Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front diff

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 07:10 AM

Location: Henderson, Nevada. Two traffic lights away from Vegas!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front diff

I have a 1992 4Runner and was wondering if anybody out there has had to rebuilt their front diff due to wobbley shafts. I have only one wobbley shaft and its on the passenger side. No leaks yet but I dont feel safe four wheelin like that.
I saw on Erics page about the different diffs for the toyotas and read about the ADD having needle bearings and the non ADD not having those needle bearings and having the wobble problem. So is it just a matter of changing out those needle bearings and fixing the wobble problem??? He didnt mention if the ADD has that same problem too.
Another question would be that if and when I do get that fixed wouldnt it be smart to fix both sides and replace seals at the same time?
Also would anybody know what the cost would be on something like that? Would it be better to take out the front diff and take it in like that to a diff expert? Or just leave it in and take it like that.
I figure if I have to take it out it wont be like my truck will be down. I can still drive around without the front diff on. I searched on here and didnt find anything on fixing that problem. Saw some posts asking about the same thing. Even one were I had asked about the front wobble problem and nobody had an answer.
Need some help here. I would like to get that fixed before it becomes a really bad, leaky problem!!
Thanks yotatechers.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
im guessing your associating the wobbleing with the cv shaft? and if you dont have front lockouts your cv's are turning all the time, thus an unbalanced shaft would wobble or shake ..i think, i would start by checking things out seing if theres play in your wheel bearings and seing if your cv is bad, and if you do replace the cv ide look into getting manual lockouts so they dont wear as bad
Old 06-08-2009, 07:36 AM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Yeah if it's CVs that are wearing out (which is much more probable than the diff giving up) then throw some manual hubs on there (PM me about it if you want - I just picked up a nice used set of them). If your diff is going bad, then I would suggest just picking up a used one from someone. People do SAS's and practically throw those away (including me!). Then you could use it or regear it as necessary.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Are you talking about your shafts moving on the diff side or the hub side? My CV's always had some movement where they came out of the diff. If it's wobbly on your hub side it has nothing to do with your front diff it's probably your spindle bearings.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:41 AM

front diff

Right where the cv shaft bolts to the diff is the part that has a little wobble to it. And yes I already have already put on manual hubs. One of the first things I did.
I also have new cv joints. No problems there. Its the short shaft on the passenger side that has some play in it. When I did the cv replacement that short shaft was ok. It wasnt till later that I was underneath my 4Runner and I happen to grab that part and I could just wiggle it a little bit.
Feels liike something inside the diff could be worn out. I really dont know?
Do you guys know what Im talking about now? I think its called the axle flange.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:44 AM

Almost forgot! My wheel bearings are good too UK Myers. Maybe I'll have to swap it out with a used one like Rustbucket mentioned. Unless its cheaper to rebuild??
Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stangmandan
Almost forgot! My wheel bearings are good too UK Myers. Maybe I'll have to swap it out with a used one like Rustbucket mentioned. Unless its cheaper to rebuild??
I know what your talking about mine did the same thing before I torched it out. I would not worry too much about it unless it starts pissing oil. It would prob be easier to find a whole unit and swap it out rather than mess with rebuilding yours unless you plan on regearing at some point. I sold mine for cheap when I did my SAS and it had Yukon 4.88's on it. Some of my friends just gave theirs away.

Here's an exploded view of the diff.. Does not look like there are really any bearings in the carrier there

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...le/24disas.pdf

Last edited by UKMyers; 06-08-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:00 AM

Well UK Myers I have the tools and the know how to do a SAS, but not the money and the time. Rats! I would love to go that way but its just not gonna happen. At least not any time soon. Toyota!! Why didnt you just keep the solid axle!!!!!
Well its not leaking so I guess Im good for now. I just hate to feel that wobbleness when its not suppose to have it. Guess I gotta start looking for a used front diff.
Darn it!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:06 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yea like uk said, if its not pissing out oil not to much to worry about. unless its loose (like a broomstick in a garbage can) but if its that loose then it should be leaking oil

oh and i believe there is a bearing and a bushing that can be changed on the long side, and just a bushing on the short side. (looks just like the spindle bushings).
Old 06-08-2009, 09:27 AM

Thanks Toyota 1. I just feel like it will eventually get to the broom stick in a garbage can and then I wont be able to 4 wheel it. Well if thats all it is just a bushing I better get on it soon. Dont want to see the dreaded drips coming from a leaky front diff.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hmmm i guess there is only a bearing on the longside and no bushings anywhere in there. im sure ive seen bushings in there lol. anyway heres a link that might help, it shows the bearing im talking about, http://www.toyotapartsamerica.com/pa...layCatalogid=0

is it the long side thats loose or both?

if its not causing you that much trouble i wouldnt mess with it.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:08 AM

Its the short side on the passenger side. I havent had this 4Runner for too long. i bought it from a friend cause it had blown the headgasket and he is not the hands on type. I rebuilt the motor and replaced just about everything else on this truck including springs, shocks, brakes and all fluids and even headers with a new exhaust. MAN was that an expensive ride!!
Anyways I've gotten this far and Im just about done working on it. Just want to get this problem out of the way. It really bothers me cause I know its just gonna get worst.
What to do? What to do?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Wheel it like you stole it!
Old 08-31-2009, 05:38 PM

Did you find a solution ? I've got the same problem, been watching for a solution !
Old 08-31-2009, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

Mine is looser than a ...... well, it's loose. It moves a lot more than the stub axle on either of my other 4Runners. But, it's not leaking or causing any issues on or off the road. I'm just going to run it! No biggie, tons of spare front carriers lying around anyway.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 AM

front diff

Well guys I havent gotten to tearing down my front diff to see whats causing that wobbley shaft. I talked to a guy who works on diffs and he said that either the needle bearings are going out and the shaft could be mushroomed on the end cause of the needle bearings going out.
I probably wont get to it just yet. My seals arent leaking so I am going to save up for the seals and all other gaskets and if it needs the bearings and shaft and just do that all at the same time. Pretty much rebuild the front diff. Get it all at once.
If I go this route I will try to post some pics up of what I did. Good thing about it is if i do yank out the front diff I can still cruz around without the front diff in.
ZUK! I will be reading your pages back and forth to help me out!!!
Wish me luck!
Old 03-10-2011, 01:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
any new news on this?
I have the same thing. Just pulled my diff out and 1/2 apart. the RH output shaft of the front diff has A LOT of play. when looking inside, the play is all in the needle bearing and the side RH side gear. not sure what is cause and effect but I guess the needles bearing went and wore the side gears slowly etc... the LH side seems completely fine. I never noticed the prob much but before I removed the diff today the car would pull hard right only in 4wd.
anyone have a good used ADD diff for sale?
Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 AM

Just rebuilt mine for the same reason except mine was leaking oil. When I removed the short shaft it was all gauld up so I removed the carrier and it was wallered out. Replaced the carrier with a trutrac and now just waiting on parts to finish it up. I did replace the shaft too with a new one $100 bucks and toyota says theres only 3 left now in the US.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:52 AM

And there are no bearings on the short side.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:01 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by spitfire4
any new news on this?
I have the same thing. ?
OP has not been on since 12-21-2010 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire4
any new news on this?
I have the same thing. I never noticed the prob much but before I removed the diff today the car would pull hard right only in 4wd.
anyone have a good used ADD diff for sale?
check the YT classifieds or this link also has some sources:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114...rs-etc-221643/

Quick Reply: Front diff