Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

first toyota ever with a list of problems! :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first toyota ever with a list of problems! :)

hey guys im new to this site and i have to say wow! ive learned alot just by reading, im 17 yrs old and just purchsed my first ever toyota, a 87 short bed reg cab 4x4 with a 5 speed, im in love, bought the truck needing a motor for 600$ when i got it home took the motor to uncle carls machine shop.(car city machine in pensacola) bored it .20 over and threw a cam in it. runs great! all the gears are smooth, 4wd is amazing! pulls great! but the steering is.... welll... lets just say gone? from about 12o clok to about 6o clock, doesnt even move the tires, any ideas? is the worm gear adjustable on those or do i need a whole new steering box? ideas? ball joints and everything seem good but i just dont know, i can do anything but steering, im learnin!
Old 09-21-2011, 03:55 AM

Hi Westjohns, congratulations man! Sounds like you have a nice potential ride goin' there! (PICS!)
I would start by having a friend turn the steering wheel back and forth...you watch down the fender well and see the shaft turning...try to determine what parts it is connected to...you DO have the Haynes manual, and the FSM, right?? You should be able to figure out where the 'motion stops', for lack of a better way to say it. The bottom of the steering box is visible under the right (driver's) side skid plate behind the bumper a little...at this point, we don't even know if the steering wheel is attached!!

Either way, you might have to pay someone to help out with this part, unless you're really mechanically inclined and experienced...shouldn't be big $, but there's some time involved in sorting out what's going on.

Power steering? Did you check the fluid? You gotta narrow down what you have, and what works. It's not a complex system, but you have to get to know it first ;o) Keep poking around, and post back what you're finding!
Old 09-21-2011, 04:28 AM

hahah thanks and yeah its been awhile since i uploaded pics, i know its attached because after 6o clock or so it starts turning the wheels, i can take it down the road its just scarey as hell! my dad said the worm gear in the box might be adjustable but i wouldnt know were to start, yes i have a haynes manual but couldnt seem to find anything on it in there and as far as power steering goes yes i bled the system a few other time but it doesnt affect it at all its not my daily so its not gonna be a problem if it sits, but i would like it going before hunting season?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've never heard of that being adjustable on Toyotas. I drove a Jeep CJ once that had a similar problem and it did have an adjustment for that issue.

Take a look and see if it looks like there is anything, otherwise you might be needing a new part.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:40 AM

http://www.ncttora.com/FSM/

This link will be your best friend. You should be able to find all measurements, torque specs, capacities and a step by step guide on how to tear something apart and have it work when its back together.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 AM

thanks raven and yeah ive been looking but i cant seem to find one, ive found a steering box for 60$ but its used, ill download ravens manual when i get home, currently bored in reading class XD
Old 09-21-2011, 07:13 PM

any ideas guys? bump?
Old 09-22-2011, 04:30 PM

ok its not letting me post to thread, what the heck i was gonna do a build thread
Old 09-23-2011, 05:27 AM

Well, I'm not sure on the 'build thread' thing (I haven't started one yet, but I"m keeping pics to be able to later), but I'd say you have to get down into the steering system, and disconnect the box!
Read the FSM and Haynes, and search on here for "steering", read read read. Then, with a friend hopefully, start taking crap apart!
I bet your steering box is all worn out....$60 sounds more than reasonable to me for a used one in good shape, so I'd plan on just putting that in. As you go, you'll be able to adjust things and get 'er tight again!
An experienced friend to check what you're doing is a must...
Old 09-23-2011, 12:53 PM

yeah i did everything, im beginning to think all the bushing and tie rods are worn out due to the fact i see the pitman arm moveing when i turn the wheel but everything below that is really loose, looks like a front end rebuilt? orrrr sas haha, yeah i started one yesturday just cant get pics to load, i have alot!
Old 09-23-2011, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
First I would take it to Toyota and see if it had the Steering Relay Rod recall done on it as far as the loose steering. I know the recall effected later trucks, not sure about yours.
Old 09-23-2011, 01:15 PM

oh i was unaware of that, can u just call and check the vin or does the whole truckl have to go up there?
Old 09-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by westjohns yota
oh i was unaware of that, can u just call and check the vin or does the whole truckl have to go up there?
Maybe this link will help:
https://auth2.toyota.com/owners/SSCInfo-index.html
Old 09-24-2011, 01:20 PM

it says there is not, damn looks like a front end rebuilt, also, whats a good price for a matched trans and tranfercase? found a whole lot of toyota parts includeing rear end, 5in lift, new cvs, bumpers front and rear and the trans and trafer case for 350$? is that resonabile for all that? oh yeah and all the efi intake stuff and ecu
Old 09-24-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by westjohns yota
it says there is not, damn looks like a front end rebuilt, also, whats a good price for a matched trans and tranfercase? found a whole lot of toyota parts includeing rear end, 5in lift, new cvs, bumpers front and rear and the trans and trafer case for 350$? is that resonabile for all that? oh yeah and all the efi intake stuff and ecu
Um.. do you really need all that stuff? For 350$ the 5" lift (although thats a bit much for an IFS rig) would be worth it. You could then sell the rest of the stuff, or keep the t-case to run duals, to make some money back. Or keep it all for spare parts..... you can never have enough spare parts.

Best bet would be to either

1) Spend that 350$ on your front end rebuild or
2) Spend that 350$ on parts for the SAS or
3) Buy the goodies and sell off what you don't need/want for a little profit although it might take a while and then spend all of it on the front end rebuild or SAS.

Depending on what you plan for with the truck, and I mean FINAL plan, you have some decisions to make. If you're going to plan for a slightly lifted rig that you can wheel once in a while and use as a DD then stick with the IFS. IFS is tougher than folks give it credit for. If you plan for a rock crawler the SAS it and go up from there.

Opinions vary though.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:20 PM

well i would like a dd with ability to go off road, and not get worried about getin pulled out every other hole, i was thinking buy the whole lot, sell the rear end, trans and tcase (comes with crossmemeber and front d-shaft too) and installing the 5in IFS , that takes care of my front end problem, gives me a lift, and puts some cash in my pocket, possibly for 4.88s and maybe an aussie? just throwing ideas at this point.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:07 PM

Congrats on buy bud. On the steering sounds like the box is gone or maybe just something is loose in the connection to the box. On the parts if your want to stick with IFS go for it, that rear axle, trans and t case will make your money back and then some. On the gears it would depend on tire size. You figure that out yet?
Old 09-25-2011, 07:01 AM

well id like to about to runs 36s but idm prob stay around 33s for fuel milage if its gonna be a daily driver, im thinking either 4.88s or 5.29s, any opionions?
Old 09-25-2011, 08:26 AM

if you want to go bigger someday with it I would go 5.29 just so you dont gotta spend the money in the long run. I wheeled my 86 Yota with 22re with 35s on stock gears and drove it as a DD and got around 15mpg. Since you've rebuilt your engine it may do better.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:08 AM

15 mpg isnt bad depending on what type of terrian your in, being colorado its mountain and hills right? here in flordia its fairly flat with a few good slopes, also how fast could u go? and type of acceleration did you have?

Quick Reply: first toyota ever with a list of problems! :)