Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Front brakes dragging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front brakes dragging?

90' 22re

I think my front brakes are dragging more than they should. When I have the front end lifted up it I need to use two hands and put quite a bit of force to be able to turn my front wheels. When I removed the calipers the wheels moved with ease. I re-packed the bearings and correctly applied the rolling torque to seat them properly last summer so I don't think it could be that. Could the calipers be causing this? Re-build them?

Also on a side note, I need to disconnect the steering arm from the knuckle in order to remove the calipers because the hard line is connected to it. Will unbolting the steering arm screw up the alignment?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:40 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Your missing something no need to remove the steering arm to remove the calipers

Unless you have some custom brake line set up it has been so long I need to look .

Have you driven the truck if the front brakes are dragging you get the smell of burning brake material
Old 10-30-2016, 03:31 AM

removed the calipers or just pulled the pads out?
is there any noise?
abnormal pad wear?
are the discs hot after driving?
is it both wheels?
is there any bearing play?

a little more info, please.
could be sticky piston(s)
Old 10-30-2016, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
Your missing something no need to remove the steering arm to remove the calipers

Unless you have some custom brake line set up it has been so long I need to look .

Have you driven the truck if the front brakes are dragging you get the smell of burning brake material
Yea I guess I can just thread in the bolt that's holding the brake line bracket back into the steering arm. No smell and the pads do not look worn.

Originally Posted by robertd33
removed the calipers or just pulled the pads out?
is there any noise?
abnormal pad wear?
are the discs hot after driving?
is it both wheels?
is there any bearing play?

a little more info, please.
could be sticky piston(s)
I removed the whole caliper with the pads still in there and managed to slide it back in somehow. With no caliper the wheel turned with ease.

No noise
No pad wear but I rarely drive this thing. Only put on maybe 1000km since I put in new pads and rotors last summer.
Hot after driving as in take it for a drive and not use the brakes and see if they're hot?
One side seems to be not as bad.
No bearing play.