Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Fuel Problem and No Spark Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuel Problem and No Spark Help ASAP

My truck have died and right now it is sitting about 80 miles away from home. I was driving on the hwy and suddenly the truck just died. No sound from the engine when it died. I park it and check fuel from one of the hose and there were no fuel flowing. So I tought it was the pump. Got a new pump in and still the pump is not pumping fuel. Test for sparks and no spark. I have not change the ignitor since the puchase so can it be the ignitor that cause the fuel pump not working? I don't get it. Fuses look good. EFI relay look clean inside the connector so from what I heard if EFI or relay went bad they will turn black between the connector. Tomorrow I will go back and replace the ignitor and will use my 2nd ECU to see what will it do. If not than I probably call pick'n'p to come get it. If anyone can think of anything why the fuel pump is not opeerating and no spark, if can give me a fix. The rotor does spin while cranking. I crank and crank, and no start. Any more info pls reply.

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 07-26-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy you must have had a little too much to considering your grammar makes it look like you dont even know your name... jk

But my first guess for a problem like that would be the distributor
Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 AM

jpsstewart3, sorry... Guess I need to get that part with me. Probably will buy me a use afm with me just in case. I'm thinking that the AFM need to get working properly for the fuel to be operating. So see what will happen.

Last edited by Guardian_Saint; 07-26-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:37 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Guardian_Saint
jpsstewart3, sorry... Guess I need to get that part with me. Probably will buy me a use afm with me just in case. I'm thinking that the AFM need to get working properly for the fuel to be operating. So see what will happen.
Saint--- To verify you have a fuel prob, turn the key from off to ign and listen for the fuel pump in the gastank. It will only run for 1 or 2 seconds and then will shut-off when the line is pressurized. Best if one person puts his ear to the fuel neck while the other turns the ignition on.

So, if you have fuel then you need to verify spark....the only dependable way I know is to unscrew the sparkplug, snap the wire on the plug and place on a grounded surface....observe gap while someone cranks engine.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:17 PM

Also, just for giggles, while checking the pump, disconnect the mass air flow sensor and try starting it. If it starts for a couple seconds then dies it's the MAF sensor.

My 4runner died just like what you described and that was the problem. There was no sputtering that led me to believe fuel was the issue, it was a quiet, calm, and sudden death.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:53 PM

Zuk. I did that. Listen and there is no noise coming out from it. I also use the screw driver and also no spark.

krytellan... Yes it did exactly what you said. If someday if my maf went south I will know what to do. Thanks for that.

But yo... I got it running!... (*_+)
So today I went to one of those toyota dismantle shop and bought me a ignition, and about to buy the distributor until the guy at the counter stop me there. Told me it is the ignition... It control the power. So got the ignition only. When I got there and tought my truck was gone, worrying that it might get towed or stolen for parts... But phew it kind of sit low between them trees and there it was... So I got there and install the new ignition and I went to start the truck. It turn but won't start. Fuel is still not pumping. So spent an hour looking around and holding the toyota dismantle business card in my hand and about to call it in to take it away from my hand. Than when I check the distributor 4 wire, no power. Check the afm wire, no power there either. What can it be? So I am guessing them fuses.. Check and double check it. All look good to me, no burnt. So when I turn the key to
"on" and I remember that the engine light should be turn on, so it is not. Got back to them fuses inside the engine hood and look around in the box for burn wire, and all look good. Then this one fuse that look wierd to me and the fuse lodge was bend toward the right but from the glass view it looks good. So I say what the hell and pull that out and pill the glass off and hold the motherlode it burnt... I got a fuse from the other car and put it in. Turn the key back to "on" and the engine light is there again. Check the afm wire and it light up. So I start it and it Zoooooom again... Well I wasted about 200$ on it and it was just the 3$ fuse... If anyone ever encounter this. It is the AM2 fuse 30A... It will kill the power to the afm, distributor. ignition and the fuel pump. The problem when the fuse blew is probably when I didn't fully use enough electrical black take on those wire from the coil way back when I try to upgrade the coil and it ended up touching each other and blew the fuse. But thank you all... I tought I will have to ship it away to them...

I have try to return the ignition but them shop only want credit, no cash back. I tell them this one is defective cause on mine it won't start. Don't know if the ignition will work on all 90-95 4runner cause I got one from a '95 and it still not working. Do they compaitible to all 90-95 4runner? I think I have a defect one? This is my second ignition from them by the way cause the first one did the same. no start. My 92' ignition work. If not than I will try to sell it through ebay.

Now, I have to fix my rear differriential cause it is leaking from the shaft so it could be a bad gasket. Than my bearing or shaft. ahh I could of use that money to fix those parts...

If anyone know about the front shaft than PM me? I need some question. I'll search for it if can.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:16 PM

I'm having the same issue to but the fuses aren't burnt and the check engine light doesn't come on.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomalex92
............. the check engine light doesn't come on.
do you mean you're not getting a flashing CEL code, or the light doesn't come on when you turn the key to ignition?