Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Exhaust Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Upgrade

I did a search and couldn't find a good answer...

I want to upgrade my exhaust to a 2.5" system. This will be my first custom exhaust system and would like some help.

Has anyone done this? Do you have a parts list and pictures?

I guess I need to start with a new exhaust manifold/header and work my way all the way back to the tail pipe.

I need to keep it on a light budget but will save up if needed. I just don't know where to start. The old exhaust is gone and I don't even know how it needs routed.

Thanks for any help.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Go by your local exhaust shop and get a quote.

:wabbit2:
Old 09-20-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts
there is no way you searched enough if you didnt find any good answer to those exhaust questions...
header not necessary unless you want to spend the money. go 2.25'' tubing. and go to any exhaust shop in your area and have them bend you up a system. no need to buy all the parts then try and do it yourself.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:51 AM

I guess I don't know how to search. I put "exhaust" in the search and looked through over 4 pages of results and didn't see anything that even remotely said "go to your local exhaust shop".

Can an exhaust shop bend up a system without the vehicle? I don't think I can drive it there with just the manifold and I don't want to pay to get it towed.

Also, I figured since I have the bed off it would be easier.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I've driven plenty to exhaust shop with just a header. Loud as crap but if you get pulled over say you are headed to exhaust shop.

I doubt they'll bend anything without the vehicle on site.

They do exhaust from underneath so bed on or off is irrelevant.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
I've driven plenty to exhaust shop with just a header. Loud as crap but if you get pulled over say you are headed to exhaust shop.

I doubt they'll bend anything without the vehicle on site.

They do exhaust from underneath so bed on or off is irrelevant.

Okay, thanks.

One more question: is there any performance improvement with just the larger exhaust or would a header help also?

I'm getting a rebuilt motor and just trying to do some small things to maybe get a little more power out of it. Not too worried about it, but since I need a new exhaust I figured I would go bigger.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:41 AM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
both yes up to a point. to improve your searching, try more elaborate or more specific wordings for what you want to find. a search example would be: exhaust for ___ engine or _____ performance exhaust -- these will get you slightly more accurate results next time. you can even do site-specific google searches, like "site:yotatech.com 22re exhaust"

to my knowledge there aren't too many bolt-on exhausts ready to go for our Yotas, but there are a couple stock ones that'll bolt up no problemo, some performance ones you're gonna pay big $ for, and a couple that'll work great but are gonna need other mods because of how they're routed. a thorough search (here and google) would have netted you most/all of these results.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 AM

If you want a cheap solution to get you through until you are ready to do some real upgrading, I purchased some aftermarket exhaust pipe, including the muffler, all the way from the header back (excluding the cat) from Rock Auto http://www.rockauto.com/. It was bolt on, had everything I needed and sounds fine with no leaks.
It's not great, but it was already bent to fit, shipped right to my door and bolted on in about a half-hour.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 AM

But I guess you said you wanted to "upgrade" your exhaust, and this definitely isn't an upgrade over stock.