86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Ford driveline swap 90 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford driveline swap 90 4runner

Ok so here is a few things I am wondering.

1 ford 302 with manual trans and t case in a 90 4runner with ifs. I don't rock crawl or anything like that. I want it as a daily driver, mostly to take camping and fishing. And I don't want a sas in it. Just wanting to know if it is possible before I start digging into this to find out it won't work.

2 if anyone has done this kind of swap any info would be of great help.

3 also I want to keep this veh with a/c and heat. Is this an option?

This is my plan as far as suspension goes. Long travel suspension from blazeland. And LC COILS IN THE BACK. I don't want to run over 33 max 35's tires I want to keep it as close to factory ride height as possible. I know the LTS is probably more expensive than a SAS. BUT I like the IFS. PERSONAL CHOICE. LOL.

I KNOW MORE THAN A FEW OF YOU WILL TURN YOUR NOSE TO THIS. BUT it maybe something different than others have done. It maybe and most likely will be a pain in the ass but I would still like to get it done.

Again any helpful information will be greatly appriciated.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:52 PM

Lots of people have done 302 swaps, search, you'll come up with a bit. And really i don't think anyone will rag on you for wanting to keep IFS, other than the pure fact the V8 will be slightly heavier and harder on the front end. That's it. I'm not too familiar with long travel set ups.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a toyota 3.4 swap would be way better, more relaible, and get better gas mileage.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I did a Ford 302 V8 conversion on my 1986 xtra cab. Did it back in 1998 or 15 years ago, and its been plenty reliable. Have had some electrical issues here and there but that is due to my hack job wire harness and remote battery location. I'm getting about 14 MPG.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f158/

Originally Posted by HighLux
a toyota 3.4 swap would be way better, more relaible, and get better gas mileage.
This. For what you want, the 3.4 should put out plenty of power and still give you great mileage. Plus, it's a lot less fab work. You say you need it for a daily driver, so the quicker you get it done, the better.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. Here is my deal with the 3.4 vs 302. The 3.4 is about 60lbs heavier than my 302 with everything on it.. So I gain weight with the 3.4 and lose hp and torque not to mention cost of parts for the 3.4.

As far as fabrication goes only things I see needing to be done that is crucial is motor mounts transfer case mounts.. The 3.4 is much wider top end than the 5.0. I won't have to worry about fan clearance being I already have an electric fan on the veh with an oversize rad. As far as clearance goes for the front dif I don't see it being to hard to either use a double sump pan or possibly having to do a small fab on the oil pan for clearance.

As far as gas mileage goes the motor was getting roughly 20mpg on the highway and around 14-16 in town before I pulled it. And I don't have the lightest of feet. Which is better than I get I'm my 4RNR now. As far as wiring goes it is going to be a pain in my a$$ either way.

As far as the drive lines goes I know the rear will have to be shortened and the front lengthed.

My biggest issue is the ford t-case fitting.. It came out of an old bronco. The rest of it came out of my fox body.. Motor/trans.

Now with all that said I am not certain about the motor as it is just speculation, fitting. My whole thing about the motor is I don't want to have to start cutting the frame and building a tubular front end to get to sit in place. Because I can only take so much out of the oil pan before I risk starving the motor of oil.

Because my main goal of this build is to keep it as close to stock ride height as possible. I don't like lifts really... I would rather get the most travel out of it without having to get a ladder to get in it. Haha.

As far as DAILY DRIVER. it is my DD now but once i start I will just drive my other veh. My point is I would like to make it a daily drive. I don't want a huge rock crawling veh. Really what I want is more of a sleeper but something that if I take it out camping or fishing/hunting. I will still have a reliable functioning veh.

If and when I do this it will be done right. Not trying to nock this out in a week end or two. Figuring for a good solid 2-3 months. From start to finish. If not longer.

Last edited by 1990goldrunner; 11-06-2013 at 10:29 AM.