Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Engine replacement for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine replacement for dummies

Hello yotatech,

My 86 22rte needs to be replaced... and while I have spent hours reading up on different websites, I haven't found an article or tutorial that's really all that detailed. I've only done minor work on cars, never anything like an engine swap, so I'm kind of nervous about this. I do have a mechanic friend who said he'd help out though, so I got that goin for me which is nice.

So I guess what I'm asking is if anyone can send some links of like step by step guides (pics would be helpful) to the removal and replacement of this engine?

Thanks if you're reading this!

mel
Old 02-13-2017, 02:32 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
The last word on this is a Toyota factory manual.

A little searching of the interweb migh turn up something that you can download.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by millball
The last word on this is a Toyota factory manual.

A little searching of the interweb migh turn up something that you can download.
Do factory manuals show you how to replace the engine?
Old 02-13-2017, 02:55 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by MelH
Do factory manuals show you how to replace the engine?
My later year manuals give step by step detailed instructions about engine R&R.

The correct one for your year truck should too.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:56 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Take pics as you go. Especially wire connectors and vacuum lines. Label connectors on both sides. Used anti seize when using steel bolts into aluminum.
Old 02-13-2017, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by millball
My later year manuals give step by step detailed instructions about engine R&R.

The correct one for your year truck should too.
alright thank you, I'll try to find one
Old 02-13-2017, 03:32 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Pull the power steering pump and AC compressor (if equipped) off of the brackets and lay them to the side. Fish the engine harness through the firewall into the engine bay, and pull the engine with the harness ans all the other accessories attached.

Leave the torque converter in place on the transmission.

Now take three well lit pictures from each side, from the front and top.

Don't disconnect anything until the new engine is sitting side by side with the old and ready to be installed. Do all the "engine dressing" on an engine stand not in the engine bay. It will all be fresh in your memory and very simple..

Those are my best tips to supplement the service manual, other than pay attention to the preamble when it says label everything with tags.

I forget the bolt count something like 20-30 it's relatively easy.

Last edited by Co_94_PU; 02-13-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Pull the power steering pump and AC compressor (if equipped) off of the brackets and lay them to the side. Fish the engine harness through the firewall into the engine bay, and pull the engine with the harness ans all the other accessories attached.

Leave the torque converter in place on the transmission.

Now take three well lit pictures from each side, from the front and top.

Don't disconnect anything until the new engine is sitting side by side with the old and ready to be installed. Do all the "engine dressing" on an engine stand not in the engine bay. It will all be fresh in your memory and very simple..

Those are my best tips to supplement the service manual, other than pay attention to the preamble when it says label everything with tags.

I forget the bolt count something like 20-30 it's relatively easy.
You forgot an extra set of hands, or three!
Old 02-13-2017, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If you cant find a Factory Service Manual, a Haynes Repair Manual is good for the steps about pulling a motor. Since this is your first time, you are on the right track of trying to find information about what is needed. Try looking at Youtube videos and see what they may suggest. Start a build thread. On a build thread you take as many pictures as you want and when you go to re-assemble, it will make a good memory aid.

One tip I really suggest is not to bag all of your bolts and nuts. When possible, install the bolts in to the components that they come from. For example, loosen the alternator bolt, loosen the belt and then keep the bolt installed in the alternator. Dollar Stores have metal trays that are magnetic. Cost about a dollar a piece. Get you several of them and you can keep track of them that way. A tray for each components nuts and bolts.

For myself I like to get 3 tote bins and I can keep the head and all of its components in one bin, the block in another bin and the third bin is for the accessories. I take a magic market and write on the little trays and with the nuts and bolts, in the bins, with each components, I have yet to loose anything.