Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

fuel pressure regulator?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel pressure regulator?

I took on the unfortunate part of replacing my seeping valve cover gaskests. What a pain in the arse. I again realized the positive absoluteness of the 3.slow being a royal pain in the no power ass.
so anyways, after removing the upper intake and all the god forsaken vacuum lines and replacing the cover gasketsthen reassembling the ordeal... not as bad a reinstall as i thought seeing how all (mmm, hmm...most) the vacuum lines are pretty easily identifiable, I am absolutely almost positive each and every one went directly where it came from, replacing lines that were seeming in need of replacement.
Now I have this god awful noise that wasnt there before.
almost like a rod knocking i thought to myself and dismissed that to an overhead cam. bearing?... valve?... busted out the stethoscope and have nothing but normal machine sounds at the intake, block, head and valve cover.
I placed the stehoscope on the right side (drivers) fuel rail and "bam bam bam dinga dinga dinga chirp chirp chirp.. so seems the noise is from the fuel rail . I thought that maybe it was resonating through the hollow fuel rail until I then put the tip of the scope to the top of the FPR and whooooa...BANG BANG BANG POP POP POP... louder than anywhere..
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
this confuses me as the regulator is just a diaghram right?.... I mean there are no real mechanical moving parts inside here . now I am assuming the chirping noise is possibly the diaghram or relief bladder whatever in the FPR malfunctioning...but what the hell is the noise that sounds like something is disassembling itself. I thought that maybe something is blocked in the lower intake causing vacuum to be irregular or blocked off as the existing upper intake gasket went into about 5 peices when I took it off and a cpl bits into the lower intake (but am SURE I got it ALL out).
Then I found a long block 3vze used needing a ...guess what it needs fellas...lol.. yep
and seeing that its only a long block without intake etc for $300 ...I can dissassemble and remove the heads to get a look inside and hope its good enough to just replace the gaskets. going off topic, sorry...
Does anyone have any knowledge of an FPR doing ANYTHING like these noises at the fuel rail?...does it even make sense?
distributor?.... noticed the dist. felt the same as the FPR binging.... that actually wouldnt be so bad...lol... HEEELP

Last edited by DIRT CLOD; 04-11-2011 at 02:35 PM.