Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

First gear trouble 1986 toyota pickup 4x4 Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First gear trouble 1986 toyota pickup 4x4 Automatic

1986 toyota pickup 4x4 longbed automatic. If you put the truck in drive it starts out in second gear. To accelerate properly I put it in L or first gear and shift it manually. All the other gears shift normally for the most part. When you come to a red light you have to manually shift it into first gear again.

The other day after driving it for a half hour it actually did shift down into first while still in drive. It only worked correctly a few times and does not ever do this when cold. The over drive light blinks after driving it.

Does anyone know what part I need to replace to get this transmission working like new again?
Old 11-29-2012, 07:50 PM

Wow no one has chimed it.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:07 PM

Most likely solenoid failure. Easy to replace...just drop pan, remove filter, and its right there. Read your code first though and check TPS.

There is a way to read the code for the OD light, but I forgot how. Try searching..
Old 11-30-2012, 07:19 AM

Hi, yea I see the light blinking but it does not seem to be blinking a code. Are transmission codes checked the same as check engine codes because I know how to do that.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by chrisorbics
Hi, yea I see the light blinking but it does not seem to be blinking a code. Are transmission codes checked the same as check engine codes because I know how to do that.
its one of the connectors near where you check the engine code i think.. it will tell you which solenoid is bad.

http://www.toyotaholics.com/support/...sp?TOPIC_ID=19

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...45diagnosi.pdf
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 PM

To chck your automatic diagnostic codes make sure the overdrive switch is in the "on" position and cross TE1 with E1 and count the blinks on the O/D light.Make sure the O/D switch is in the "on" position or the O/D light will stay on and you wont get a code.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The automatic transmission has a plug with a single wire going to it in the engine bay. If I remember correctly it's a white square. You need to ground it to check transmission codes. It's done separately from engine codes. Interestingly you can use it for lots of diagnostic purposes by hooking a multimeter to it...

Usually a solenoid will affect two gears not just one, but checking codes is a good place to start.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:03 AM

Hi, I found this on a different post which shows the connector for checking the codes on the older trucks with efi. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...CheckConnector
Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Try testing and adjusting your TPS first, B4 you start replacing parts, i had the OD light flashing and the transmission was having a hard time changing gears all the time, after i tested the TPS i found out it was bad replaced it and my tranny has been working like new since then.

Last edited by maco35; 12-28-2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 AM

Try testing and adjusting your TPS first, B4 you start replacing parts, i had the OD light flashing and the transmission was having a hard time changing gears all the time, after i tested the TPS i found out it was bad replaced it and my tranny has been working like new since then.
Do you remember what code it was throwing? The guy I got it from said it was the speed sensor when he had it in the shop.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:17 AM

Ok I keep getting code 11 which means all systems go. The over drive light flashes after five minutes of driving. I have been told to get a 1-2 shift soleniod and that I what I want to do. The only part I could find on rock auto is http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...620&cc=1277401

Part number TCS33

Is this the part I should be getting?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:08 PM

The automatic transmission has a plug with a single wire going to it in the engine bay. If I remember correctly it's a white square. You need to ground it to check transmission codes. It's done separately from engine codes. Interestingly you can use it for lots of diagnostic purposes by hooking a multimeter to it...

Usually a solenoid will affect two gears not just one, but checking codes is a good place to start.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:10 PM

Name:  Transmissionpart_zps6dfd500d.jpg
Views: 4335
Size:  15.6 KB

Is this the 1-2 shift solenoid?

Part # TCS33
Intermotor TRANSMISSION CONTROL SOLENOID; Terminal Type: Blade, Eye-loop; Terminal Gender: Male; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Wires: 2; Number of Terminals: 2; Mounting Location: Trans Mount; Connector Gender: Female; No Connector
Intermotor is a brand of Standard Motor Products that has been traditionally sold in Europe and is now available in the US.
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 8542012020, 8542022080

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Warranty Information
Ignition, emission, engine control, & fuel system parts - 3 year/36,000 mile. Control modules (ignition, ABS, etc.)- Five years/50,000 miles. Remanufactured electronic products and engine control modules - 12 month/unlimited miles. Return & rebuild parts have same warranty as new parts. Premium wire sets - Limited lifetime. ProSeries wire sets - 5 years/50,000 miles. T-Series parts - 12 months. All other products- 90 day/3,000 miles.
Warranty Details

Last edited by chrisorbics; 02-03-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:51 PM

Is this the 1-2 shift solenoid?

Part # TCS33
Intermotor TRANSMISSION CONTROL SOLENOID; Terminal Type: Blade, Eye-loop; Terminal Gender: Male; Direct OE Replacement; Number of Wires: 2; Number of Terminals: 2; Mounting Location: Trans Mount; Connector Gender: Female; No Connector
Intermotor is a brand of Standard Motor Products that has been traditionally sold in Europe and is now available in the US.
Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 8542012020, 8542022080

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Warranty Information
Ignition, emission, engine control, & fuel system parts - 3 year/36,000 mile. Control modules (ignition, ABS, etc.)- Five years/50,000 miles. Remanufactured electronic products and engine control modules - 12 month/unlimited miles. Return & rebuild parts have same warranty as new parts. Premium wire sets - Limited lifetime. ProSeries wire sets - 5 years/50,000 miles. T-Series parts - 12 months. All other products- 90 day/3,000 miles.
Warranty Details
It looks right in the pictures compared to what I have. Really easy to replace too... heck I have a box of six of them or so I took out of the auto when I did my 5 speed swap you can have for $50. Replaced original 3 solenoids when I thought auto was crapping out on me and it didn't end up making a difference because the clutch packs were toast and slipping.

Or if you want to save even more money, go to the junkyard and look for the automatic 4x4 yota's, drop the pan and yank them off...they are all a340 series transmissions and the solenoids are interchangeable between them (a340h to a340f, etc..)

Last edited by Vang530; 02-03-2013 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:24 AM

It looks right in the pictures compared to what I have. Really easy to replace too... heck I have a box of six of them or so I took out of the auto when I did my 5 speed swap you can have for $50. Replaced original 3 solenoids when I thought auto was crapping out on me and it didn't end up making a difference because the clutch packs were toast and slipping.

Or if you want to save even more money, go to the junkyard and look for the automatic 4x4 yota's, drop the pan and yank them off...they are all a340 series transmissions and the solenoids are interchangeable between them (a340h to a340f, etc..)
If I can get the code to pop up for that soldenoid I might just grab that from you. I am trying to find out more about the white wire to check what is wrong. I have five other cars I am working on so I will look it over today between working on everything else.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:00 PM

I found a white wire comming out of a sensor in the block of the engine. Passenger side behind the a/c compressor. It ripped out of the connector. I am going to re attach it tomorrow. It is is hard to tell exactly where it is comming from. I am not sure if this has anything to do with my isssue.

Does anyone know where the white transmission diagnostic wire is located?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM

1986 toyota pickup 4x4 longbed automatic. If you put the truck in drive it starts out in second gear. To accelerate properly I put it in L or first gear and shift it manually. All the other gears shift normally for the most part. When you come to a red light you have to manually shift it into first gear again.

The other day after driving it for a half hour it actually did shift down into first while still in drive. It only worked correctly a few times and does not ever do this when cold. The over drive light blinks after driving it.

Does anyone know what part I need to replace to get this transmission working like new again?
Do a resistance check on the 1-2 shift solenoid. Report back. If you do not know how to do this...search for 1986 factory service manual and download yourself a copy.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:33 AM

Do a resistance check on the 1-2 shift solenoid. Report back. If you do not know how to do this...search for 1986 factory service manual and download yourself a copy.
I am assuming that I have to take it out to do the test. I will try and get it done today.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:54 AM

Nope. Can be done dropping the pan. Get er done.
Old 02-06-2013, 06:49 PM

Nope. Can be done dropping the pan. Get er done.
Did you mean without dropping the pan?

Quick Reply: First gear trouble 1986 toyota pickup 4x4 Automatic