Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

A few of these a double dog dare and a trip to Wal Mart

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A few of these a double dog dare and a trip to Wal Mart

SO I was wondering out load again with my friend this evening after getting a couple things done on my truck (cat installed and a little extension of the exhaust) and my friend handed me these

I should have known he was up to something when he showed up with them in his hand knowing full well I only drink if it's these or St.Paulie Girl.

So I was over his place yesterday thinking out loud about how I was not really liking the rims on my truck and wondering what they would look like if I painted them black to give them a little depth. Well needless to say he remembered it came over this evening handed the beer to me and said
" I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU TO PAINT THEM RIMS AND I WILL EVEN TAKE YOU TO GET THE PAINT" well after 3 of them beers and a DDD there was nothing else to do but do it.

So here's what I did and how they turned out like to hear what you all got to say about them, I am kind of not really sure I am thinking maybe just completely blacking them out will look better any input gladly excepted.

tapin up the front's

Add a little primer

Then a little black

End up with the old wheel with a new look

Rear wheel looks a little different now too

So what do you think?

Last edited by olharleyman; 11-12-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 PM

Looks pretty sweet, what else can you be dared into?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks sick man, ive never seen anything quite like em. nice work
Old 10-30-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not to shabby.. i think they would look better all black though!

id like to see how they look on the runner.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 PM

I like it, now your drums just need a fresh coat
Old 10-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Like the look, Golsch is a bit horse pissy for me but I do like the higher alcohol content and its even higher overseas. And compared to the high octane US beers like hurricane, Golsch is a dream. Rock on.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Daaaaaaaaaammmmnnn! Nice work!
They look great!
Old 10-30-2009, 10:19 PM

wow..nice..i think they look amazing!!!!!!!

a lot better than the old look lmao..i see alot of these rims for sale for cheap..might get a bigger set (17-20in) and paint em like this!

another trick instead of taping..is take some petroleum jelly..spread it on the area you DONT want painted...and then spray the whole thing..then wipe off the jelly whenever the paint dries ...and you can get REALLY detailed with it...just get something small and wipe off the small areas..

like if it was me..i'd do it like you..but i'd put the jelly on the "bolts" around the outside of the rim..that way those stay chrome
Old 10-30-2009, 10:21 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Thanks for the tip petrojelly Camo.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:23 PM

no problem..i tried it on some geo metro rims..and it actually works REALLY REALLY WELL!!!!..and you can get really creative with it..lmao..just make sure the paint is dried and cured and such before you wipe it off hahahaha
Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Too "H2" for me, but whatever makes you happy! Then again, this is much more my style.

Last edited by Matt16; 10-30-2009 at 10:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by limon32
Looks pretty sweet, what else can you be dared into?
Well the running saying around here is be very careful what you dare or ask him to do the last good one was a bunch of my friends and I went camping and some of them have older kids like 20 somethings (yea I hang with an older crowd) and one of them's daughters brought this guy that was a total losser and he had a guitar and his idea of playing was to tune, tune, tune it and never really play it. Well one of my friends plays bass with skynard( when billy was not able too play ) , blackfoot and bands like that and he DDD me to grab it from this guy (and YES GROLSCH was involved) so I said can I BULISHIE it? and looked right at me and said SURE ANYTHING TO STOP THE MADNESS so I walked over and asked him " hey can I play that for a minute he looked at me and said please show me something I can learn" well I did it , if you have ever seen ANIMAL HOUSE you know what I did , if not you got to see it and one of the guy's freaked out and yell's MAN WE DON"T DO THAT AND SOMEONE ELSE YELLED BACK I GUESS WE DO NOW! That gave me the reputation I have now which is be "VERY CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU DDD HIM TO DO" last week I even crawled out the door of a dodge dulley going about 70 miles per hour to the bed to tie down a book case my buddie took me to pick up he about S'ed himself.
FOR THE RECORD WE DID BUY THE GUY A NEW GUITAR BUT THE VIDEO IS GREAT IF I CAN GET IT FROM MY FRIEND I WILL POST IT HERE SO YOU ALL CAN GET A GOOD LAUGH

Originally Posted by AWorth
Looks sick man, ive never seen anything quite like em. nice work
Thanks that's what I am looking to hear

Originally Posted by TOYOTA 1
not to shabby.. i think they would look better all black though!
id like to see how they look on the runner.
Giving that some very serious consideration, I will get some pics in the daylight tomorrow for you and everyone else to nit pick lol

Originally Posted by CHEEZBURGER
I like it, now your drums just need a fresh coat
hehehe I was thinking the same thing after I got the rims remounted

Originally Posted by muddpigg
Like the look, Golsch is a bit horse pissy for me but I do like the higher alcohol content and its even higher overseas. And compared to the high octane US beers like hurricane, Golsch is a dream. Rock on.
YEA I got hooked on it and most German beir oversea's myself I won't drink American beer only GERMAN and the like.

Last edited by olharleyman; 10-30-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by olharleyman

Giving that some very serious consideration, I will get some pics in the daylight tomorrow for you and everyone else to nit pick lol

haha didnt mean to nit pik. but yea post um up ill pik at them
Old 10-30-2009, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Daaaaaaaaaammmmnnn! Nice work!
They look great!
Well THANK YOU I was a little worried they may come off a bit gay I kind of like them but wonder what they would look like full black then again I think they will lose the depth maybe it's just me?

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
wow..nice..i think they look amazing!!!!!!!

a lot better than the old look lmao..i see alot of these rims for sale for cheap..might get a bigger set (17-20in) and paint em like this!

another trick instead of taping..is take some petroleum jelly..spread it on the area you DONT want painted...and then spray the whole thing..then wipe off the jelly whenever the paint dries ...and you can get REALLY detailed with it...just get something small and wipe off the small areas..

like if it was me..i'd do it like you..but i'd put the jelly on the "bolts" around the outside of the rim..that way those stay chrome
I never see Dick Cepek's for sale , I know the VASOLINE trick myself but in the condition I was in with 4 GROLSCH'S in me( only drinking maybe once every 5-6 months) I figured tape was the best option at the time LOL hick up as for the bolts I plan on getting or building a set of bead locks so I will be replacing them some time soon any way.

[QUOTE=camo31"10.50"512673377]no problem..i tried it on some geo metro rim..aand it actually works REALLY REALLY WELL!!!!..and you can get really creative with it..lmao..just make sure the paint is dried and cured and such before you wipe it off hahahaha[/QUOE]

YES IT DOE'S but you really need to be very on top of things to do it correct and with a good buzz tape was the only option

Last edited by olharleyman; 10-30-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:43 PM

Well personally I like the two tone look, besides, you have the ONLY set, that is of course till someone here copies...

But seriously, love the two tones and two finishes, cool combo.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:01 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
LOVE the Animal House reference......one of the BEST movies EVER!!!! Must have caused quite a scene.

Good job on the painting, personally I like black rims.

Don't know about the DDD though, through the years I've given in to many a wrong impulse realted to the sauce. Some of the memories, not so good, or clear. But that stuff is long ago.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:15 AM

dayum , thats sweet looking , how do they look on the rig.
Old 10-31-2009, 03:50 AM

I really like it. I think if you paint them all black you'll ruin them. Personally I hate the all black wheel look on everything I've ever seen it on. We need a mounted pic first though...
Old 10-31-2009, 05:50 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
looks good, I would just either get rid of the rusty center caps or sand and paint them too.
Old 10-31-2009, 10:05 AM
Contributing Member

OK YOU ASKED FOR IT SO HERE IT IS , IT'S RAINING OUT SO THESE ARE THE BEST I COULD GET FOR NOW.

Quick Reply: A few of these a double dog dare and a trip to Wal Mart