Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Floor mats on a 1987 pickup. Drill into the floor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Floor mats on a 1987 pickup. Drill into the floor?

I got some nice rubber floor mats but they keep sliding around a lot and they're driving me crazy. Anyone ever drill into the floor and out a bolt/washer to keep them in place? I'm a little hesitant to do this for obvious reasons.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:41 AM

Received 820 Likes on 648 Posts
Well, you could put some silicon caulk on the holes ....

But, wait! You could just put some caulk under the mats!

(Do you have decent carpet underneath the mats? Why don't you try some peel-and-stick velcro. Just use the hook side on the mats; I'll get they'll grip the carpet well enough.)
Old 12-12-2016, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have vinyl all over the floor, not sure if that is standard or not but no carpets at all. Vinyl is in nice shape though.

If I did velcro, I'd have to attach a side to the vinyl and I'm not even sure that'd work well.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:53 AM

Just plain silicone then. If you pull hard enough the mats will disconnect, but it should hold them for a couple of years as long as don't go nuts.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:36 AM

Received 805 Likes on 528 Posts
you can punch two holes in the floor mat at the seat end, and hold them in place using a long bungee cord wrapped around the forward seat mounts, putting the bungee hooks through the holes in the mat.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:35 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Good that you have vinyl flooring. Carpet and velour do not belong on real utility trucks. I will replace my carpet with that. No need to vacuum, just a counter brush and spray and wipe maintenance.

This...
Originally Posted by scope103
Just plain silicone then. If you pull hard enough the mats will disconnect, but it should hold them for a couple of years as long as don't go nuts.
AND/OR this...
Originally Posted by wallytoo
you can punch two holes in the floor mat at the seat end, and hold them in place using a long bungee cord wrapped around the forward seat mounts, putting the bungee hooks through the holes in the mat.
OR this attached to seat rails.
https://www.google.com/search?q=coro...RUB1oQ_AUIBygC

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 12-12-2016 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:40 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
The vinyl wheel well covers on my '89 are held in place with industrial strength Velcro, original from the factory and still holding strong. Why not pick up some industrial Velcro at Home Depot? They have it in black 3" strips. I used some to mount my inclinometer since I didn't want to drill the dash pad. It's about $5 a pack.

Old 12-13-2016, 07:57 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Nervo19
The vinyl wheel well covers on my '89 are held in place with industrial strength Velcro...
Velcro is very strong. The downside with the self-stick ones is that the Velcro is stronger than the adhesive when used where it gets hot. LoL!
I strongly recommend getting plain Velcro (no adhesive backing) and using good contact cement (i.e., DAP brand from Home Depot). That is less senstive to heat.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by RAD4Runner
Velcro is very strong. The downside with the self-stick ones is that the Velcro is stronger than the adhesive when used where it gets hot. LoL!
I strongly recommend getting plain Velcro (no adhesive backing) and using good contact cement (i.e., DAP brand from Home Depot). That is less senstive to heat.
Most PSAs (Pressure sensitive adhesives) are thermo-plastic; warm them up, and the glue softens and releases. You can take the mailing labels off boxes (that you want to reuse) with a hair dryer.

But, wait! What about your toll transponder stuck to the windshield? It's always in the sun, and yet doesn't immediately fall off. 3M makes a group of "All-Weather" "fasteners" (no, Velcro is a trademarked brand name), which have a heat-resistant adhesive. So commonly used, the "ordinary" All-Weather tape is often called "toll-tape." https://www.amazon.com/8-Strips-Repl...f=pd_sbs_263_6 (that's what I use to attach various experimental readouts in my cab) 3M even makes a product that is even MORE tenacious, called (duh!) Extreme. http://www.scotchbrand.com/3M/en_US/...4603615&rt=rud I haven't used it yet, but my guess is that it will hang on long after any user-applied adhesive has given up the ghost.

Your choice!