Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

[First Post!] Looking at an '89 4Runner on CL. Seller asking 5000 OBO. Fair price?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 02:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[First Post!] Looking at an '89 4Runner on CL. Seller asking 5000 OBO. Fair price?

Hi there! This is my first post on Yotatech, and fittingly, it is about my search for my first Yota.

I am looking at an '89 4Runner on Craigslist here.

If you didn't click on the link, she's a red V6 SR5 with 162k miles. Seller is asking 5000 OBO. Apparently only the clutch has been replaced. I contacted the seller and they said that it's the original engine (not a rebuild). It looks to be in very good condition, and very stock. It looks to me like the front lower bumper is missing, and the seller doesn't know where it is. Not a big deal. I am hopefully going to have a look at it around midweek, and I will have my mechanic inspect it.

My question to you is, what is a fair price for a runner in this condition? 5000 seems quite high to me. What do you think?

Of course, if my mechanic looks at it and finds something, that will change matters, but let's assume, for now, that it is in fine condition mechanically.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:54 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Space Bastard,

I wouldn't pay $5000 for it. I purchased one (1991 model) a few months back for $1400, granted the engine needed a rebuild. I'm done with the rebuild, and by the time im done re-doing the interior and all cosmetic issues, I'll be in about $5500. But that will give me a brand new looking rig.

Saying this car hasn't had any work done doesn't mean it's a good thing. As I found out soon after buying it, these cars have infamous head gasket issues if not well maintained. In Ventura County, I'm sure you can do better.

You'll find people on here hateful toward the V6 and try to kill the idea all together.. i wouldn't be that dramatic.

good luck.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A 1st gen in good shape can fetch more $$ than the 2nd/3rds as many people like that body style more. It's got the sr5 gauges, inclometer, looks in great shape inside and out, and from the location I'd say it has no rust underneath, definately worth a closer look. If you do look at it, take more pictures, the frame, engine etc and post them here so we can help. To me, if it is in as good shape as it looks, I'd pay at least 4k, and if it's as good underneath, I'd have no problem paying 5k for what looks like an unmolested 1st gen.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Welcome to Yota Tech brother. I know Yotas in California and the other rust free western states get more $$$ than around here in the Rust belt. I agree with Gevo...I wouldn't $5k for it either, even if it had the 22re. I bought my current ride, a 94 4Runner, for $2600 and even that was a little high I thought. But 2nd gen 4Runners with the 22re are rare (usually has the 3.0) so I couldn't be picky as my options were limited. Body had some rust and drivetrain had around 146k miles I believe. Ya gotta remember it's almost a 25 year old vehicle and parts will start needing replacement. Now, if it had some work done to it with new parts, suspension, paint, bumpers, etc...I'd consider going higher. I'd probably pay no more than around $3500 for it.

But the bottom line is...what the vehicle is worth to you and how much you would pay to get it.

Last edited by daved5150; 12-30-2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
5k seems really steep for that particular rig . I'm on CL nearly every day looking at Toyota trucks and 'Runners , and I see similar rigs for much cheaper all the time .

Plus, since we're in CA , you will be required to smog it before you put it in your name . Every Yota' I've bought on CL failed smog first time , not that it's always a huge deal , sometimes it's just a new cat , or the timing was off , but it is a possible headache for you the new owner .

Also , the guy didn't even bother to throw a rinse on the truck before he took pics and put the ad up on CL. Interior looks dirty , just saying it has the appearance of a truck that he didn't take much pride in . You wanna be looking to buy someone else's pride and joy 'Yota...

Good luck ...
Old 12-30-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You are not that far from L.A. why not check CL outside Ventura and you'll see trucks in better shape and cheaper than 5k. That's too much to pay for it.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:33 PM

Look at this jewel...http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst...259811481.html
Old 12-30-2013, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by maco35
You are not that far from L.A. why not check CL outside Ventura and you'll see trucks in better shape and cheaper than 5k. That's too much to pay for it.
Better shape? What's bad about the shape this is in? Oh no, there's dust on it!@!!! OMG WHAT A WRECK!! it needs to be cleaned inside? NOOOOO!!! THE WORLD IS OVER!!! Zoom in on the pictures, this thing is a mall crawler, no dents, original paint, plastic all there and not cracked. These are the vehicles I like to buy, clean up and sell for a profit and I bet this guy is not firm at all on that price.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
Better shape? What's bad about the shape this is in? Oh no, there's dust on it!@!!! OMG WHAT A WRECK!! it needs to be cleaned inside? NOOOOO!!! THE WORLD IS OVER!!! Zoom in on the pictures, this thing is a mall crawler, no dents, original paint, plastic all there and not cracked. These are the vehicles I like to buy, clean up and sell for a profit and I bet this guy is not firm at all on that price.
5k i don't think so.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:54 PM

i wouldnt pay 5k for it, not even in pa where rust free trucks go for more money. i could see 3500$-3800$ but no more. just my opinion
Old 12-30-2013, 04:36 PM

Thats a pretty dang clean truck. Even though i just got my first first gen since the 86 i grew up in as a kid ive been following them for years. I just bought an all original and all toyota parts period 88 SR5 with a little rust on passenger fender only, new timing kit, water pump master cyl, etc a month before for3500. I think you could get it for 4 if he's stubborn
Old 12-30-2013, 04:40 PM

Of course drive it and mechanical condition is biggest factor. Mine has 207000 miles on 22re and ticking along strong as ever.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unmolested california 4runners go for a lot more than you think, but only if they are 22re and 5 speed. Anything else is not worth the same. Here is an example: last year I bought a 89 v6 auto 1st gen 4runner with a fully built SAS trussed axle with elocker (no front driveline) for $600.

I would not give anyone ANY money for a v6 3.0 4runner. I basically bought a fully built front axle and lift kit attached to a bunch of junk.

That being said, the 1st gen 22re 5sp 4runners sell for more than 3rd gen 4runners around here if they are clean.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 PM

I don't know...maybe I'm crazy: I bought this 1989 4Runner (yes, here in California, although my 'Runner is originally an Arizona truck) for $3,800 3 years ago, with 189,000 miles on it. It was all stock, besides the wheels, tires, and bumpers, which the previous owner had already installed.

Name:  006.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  146.2 KB

It was worth it to me, because in California, the 1st gens demand lots of money for their age. I've seen trucks half as nice as mine asking for almost as much, so to me, it was well worth it.

Good luck in your choice and your journey!

Last edited by Shoua; 01-01-2014 at 10:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Duffdog
Unmolested california 4runners go for a lot more than you think, but only if they are 22re and 5 speed. Anything else is not worth the same. Here is an example: last year I bought a 89 v6 auto 1st gen 4runner with a fully built SAS trussed axle with elocker (no front driveline) for $600.

I would not give anyone ANY money for a v6 3.0 4runner. I basically bought a fully built front axle and lift kit attached to a bunch of junk.

That being said, the 1st gen 22re 5sp 4runners sell for more than 3rd gen 4runners around here if they are clean.
There is truth here.

In my case, mine is a V6. I really wanted a 22RE, but at my rate, I couldn't afford to pass this thing up. It was super clean.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 PM

Wait for the right opportunity to show. 5K it's not so cheap and definitely it is no bargain. I bought my 89 1st gen for less that 2K (in Romania, where they are rare - no more that 25 in whole country).
Old 12-30-2013, 11:03 PM

you might want to look at that jewel like maco35 said , if it runs good thats a hell of a deal

Last edited by 85toy4runner; 12-30-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Welcome to Yota Tech!!

Run the other way very fast!!

I have seen this all to often !!

As the owner states no maintenance but a clutch.

Your due for a timing belt!!

Just the change in driving style could be enough to cause all kinds of different problems.

You did say your mechanic ?? Does that mean you pay for most of the work that might need to be done???

Still the original Brakes??

Sure it is a nice clean truck myself I would rather have a body with 6 different color parts but a very solid drive train.

We all look and want different things

The questions you need to think about is how much you want to spend total to have a vehicle on the street and good to go.

Spend a few weeks as you look for a truck reading the threads on here gaining some insight into these vehicles.

Bottom line if I had to pay to get things repaired and serviced I would get something only a few years old.

Reason being my parts bills would very easy cover payments on two new vehicles. It is fun better then spending it on women!!
Old 12-31-2013, 06:56 AM

Wow! You don't find them like that in Georgia.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:47 AM

Thanks to everyone for all of your replies and the warm welcome! I really appreciate it. Sorry I haven't had a chance to check the forums in a couple days.

That Runner in Lynwood looks BEAUTIFUL. It's a little far though. Almost in OC...

Right now I'm torn between the red runner, a white '85 4x4 (22r), and an '87 2wd. But honestly, I'm leaning towards the white 4x4. I've already checked it out, and It is in good condition. No oil leaks anywhere. I would need to replace the dash cover, but that shouldn't be a problem. Here are the CL photos:

What do you guys think?

You did say your mechanic ?? Does that mean you pay for most of the work that might need to be done???
Yes, it's true, I'm not as mechanically inclined as everyone here! I would like to learn though. And I am in love with '84-'89 Yotas (thanks a lot Michael J. Fox...).

Quick Reply: [First Post!] Looking at an '89 4Runner on CL. Seller asking 5000 OBO. Fair price?