Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

four wheel drive NO WORKY! help

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
four wheel drive NO WORKY! help

so i was out playing around this past weekend and i got stuck in 2 wheel drive so i go and put it into 4H and the front tires were not spinning!!! my back tires were about 6in in the mud.

I just bought this truck, it was a REPO. so im not too sure whats all been done to it..

EVEN if i put it into 4L the front tires Do not SPIN!! not too sure what could cause this, can anyone help me??

94 4runner and auto locking hubs..

i'm going to buy some warn manual hubs soon, i called baxter auto parts and they want $190.00 but theey ask if i had A D D... WHAT IS A D D , LOL and if i did i would have to buy a nother kit for $100.00.

Last edited by davidshocker; 05-24-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:29 PM

What year? Truck or 4Runner? Manual hubs? Where they in the locked position? More info is needed 'bout your rig, to successfully help you with your problems/troubles.....
Old 05-24-2009, 11:09 PM

it could be a disconnected vacuum line. mine didnt work aafter the body lift cuz the line got ripped out. check on the front diff and see if you see some vacuum lines missing
Old 05-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
oh boy, here we go

There's 3 types of hubs:

1) Manual (you have to get out and engage the locking hub at the wheel youself; the drive shaft and front axels are always locked together, but only spin when the transfer case is put into 4wd)

2) ADD, or Automatic Disconnect Differential (just as the name implies, this system disconnects one of the axels in 2wd, keeping the front drive shaft from spinning. the downfall to this system is the hubs, or lack-there-of. they consist of a drive flange at each front wheel, that permanently locks them to the axel shaft, so that the shaft is always in motion while driving, which usually leads to faster CV ware and tare)

3) Automatic Hubs (you can think of these hubs as having an almost ratcheting way of working. they ony engage when a force is sent through the axel shaft FORWARDS; these hubs will not engage in reverse, therefor Auto Hubs = no reverse 4wd... I know, stupid... but these at least do not keep the axels spining during everday driving)

But, as Freak said, we need to know EXACTLY what hubs you have to diagnos a little further

if you could, post a pic of what you've got; we can tell you really quick what you've got, and go from there

sounds like maybe you have ADD (the drive setup, not the disorder ) and a line has come undone, as Gary mentioned

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-24-2009 at 11:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:22 PM

Sweet u guys are very good, u should write a book LOL..

Old 05-24-2009, 11:27 PM

yep thats an add hub
Old 05-24-2009, 11:38 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Talking

If I read all the posts correct.

You got stuck at that point you engaged the transfercase to 4 H did you try and back out if you did the automatic hubs will not engage.

I don`t trust those things if you went forward one hub could have engaged and the other didn`t or neither one of them engaged either way one axle was spinning and not the tire .

Unless of course it is a problem in the front differential or transfer case.

I am curious just how did you extract your self.???

If you want to convert over to the manual hubs and don`t have the time to run around and get parts the hundred dollar kit is not a bad investment .

You only need the thrust washer s the nuts to hold the bearings and the locks and the new hubs of course.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:46 PM

If possible dont buy warn hubs. Im not quite sure if you can do the swap on a 94 but Id recomend getting some original toyota hubs and you will be much happier.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:48 PM

i try to go forward but like i said both of the front tires would not spin! how did i get out, i had my friend with his 91 4runner pull me out..

and yes u can do the swap on a 94 for warn hubs, u just have to but a extra kit for the hubs for $102.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
If I read all the posts correct.

You got stuck at that point you engaged the transfercase to 4 H did you try and back out if you did the automatic hubs will not engage.

I don`t trust those things if you went forward one hub could have engaged and the other didn`t or neither one of them engaged either way one axle was spinning and not the tire .

Unless of course it is a problem in the front differential or transfer case.

I am curious just how did you extract your self.???

If you want to convert over to the manual hubs and don`t have the time to run around and get parts the hundred dollar kit is not a bad investment .

You only need the thrust washer s the nuts to hold the bearings and the locks and the new hubs of course.
\\he has add hubs not auto. and also just buy the aisin hubs from the autowrecker and just take it apart and regrease everything. and it will just bolt in.

Last edited by gary96360; 05-24-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
You're front diff is not engaging. It's probably the vacuum lines that actuate the Automatic Disconnecting Differential. Those of you telling him to get manual hubs, that will not help him!
Old 05-25-2009, 12:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
yeppers, that's an ADD flange

actually eaiser to swap to Toyota/Asin hubs than you might think if you want to swap to manuals, I would DEFINATELY look into factory Toyota ones, not Warn's or whoever many reasons why; I'm not going to get into it

hit the seach button; there's TONS of threads about it

but you problem probably does lie in the differential disonnect, more so the the vaccum lines running to it

if you do the swap to original manual hubs, keep the drive flanges you remove; they come in handy for trail fixes if for whatever reason a hub gredandes on you

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 05-25-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:00 AM

check your vacum lines that would be my best bet
Old 05-25-2009, 07:30 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TNRabbit
You're front diff is not engaging. It's probably the vacuum lines that actuate the Automatic Disconnecting Differential. Those of you telling him to get manual hubs, that will not help him!
x2
Old 05-25-2009, 08:53 AM

It's either the vacuum lines, or 1 of the 3 VSV's themselves. They are on the passenger inner fender wall, close to the firewall.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:47 PM

i have a 91 toyota pickup and it is stuck in 4wd to

i have manuel hubs.

the 4wd light wont go off and when i unlock the hubs and put the t case into neutral and try to drive forward nothing happens the truck wont move.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Skilo47
i have a 91 toyota pickup and it is stuck in 4wd to

i have manuel hubs.

the 4wd light wont go off and when i unlock the hubs and put the t case into neutral and try to drive forward nothing happens the truck wont move.
if it won't go in to 2hi, try backing up or pulling forward a few feet.

FYI- when you put the t-case in neutral, it won't spin the rear driveshaft.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM

stuck in 4wd

yes but my problem is it's stuck in 4wd im trying to get it to go back into 2wd .

is it possible the t-case is low on fluid? does it even take fluids? grease? oils? lol wtf is in that thing? XD

im sorry im no mechanic =(

anything you can recommend would be greatly appriciated though.

*edit*

also i tried driving back and forth a few feet but it didnt do anything.

and my lever wont go into 2hi it says it on the lever but the slot dosent seem to exist.

maybe the previous owner took it off for some reason and didnt put it back on right.

i usally just unlock the hubs and put the t-case into nuetral and the 4wd light would go off .

Last edited by Skilo47; 05-26-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 PM

is the engine in neutral when trying to put it back into 2wd?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:25 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Skilo47
i have manuel hubs.
hmm... so many things i could say...

Quick Reply: four wheel drive NO WORKY! help