Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Frame repair

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Frame repair

Am welding in a used rear half frame and want to pull the cab to get as far forward as possible, scrape rust and paint, etc. Should I bother to pull the cab off? How long and how much work is it to pull the cab? Thanks!!
Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 PM

i think i might try and find a full frame and just swap bodies. i would be concerned about keeping everything aligned sectioning in a used frame section. it is a pain to r&r the cab but i guess it depends on the overall condition of the truck and the time you have to invest in this project.

Last edited by wheatus; 06-09-2009 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by wheatus
i think i might try and find a full frame and just swap bodies. i would be concerned about keeping everything aligned sectioning in a used frame section. it is a pain to r&r the cab but i guess it depends on the overall condition of the truck and the time you have to invest in this project.
My thoughts exactly. I work in a body shop and i would never section in a half of a frame. It is too dangerous.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:59 PM

You are better off swapping the whole frame or repairing the rotted areas. But if you are good you could do half and half.

It is only six bolts the hold the cab on the frame. Two behind the front bumper, and the other 4 are access under the carpet in the front of the cab and in the storage boxes if you have an extended cab. You can raise the cab up about 2 inches or so to get stuff out of the way. Beyond that and you will need to start disconnecting a bunch of stuff.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:39 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking

I have started to look at projects like that as if I was going to be billing a customer .

When you sit down and figure time and materials it would be much cheaper not to mention easier just to go buy another truck just the way you want .

If you have all the needed tools and have done this before or at least done a few frame stretches . That you have an idea what you are in for . I am sure you know all the tricks about keeping the parts from twisting when you cut them apart

Also at least one good helper at sometimes you will need 3 of you just to get things square and level
Old 06-10-2009, 04:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya... If you pullin the cab abyway..... your already half way to a complete swap over, Just pull the motor/tranny after you pull the cab, and install it in the new frame before putting the cab on....
Old 06-10-2009, 08:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wyoming9
I have started to look at projects like that as if I was going to be billing a customer .

When you sit down and figure time and materials it would be much cheaper not to mention easier just to go buy another truck just the way you want .

If you have all the needed tools and have done this before or at least done a few frame stretches . That you have an idea what you are in for . I am sure you know all the tricks about keeping the parts from twisting when you cut them apart

Also at least one good helper at sometimes you will need 3 of you just to get things square and level

HEs totally right. The last yota I bought had quite a bit of frame rot behind the cab. So I decided to pull the bed assess the sutiation and what I found was frame rot all down both sides of the back half. It took me about 2weeks working 3-4hrs a day 5days a week while at work. BAsically I cut everything bad out. Even soft spots that there were no holes. I basically beat the frame wit a ball peen hammer to find these soft spots. Then after I had everything cut out I had to start making templates for all the pieces I had to fab up. Then after making the patches and welding them in I wire wheeled the whole back half of the frame and prepped it for Eastwoods rust encapsulator and chassis black. It really came out great. However. Would I do it again?? IT would take alot for me to do this again. Simply because of time. I would listen to these guys and maybe just consider selling yours and buying what you want( rust free truck) or do a frame swap. But that is going to be alot of work as well. Here are some pictures of my old yota when I was just about done with the frame.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do. And If I can be of any help please just let me know.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:09 PM

If you are going to section in the frame at least make sure you notch it to make a strong weld. What i mean be this is cut the top part of the framesection in an L notch and the bottom part of the frame in an L notch the opposite way. If you look on powerblocktv.com they might have some pics of the 64 or so chevy pickup that they made into a shortbed from a longbed on Trucks. They made the L type of notch when they welded the frame back together.