Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Freshly rebuilt 22r. Turns over but won't start.

Old 04-21-2017, 02:43 AM
irv

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Freshly rebuilt 22r. Turns over but won't start.

Just completed a fresh rebuild of my 86 22r. It cranks strong and steady but just won't start. Every few seconds a puff of gasoline shoots out the top of the carburetor while it's cranking. So it's definitely getting gas but it just cranks and cranks and cranks without fully firing up. I'm going to do a compression test and a spark test tomorrow. I've just desmogged the truck and am using the stock Aisin carb. I'm near positive that all other wires and connections are where they should be. She's full of fresh oil and coolant. When I installed the distributor I set #1 piston at TDC and set the distributor to the #1 piston position - from what I understand this is correct. Any tips or thoughts?

Last edited by irv; 04-21-2017 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is your idle circuit cut off solenoid getting power? Off the top of my head that is all I can think of other then checking spark.

grey
Old 04-21-2017, 12:51 PM
irv

Originally Posted by greyheadedguy
Is your idle circuit cut off solenoid getting power? Off the top of my head that is all I can think of other then checking spark.

grey
Interesting thought. I don't actually know what the idle circuit cut off solenoid is. I'll google search for it. Anything additional that you might want to tell me would be excellent too.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:24 PM
irv

I am following the vacuum diagram attached. However, I omitted the top circled hose. And the bottom circled area I have located at one of the side ports where the arrow points. At the moment I also have both hoses leading to the distributor capped off. I just didn't have the proper hose on hand yet but I will have them attached soon. All other openings are plugged. Should any of these things prevent the truck from starting?

Old 04-22-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by irv
I am following the vacuum diagram attached. However, I omitted the top circled hose. And the bottom circled area I have located at one of the side ports where the arrow points. At the moment I also have both hoses leading to the distributor capped off. I just didn't have the proper hose on hand yet but I will have them attached soon. All other openings are plugged. Should any of these things prevent the truck from starting?

Look at the carburetor rebuild section for the solenoid, I have attached a couple pages,

grey
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Cut off solenoidl.pdf (97.9 KB, 112 views)
Old 04-23-2017, 11:54 PM
irv

So I found my answer. I had the distributor installed a tooth or two off. It's now running fantastically. It's great having all of the smog equipment removed as well. Funny to have a heavy box full of stuff that was removed and won't go back on. I'm still doing a bit of troubleshooting on the carb. I'm following the above vacuum diagram and I've got the Hot Air Intake and Automatic Choke working but the fast idle isn't working for some reason. I turn the fast idle screw and it changes nothing.

Search this Thread