86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Fuel Line Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:13 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Fuel Line Repair

I'm stumped on my fuel line. Does anybody know what size the hard line is from the flex line out of the tank to the union near the flex line going in to the filter?

Stealership can't get one anytime soon for reasonable $$$. Tried lame NAPA near me but the closest I can tell is it's 1/4" NPT with a flare??? That doesn't make sense.

4crawler if you read this, you know these things inside and out.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:43 AM

Fuel Line Repair

I'm stumped on my fuel line. Does anybody know what size the hard line is from the flex line out of the tank to the union near the flex line going in to the filter?

Stealership can't get one anytime soon for reasonable $$$. Tried lame NAPA near me but the closest I can tell is it's 1/4" NPT with a flare??? That doesn't make sense.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Have you tried any different dealers? Try Champion Toyota in Gulf Freeway, TX. I used to get lots of stuff through them. Talk to Jeff in the parts department. He's the man!

(800)- 327-2087

If my local dealer didn't already give me a screaming deal on parts, I'd still order through Champion. Give 'em a ring and see if they can help you at all.

I paid around $40 for a brand new OEM hardline that goes from the sofline near the tank all the way up to the fuel filter. Totally worth it.

I was able to fish it in from the front of the truck through the engine bay. I didn't have to remove anything at all, just takes a little bit of wriggling around.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 PM

Fishing it in isn't a problem right now as I have the bed and cab off. I was really trying to advoid the delay of having to wait on shipping.

To answer the million dollar question:

The fuel line is 6mm and takes 14mm x 1.5 thread double flares.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:59 PM

The fuel line is 8mm and takes 14mm x 1.5 thread double flares

Last edited by fierohink; 02-05-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Just Curious What was a reasonable time and price from the dealer..

I do know some parts people are lazy. But the do pull parts from all over the country some are here overnight some can take up to 5 days.

I know I couldn`t work on these trucks with a good relationship With My Toyota dealer parts people
Old 02-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Ah, very nice. Glad you found your answer, and thanks for posting it up for the rest of us to benefit from.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:53 PM

I deal with this satelite Toyota Dealer and ever since the previous parts guy left it's been down hill. So I know they have nothing in stock becuase their bigger dealer a few miles in to town has some inventory on hand.

They said the line could be in around Thursday of next week, keep in mind I started asking them about this at the beginning of the week. Plus they wanted like $130 plus shipping. I know the Parker Hydraulics guy can make braided stainless for way less than that and I could fab up some bulk hardline for even cheaper once I knew what size it was.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
is this the part you're looking for?

Originally Posted by corax
Here's the rest of the fix from that mess -
the fuel line on the frame rail of my '88 4runner was leaking right where it connects to the flex line going to the gas tank. the rest of the line running the length of the frame rail was perfect so I didn't want to replace the whole thing (though I thought of it). The problem was that it was just too rusted (this was after I just broke it off)

I found this kit at NAPA for <$15, the threaded fitting fits the existing flex hose and it comes with a compression fitting to attach to the existing fuel line (I've used compression fittings on PS lines, so 50psi of fuel pressure will not stress it). This kit come with 30" and 18" of line, but you could just use the fitting and use your own 5/16" hard line (brake line) if you need a different length

I cut off the original "flare" and moved the threaded fittign to the other end of the pipe - there is a slight crimp on the line (to prevent the fitting from falling off) that would have prevented me from making a nice inverted flare on the line. Note: I had to use a wire wheel on the end for the compression fitting to get it to slide on nicely

All done, hard line was bent using a tool I bought at some parts store ages ago
Old 02-05-2011, 02:09 AM

Red face

Interesting in my years working on Toyota vehicles I have never been charged shipping by the dealer.

I am about to replace a fuel tank and all the goodies before spring if I can find all the parts I bought.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2011, 02:00 PM

The parts guy said something about special orders. I wasn't really paying attention because I knew that I could get braided SS made up at the Parker store for around $50 and never have to worry about it again. In the mean time I snagged an 8mm compression fitting to make a temporary repair.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by corax
is this the part you're looking for?
Pretty much, although that would have been a temporary fix. As I said before my NAPA guys are pretty useless. The guy spent 30 mins trying to convince me that I had a tapered 1/4" NPT fitting. Um there's nothing "National" about an import dude. Try Again.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fierohink
The fuel line is 8mm and takes 14mm x 1.5 thread double flares

Originally Posted by fierohink
The fuel line is 6mm and takes 14mm x 1.5 thread double flares
So is it 6mm or 8mm? I would guess 6, but would like some confirmation before I order some stock.

After calling a couple of toy dealers, it seems the premade stock fuel lines are now discontinued. I will be fabbing some lines in the next week. Any info from you who have done this job would be appreciated.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:02 AM

Red face

I like the new Copper/Nickle line it is easy to work with and seems to stand up to the liquid brine that rusts every thing.

As long as the M14x1.5 flare nut seals I think 8mm is @ close to 5/16"

I have never had luck trying to flare old brittle line it just cracks.

Doing Brake lines as well??
Old 09-04-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So this is a really old thread but I have had luck asking questions on really old treads before. Did you ever get this fixed? I have a line that is corroded and leaking and I have the bed off and am nearly done the brake lines so I need to get this done. I am not worried about fabricating the line fuel line but I was curious to know if you had any luck with your repair and pitfalls and issues that you overcame. Specifically what size is the line? What flare does it use? and did you run a complete line front to back? I used fittings for the brake lines to do it without dropping the tank, not 100% sure that will work and if it leaks I may have to drop the tank. Wife says if I drop any more big money on the truck she will leave me, I am going to miss her. Thanks.