86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

fuel in oil sump/ heard carb buzzing night before

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow fuel in oil sump/ heard carb buzzing night before

my 86 toyota truck (22r carb. eng) ran great and i parked it.

next day, didnt start. (opened the hood, heard a buzzin by the carb, moved the flappers and it stopped).
NEXT DAY
really hard to start, but did so, and then found the cap/rotor needed attention (center metal to rotor was blown /gone,.. but it did start 3 times (no biggy, there are thousands of volts going through it, so i could work without direct contact...not my issue yet).

then, i found the oil to smell like gas.
drained the oil (it was difficult to see the level b/c of so much gas). and found a issue.

about 3 quarts of fuel in with the oil.

complete change/ oil filter looked brand new cause the fuel, but changed it out.

now, it seems to be holding up.

4 months ago, i drove it to work, and just as i got there, it spewed about 2 minutes worth of blue smoke.

automagically stopped. and drove it for at least 4 months on a daily basis.

now, it apparently kept the "mechanical" fuel pump on, over night and leaked a ton of fuel into the oil/sump...and hasnt done it since,

but on todays start =test, it started perfect, and after a few moments, started to pour blue smoke, turned it offl

restarted 3 minutes later, to find "clean burning"...

is this a carburator thing...
or a crazy- no-one knows thing...

any ideas..please.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:26 PM

bump for more claified post
Old 07-16-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
though I appreciate your clarifications... there is no way to keep a mechanical fuel pump working overnight: it requires the rotation of the camshaft in order to keep pumping fuel. So if the engine isn't running, the fuel pump isn't pumping fuel.

How did you come up with the figure of 3 qts of fuel? was it becuase your oil, when you drained it was 3 qts more than it should've been?
Is it possible that there was more oil in there to begin with?

Last edited by abecedarian; 07-16-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:04 PM

and even if you consider fuel pressurized in the line between the pump and the carb, it's only a few teaspoons at best.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the only thing that i can think of is that your gas tank is not venting properly through the charcoal canister, thus building up pressure, if you needle and seat in the carb doesn't make a perfect seal, then this pressure could be forcing gas into the carb causing it to over flow into the engine
Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 PM

and even if you consider fuel pressurized in the line between the pump and the carb, it's only a few teaspoons at best.

I'd like to see the chemical analysis of the oil from the sump / pan showing 2/3'rds of the mixture was oil.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 PM

thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by superjoe83
the only thing that i can think of is that your gas tank is not venting properly through the charcoal canister, thus building up pressure, if you needle and seat in the carb doesn't make a perfect seal, then this pressure could be forcing gas into the carb causing it to over flow into the engine

actually yes, my charcoal canister hasnt been connected since the p.o.
and again yes, my tank was very full (topped off, and summer heat may have a lot to do w/it)

Originally Posted by abecedarian

I'd like to see the chemical analysis of the oil from the sump / pan showing 2/3'rds of the mixture was oil.

how i figured that is by knowing i have 5 quarts of oil in the engine, and i check it regularly (fillup, and the night before the target time). and when i drained the oil/fuel, i measured that, and hence know i had 3_+ quarts of fuel and 4.5+quarts of oil...subtract the oil filter +.5.

a breakthrough.
when a senior citizen walked around, i questioned him, and he knew the "best old mechanic of his time", called him up, and we questioned him on everything he knows of this symptom...

said, there is a "needle" in the carb, and it my be stuck open. (and with a full tank, hot summer days, no charcoal canister, AND the fact it self fixes, what else could it be ?)

so,
buy a rebuilt carb/ setup another charcoal canister...(any ideas of $$_)

A strange thing, is when i replaced the old fuel filter (my 1st guess was no fuel) i couldnt stop the flow of gas...i removed the filter and it just kept pouring out the hose, i had to clamp it shut...(another hint..maybe---some one please tell me)
what should i do now...?
(honestly, thank you all for all the chimes...i am still confused on how i didnt get a hydro lock (and happy i didnt get that too)..
Old 07-17-2008, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The fuel pump thing actually happened to me, on a Dodge V8 I had. Nowhere near 3 quarts of gas, but the oil was definitely diluted with gas. Fuel pump still pumped fine, it just trickled gas into the oil. Replaced it and all was well.

The needle in the carb is also a possibility, as is the float in the carb (makes the carb stop accepting gas once its reservoir is full). The only way that I know of for that much gas to get down to the oil is if you have really bad piston rings - otherwise it just gets dumped into the cylinders, fouls plugs, gets pushed into the exhaust, and backfires a lot. It will also flow out of the top of the carb. I would do a compression test to check this, it'll tell you if it is a possibility. Here's the thing though: if the float was stuck or a needle was screwed up, it would have had to run like absolute crap for there to be that much gas in the pan. Nearly a gallon of gas passing through the cylinders into the pan over the course of less than 3000 miles? You would have noticed it running bad, if it ran at all. I'm no expert, though, I could be wrong.

New fuel pump for your stuff is $40, which is a little hefty to me but it could be a lot worse - you could have to drop the tank and pay $150 for the electric pump. Fuel pump for that old Dodge cost about $12 .
Old 07-17-2008, 10:31 AM

thanks
i guess i will try to buy a new fuel pump 1st, and then a rebuilt carb...
any other things i should do (like pvc)
Old 07-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Yep, replace the fuel pump first.

Rebuild the carb yourself. Rebuilt carbs are TRASH!
Old 08-31-2008, 10:43 PM

replaced the fuel pump, and "P.B.BLASTED" the carb.

i found that the fuel filter has a hole in the back, so it would've leaked out of that, but in fact, its fixed.

been driving a month or 2 now, at 1st just a few blocks and back, and now, im back to trusting the ole trusty toy again.

thanks for the help