86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Smell in Cabin (again)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Smell in Cabin (again)

I again have this bad fuel smell in the cabin of my 4runner. It seems to go away a bit during extreme cold waether (-10C and below) but since the weather has been hovering around 0C its back again!!

Ive taken it to a mechanic friend of mine who doesnt seem to want to take on the job. I think he's worried he will spend a heap of time on the issue and not find anything and then feel bad about charging me for not fixing it!

Id rather he do it for $40/hour than a shop for $80/hour!!

We have checked the fuel lines all the way from the tank to the filter and into the engine bay. Followed the lines all the way into where it goes into the engine and there are no physical leaks that we can see.

Im guessing the issue is in under the intake there which is probably going to be a bit of a job to get off.

Anyone know how long it takes to get all that off to take a look?

Anyone had a similar issue like this and might know of some places to start looking?

Not sure if this helps but I do run the heater/defroster alot these days so maybe the smell is coming in via the heater somewhere if that might give a clue (it may just be coincidence)

Although, I can only smell the fuel when stopped at lights or at the end of a trip. It doesnt smell when driving around.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 12-27-2010, 06:50 AM

Check your charcoal canister. Do you have an FSM?
Old 12-27-2010, 07:51 AM

I had the same problem.

No fuel leaks whatsoever, turned out to be all the exhaust gaskets were crap on the exhaust manifold (and the manifold was loose) so exhaust fumes were escaping and getting into the cabin.

Buy new doughnut gaskets for the bottom of your manifold (where it meets the 2-1 pipe), they're about $3 a pop and replace them. It's not worth pulling it apart to check them and then pulling it apart again to replace them.

My exhaust manifold gasket was also bad so I replaced that as well. No more fuel smells in my cabin afterwards.

The reason it only smells when you're stopped is because there isn't any airflow to pull the gases away from you before you can smell it.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Fishaa
Im guessing the issue is in under the intake there which is probably going to be a bit of a job to get off.

Anyone know how long it takes to get all that off to take a look?

I had to replace my injectors and after replacing them fix a few leaks so I had to take it apart more than once (4 or 5 times) but its not that bad just all those damn vacuum lines you have to label but by the 3rd or 4th time I could take it apart fix what i needed and put it back together in about an hr so I would say give yourself 2hrs
Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by NicCantDecide
I had the same problem.

No fuel leaks whatsoever, turned out to be all the exhaust gaskets were crap on the exhaust manifold (and the manifold was loose) so exhaust fumes were escaping and getting into the cabin.

Buy new doughnut gaskets for the bottom of your manifold (where it meets the 2-1 pipe), they're about $3 a pop and replace them. It's not worth pulling it apart to check them and then pulling it apart again to replace them.

My exhaust manifold gasket was also bad so I replaced that as well. No more fuel smells in my cabin afterwards.

The reason it only smells when you're stopped is because there isn't any airflow to pull the gases away from you before you can smell it.

Can exhaust fumes smell exactly like raw fuel? I thought the smell was different?

But I do like this theory, as I have noticed in the last 6-9 months that there is a "hissing" kind of sound coming from under the hood. Sounds like air flapping/escaping. This only happens on acceleration or when the engine is under load.

Maybe its the same thing, in that case I could kill 2 birds with one stone, and the stone doesnt appear to be too costly either if the gaskets are only a few bucks.

But I still think that smell is more of a raw fuel smell and not the same as exhaust fumes.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:01 AM

I have been working on mine for the same reason....I have already replaced 2 leaking fuel injectors and have just found a third one leaking. You can see 4 of the injectors when the motor is running using a flashlight but you have to know what you are looking for.

my wet injector

The leaking injectors were leaking around the body......be sure to check the o-rings first.

I pulled the upper intake and the fuel rail (passenger side) last night to access the 3 injectors in about 1 hour....but this was my 4th time in the last 3 weeks. You do not have to disconnect any of the vacuum lines on the passenger side....just disconnect the EGR on that side and tilt it up (see the pictures).

Last edited by clocklaw; 12-28-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Fishaa
Can exhaust fumes smell exactly like raw fuel? I thought the smell was different?

But I do like this theory, as I have noticed in the last 6-9 months that there is a "hissing" kind of sound coming from under the hood. Sounds like air flapping/escaping. This only happens on acceleration or when the engine is under load.

Maybe its the same thing, in that case I could kill 2 birds with one stone, and the stone doesnt appear to be too costly either if the gaskets are only a few bucks.

But I still think that smell is more of a raw fuel smell and not the same as exhaust fumes.
I know the difference between the smells, but I also have a tranny leak so the smells sort of mixed together. I'd say search for a fuel leak first like I did, since it is a little more dangerous than exhaust fumes, but the exhaust fumes can make you a bit loopy after awhile haha
Old 01-17-2011, 08:07 PM

Bad Injector

One of the injectors under the plenum was leaking pretty bad. Replaced with a used one and its all good now!!