Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Extra 4Runner Dome Light From Pickup (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Extra 4Runner Dome Light From Pickup (pics)

My dome light had not been working for a while. When we were recently parting out a pickup, i grabbed the mirror with the integrated dome light. Finally got around to putting it in. Still not at cool as my brothers map lights in his 88, but it works well and looks stock (first gen 89 4Runner and, uh, 3rd gen[?] 89 pickup).

- Pull the old mirror. Lots of room under there, guess for pickup application.

- Pull the A-pillar trim. pop the tabs at the top, slide the bottom up. I got these two backward and broke my slide tab.

- I used a coat hanger here; slid under the headliner over to the hole, grabbed the wire, and pulled it back through. I also got the correct plug when I pulled the mirror. Just makes it easier. After that we are here:

- After that I taped the wire down the A-pillar, then replaced the trim.

- This was the toughest part, finding where to wire it in. Of course it was obvious once I found it. The wires coming off the dome light in mine are black and black/white stripe. The 1985 year FSM shows the same colors, so I guess this is one where they were pretty consistant. They also pop out under the dash slightly above and in front of the fuse panel. Little square connector right there too, easy to disconnect and work with.

(In the above pic I pushed it through the crack around the dash so I didn't have to lay in the floor.)

- I tried to use those little clip connectors here but they didn't work out really. Ended up stripping a bit of the main wires and just winding it up. This is some speaker wire of similar guage, the stock insulation is much thicker though. Anyway, wire it in, push it back through, and reconnect.

- One note about attaching the mirror, the screw holes didnt quite line up. I got the bottom one with the ground on it correct, then put in the other side at an angle. The third at the top was not even close, but it seems stable with just two.

Last edited by jasharp; 06-01-2011 at 07:34 PM.