Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Front wheels toe in while in 4WD

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Front wheels toe in while in 4WD

Hello...... Guys I have a 1987 Toyota truck 4wd. 22r engine 5 speed tranny. 33" tires and balljoint spacers in front blocks in rear. All stock suspension settings. Okay anyways I just went about 3 days ago and had a new front end alignment think it would cure my problem. When the shop done the alignment they replaced my idlerarm. Other then that they said everything else was fine. K now to my problem....

When I lock my truck in 4wd the front tires seem to toe in making it a little difficult to handle. It only does it when I give my truck a lot of fuel or if I'm on a hard pull. I pulled a friends SUV up a little gravel hill last night and it done it really bad making my truck bounce left to right.

Has anyone else had this kinda problem. Winter is here and snow will be next here in WV. I'd like to have it figured out before I have to be driving in snow. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did the shop suggest anything else to replace on the front end? Does the it do the jerking while driving in a strait line? When I have my locked into 4x4, I get "grabbing" while turning.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM

No the shop inspected everything and that was the only thing that was bad. If I in a straight line and goose the throttle the front suspension raises up and the front wheels turn slightly tward each other causing my truck to bounce left to right were the wheels are fighting each other.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:28 AM

I would check ball joints and bushing on the arms. put the truck on a jack and grab the tire horizontally at each ends and push and pull it shouldnt have any play.

-My 2 cents.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Balljoint a have less than 1000 miles on them. I just replaced upper and lower when I installed my balljoint spacers. Just so people know it did the same thing prior to the balljoint spacers. And yes it only does it In 4wd
Old 12-02-2012, 11:43 AM

How's your steering stabilizer? Mostly, it just sounds like an exaggerated version of normal ifs operation. As the front end rises, the camber goes negative and the toe goes in. It's probably made worse by the 33's.
Are they 12.5" wide? I've experienced similar with my Runner, but they're only 10.5" wide 33's, so that could be why mine doesn't do it as bad as yours.
Old 12-02-2012, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
How's your steering stabilizer? Mostly, it just sounds like an exaggerated version of normal ifs operation. As the front end rises, the camber goes negative and the toe goes in. It's probably made worse by the 33's.
Are they 12.5" wide? I've experienced similar with my Runner, but they're only 10.5" wide 33's, so that could be why mine doesn't do it as bad as yours.
Yup, this is normal, you're putting a bigger load on the stock suspension than the original tires did so you're going to see this. There is also flex in the steering components. This is super common in the diesel drag racing and pulling world with IFS GM trucks like the first truck in this video.

Want to get rid of it? Run tiny tires, don't use 4wd or get a solid axle.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:18 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Think of it like this...what if the steering linkage were to suddenly disappear. What's going to happen when you hit the throttle and the front wheels begin to turn forward? Since there's nothing in between the steering knuckles(as in the steering linkage), as the wheels roll/pull forward, they will start to rotate inward towards each other in the front by pivotting of the steering knuckles. This would cause an instantaneous and drastic toe in condition to exist. And if you were then to put it into reverse and apply throttle, as the front wheels began to roll/pull backwards(pivotting towards each other in the rear), it would cause a toe out condition to occur.

If that isn't making much sense, just know this. When the front wheels are under power, pulling forward, they want to turn in towards each other in the front(toe in, or toe out under power in reverse). This is because they are connected to the vehicle on pivots(the steering knuckles). Basically, because they are steerable. And even good steering components can, and do, have a little play. Which will allow it to happen...

Anyway...it's more of a FWD thing, than a 4WD or IFS thing. Think about it......

Last edited by MudHippy; 12-02-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 PM

Thinking through it a little more, you shouldn't have a problem with this in the snow...at least not on the streets. I'd hope you're not hammering down(when you have the problem) unless you're snow wheeling or something like that.
Old 12-02-2012, 06:22 PM

My tires are 33/12.50-r15 and they are mounted on 12" wide wheels as well so yeah I do have a really wide tire. I drive my truck as it is my only vehicle besides my wife's XL7. My everyday driving is not affected by this. Although like I said before I am only really affected when I'm under a heavy pull. Me an my family are constantly out wheeling and I have never really had a problem with my steering. I geuss it was just more of curiousity then a real problem. But thanks for all the info
Old 12-02-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
See also...

Torque Steering & Bump Steer
Old 12-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyota~Boy
.... 33" tires and balljoint spacers in front blocks in rear.

... in 4wd the front tires seem to toe in making it a little difficult to handle. It only does it when I give my truck a lot of fuel or if I'm on a hard pull. I pulled a friends SUV up a little gravel hill last night ....
Originally Posted by MudHippy
See also...
Bump Steer
This sure sounds like bump-steer to me, exacerbated by all the modifications to the front end. Understeer can put you in a bad way in a real hurry; I would be very careful with that rig.