something?
Old 06-24-2009, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by dem0nk1d
try greasing the balljoints. you could have a buddy push up and down on the front of the truck and kind of pin point the squeak.
do the balljoints have zerks to grease? i've bounced up and down on both bumpers and it doesn't make the noise. i don't think it's suspension.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
i'll check again, but i just put a new muffler on a month ago. the exhaust system rattles a little, but i don't think it squeaks.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:57 AM
pwd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would say grease the ball joints... I had a similar squeak and it was really annoying. One day I was replacing a mudflap/adding a bracket and I took the front wheel off to have more room, I then noticed all the grime/grease/dirt on top of the thing that looks like a steering arm. After wirebrushing half an inch of crud, I discovered a grease fitting! I pumped it full and when I had it on the road, no more squeaking!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:23 AM

did you check u-joints?
Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
x2 on ujoints

and when you check them, actually disconnect them from the flages and move them around
Old 06-24-2009, 08:52 AM

how do you "check" a u-joint? take the driveshaft off and move them around? how will i know if one is damaged?

i greased them all recently and there was no change.
Old 06-24-2009, 08:55 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Yep, drop it off, move the ends around. trust me youll know, mine was so bad i couldnt move it by hand..
Old 06-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I recently found a squeak in the front end of my truck; it turned out the d@mn anti-sway bar connectors had worn through the hole on the lower control arm & the bolt was running up & down through the hole!
Old 06-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
I recently found a squeak in the front end of my truck; it turned out the d@mn anti-sway bar connectors had worn through the hole on the lower control arm & the bolt was running up & down through the hole!
I had that problem. After taking my truck into a feild and having some fun I had a HORRIBLE screeching sound, turned out it was those sway bar end links.

Good thing I tore that thing off and threw it away

If your squeak is only when unloading the drivetrain, I would start with your u-joints...
Old 06-24-2009, 10:37 AM

I say if all that other stuff checks out, take a look at your trans or trasnfer case mounts. Also look for loose bolts securing the crossmember to the frame.
If you see red rusty powder around any bolt heads that is a sure sign that things are moving around.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lumpy
This. I chased down a "noise" for 6 months with intermittent signs and symptoms. After one day out on the trails I had my friend get under the truck when i started it (that was when it always made noise) and It was the catalytic converter hitting the frame.

Even if its not this check most of the exhaust system and heat shields. If someone suggest something to you and you have already checked it CHECK IT AGAIN! I checked the catalytic in the very start and ruled it out that caused me to tear into all kinds of other things.

With an intermittent problem the best advice I can give is never rule anything out check it once twice three times. An extra set of eyes is always helpful even if they dont know much about mechanics.

I have had my friends girlfriend point out something we were trying to figure out for 3 weeks just because we both ruled it out. We had 2 transfer cases apart one worked one did not. We were comparing the working one to the non working one trying to figure out why a shifter fork was not making proper contact (these were heep tcases).

She walks buy and says "well this one has a blue plastic ring in it and that one does not" low and behold we forgot weeks before when we put in a lowering kit that there was a plastic spacer insert that needed to go back in. The point of the story is its amazing what outside eyes can do.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:45 PM

i went out and drove it down the street as jerky as i could. i think it is something on the driveshaft. i'll probably just have the whole thing rebuilt. hopefully that will take care of it.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:14 PM

ball joints have zerks. the lower one is inner of the spindle. the top ball joint, is on top.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:17 PM

1. mice
2. rats

Obviously your cat is bad. Replace it with a tenacious little terrier.

I lovem dem meesiz, bit I lovem dem rats more better. I lovem dem rats, real good. Yummy.

Keeping my beer safe from squeaks since, well this morning.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:28 PM

First question, have you changed ANYTHING on the vehicle lately? Next, do you notice it while slaming any of your doors, hood rear door? Can you take a rubber mallet and whack the frame, exhaust etc and recreate the sound? Do you notice the squeak after a rain? When it is dry?

A squeak can come from anywhere, from a loose body panel, to worn out bushings. I had a squeak I couldn't figure out just a few weeks ago, turned out to be the back of my new bumper rubbing on the fender. Bushings are also common, sway bar and A Arms are the usuall culprits.

Also take some WD 40 and suirt some it on and around the bushings on the A arms, steering stabilizer and sway bar bushings front and rear, let sit for an hour and drive down the same roads that have created the sound before.

Hope this helps
Old 07-08-2009, 03:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Did you figure it out?
Old 08-06-2009, 09:53 AM

Yessir, I found out it was the exhaust system squeaking. A bolt from my hitch was rubbing an exhaust hanger. Fixed it this morning!

Quick Reply: Give me a list of what could cause my squeak!