86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front LockRight Installed on IFS

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 10:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front LockRight Installed on IFS

Don't post too much here but wanted to start this thread for anyone debating on installing a locker on their IFS. Seems to be little info that I could find on people who are actually running them.

LockRight locker was $290 plus $250 installation. I was originally quoted $200 but after my mechanic actually started the installation he called me and said it was going to be more work than he originally thought since the front differentials are not as easy to get to as the rear but he would also change the front brake pads while he was at it. Fair enough.

So I got it back tonight and took it to some local trails. Everything I went through tonight I've done before but with the FL it was way easier and took less throttle to get through. Really liking it so far. Steering was a little tighter but not bad at all.

Well see over time how it does. I've haven't broken a CV yet and have read conflicting reports on having a locker on the IFS. Some say your more proned to breaks CVs and others say its better for the CVs since the power is now distributed to both wheels, makes since but we'll see. I know that is is a definite plus having to use less power to get through the same stuff. Also my suspension is stock so i don't have the CV at any drastic angles. I do have a 3" BL to clear the tires and also helps with clearance on the trails.

Also on a side note it's a "waste" to get an IFS locker if you plan on doing a SAS but my plan is to do a LT (probably a blazeland) in the future.

I'll keep you guys updated on how it goes, fingers crossed!
Old 03-28-2014, 11:01 PM

https://www.facebook.com/jeffrey.kel...3&notif_t=like

Here is a quick video from tonight with the locker. First time I tried this I got hung up/stuck on Toyotas monster Tcase crossmember bar. After that I put a budbuilt crossmember on it and was able to get over it with a little more throttle than I liked, with the locker much easier!
Old 03-29-2014, 05:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I wheel with a guy that has a detroit in the rear and a lockright in the front. IFS and stock suspension geometry. He has upgraded torsion bars and my old alcan leaf springs in the rear. 4.88 gears and 33" mtr's. He flat out embarrasses people on the trail. He make climbs look easy. If any one can get the front of an 86-95 rig locked in the front go for it if it is cheap. In regards to removing the front diff it isn't too bad with two people and some experience.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:18 AM

How long has he had the locker with the IFS?

btw I like how you name your rigs. We do the same thing. The 4runner is "Bueller"
Old 03-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JookUpVandetti
How long has he had the locker with the IFS?

btw I like how you name your rigs. We do the same thing. The 4runner is "Bueller"
For a wheeling season. He is hard on his rig too. The 4.7 transfer case in his rig, experience on the trail, gears in the diffs, lockers and armor all make for a tough little truck. When you put money and time in the right places these little trucks will drop jaws on the trail in stockish form. I personally like the "sleeper" aspect of his rig.
here's an example of a great local obstacle that looks small in videos but denies a lot of people.
and here he is driving up the damn thing like it is his driveway.
Now that he has the front locked he can take tougher lines and not beat his truck on the tougher stuff.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:54 PM

i run a locker and its awesome. after installing it and bj spacers i was breaking cva on every trip. turned out that the problem had nothing to do with the locker or the bj spacers, it was a broken steering stop. outside of that the locker, 488s and bj spacers all work perfectly running on 33s.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:39 AM

Great Video Mighty Mouse!

Good to hear Lobukbuild. Hopefully I'll be able to get mine out this weekend and put it to the test some more.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have a lockright+ifs installed in my 87 4r for 2 years. No issues as yet. I only use it when I get stuck and need to get out of a jam. You can't turn sharp with it engaged, but it climbs like crazy.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Very cool. I've always wanted a front locker too. The IFS really needs it when you start lifting tires so easily.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM

Yeah it does help. I'm hoping to take it out here soon but now having issues getting it smogged.