Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

General EGR question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
General EGR question

Will an unmodified EGR valve open when revving the engine anywhere from 1800 to 3000 rpms? NOT driving, just revving. I am trying to determine the cause of my EGR system deficiency after failing a smog check.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:47 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
yes. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...77exhaustg.pdf

How do you manage to make 190 posts, and not notice that people are constantly referring to the manual?
Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I appreciate your reply with the link, but why does everybody have to be such an ass when it comes to asking a simple question? I would have referred to that manual if i had access to it, but last time i tried to look at it, it was unavailable from the website i had seen it on before. SO I AM SORRY IF I FELT I COULDN'T SEE THAT INFO AND GOD HELP ME I ASKED A QUESTION ON A FORUM.

I used to work at an auto parts store for 7 years, there are several things I have a good and general knowledge of. This is a discussion forum for toyota enthusiasts, ranging from completely new users who couldn't identify the air cleaner box to those who could tell you what the clearance needs to be on a camshaft bearing from their own experience. One thing I have learned when it comes to dealing with people of any automotive experience, just teach them what you can without making them feel inferior. I have had a person come in asking me to take a look at their car, and when I get out there, they ask if it's normal for the engine to be hot. I took a moment to look at this guy dead in the face, thinking maybe he was just yanking my chain, but he was serious. He had no idea why his engine was hot. I took 3 minutes to explain to him in a very simple manner why his engine was hot. Afterward, his face lit up and he acted like I had made his day. I was pretty blown away that his ignorance level was that high when it came to such a simple thing. But I did not judge him and educated him without making him feel like he was an idiot.

Buddy, I don't know what kind of person you are, but if you are going to post replies on a forum such as this, take some kindergarten level philosophy into heart and just give some helpful information. No put-downs or negative responses are necessary. Or even hasty conclusions for that matter, such as me not noticing people are grabbing information from the factory service manual, which i did not know was still accessible.

But hey, like I said, you gave me some info I didn't have before, so for that I am thankful. Have a great day man! Win the lottery!

KCCO
Old 10-24-2013, 12:42 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
there is more to troubleshooting an egr valve problem than just what's in the farking manual.

if you really want to see how it works, put a cheap vacuum gauge in the cab, and plumb some of that cheap clear plastic hose out to the vacuum port on the top of the modulator... i'm running that right now.

1) is the egr pipe fitting on the back of the plenum warm? if not, exhaust gas is not getting into the plenum.

2) unplug the vacuum hose from on top of the modulator, and plug it up... plug a separate vacuum line into the modulator, and suck on it while the motor is idling, the motor should die or idle very roughly.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
There are no hoses "on top" of the modulator. But the test you are trying to give instructions for is clearly defined in the manual. So go figure.

Here's some more good info or you.
http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/h61.pdf

And yes, if the engine is sufficiently warm, as the answer to your original question.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:56 PM
osv

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MudHippy
There are no hoses "on top" of the modulator.
top of the egr valve itself, thanks for pointing that out.

but no, there isn't anything in the manual for 1)putting a vacuum gauge on that hose, and 2)checking for exhaust gas presence by the temp of the egr pipe
on a 22re, the egr is in blue, the modulator is in green:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  53.5 KB