Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine mounts

95 4runner 4x4 v6 auto

I have a bad engine mount on the drivers side and I would like to know if the mount is in two pieces?.It looks like one piece but when I search for the mount on line it looks like one piece that has a flange with holes and rubber and a center stud

I see a metal cover over the rubber and a flange wit two bolts that attach to the frame.

What is a good brand of mount that I can purchase at my local parts store and should I replace passenger side mount just for good measure?

I also would like to know how hard it will be to replace the mount or mounts.There is not a lot of space to work in that area is there a thread with pics on this repair?
thanks
Dwayne
Old 02-22-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's in two pieces. You'll see once you get the broken one off. If the other side looks good, I don't see any reason at all to replace it. Under normal circumstances, they last for the life of the vehicle. In which case, you should be able to find one used. I'd call upon DeathCougar. He works at Nix99 used Toyota parts and is a member here. Either PM him or google Nix99 for the phone number and call them. You'll wind up paying less and help support a good private business. Not to mention, DeathCougar's yacht fund. (kidding!)

To replace isn't hard per se. It just requires some wrenching to be able to lift the motor up off the mounts.

BTW, how did you discover the mount was bad? I mean, I thought you'd kind been over that territory already.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 AM

good to see that your back thook

thanks for the info and yes I have been through the motor mounts but I needed a second opinion and here is what I did yesterday
update....2/21/09
I went to my co workers home.... he has a garage and a lot more years of experience than I have working on mechanical things and we did a lot of trouble shooting to try and locate my vibration and here is what we have found

It appears to have a bad motor mount on the drivers side and looks like the motor is not sitting in the position it should it may be shifted 1/2"?.The motor mount top metal piece that covers the rubber has slid down towards the engine block if that makes any sense.The rubber and metal still look attached to each other but were not sure at this point.We have taken a regular long flat head screw driver and put it in between the metal top mount cover and the steel flange to the frame... and with little effort move the whole drivers side of the motor up and down... and he said "that's not normal and I think you have a bad mount"
My friend thinks that all my vibrations I feel through the floor boards,center console,shifter,drivers side wheel & rim,front bumper and movement of the shifter may be caused from this mount being bad...and I think he is correct.I know there is no guarantee but I feel confident that he is on the right track and I will be purchasing a motor mount soon.The passenger side mount appears to be in good shape but my friend said that I may have to replace that one also but not sure because there is not as much movement like the drivers side

I and my friend really don't know if the vibrations I feel while driving... accelerating and decelerating and when the O.D. is off will go away when I replace that mount but we are hoping so..I'll keep all posted as to the results.....I just don't know why the shops I took the 4runner to couldn't locate a bad motor mount.....and why I couldn't see it was bad stupid is as stupid does.....
Dwayne

Last edited by buckz6319; 02-25-2009 at 02:37 AM.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:16 PM

I would like to know if the metal over the rubber is bolted together? and bolted to the block and frame?
I really can't find much info in my Haynes manual on replacing the mounts or any pics of it
any help will be appreciated
Dwayne
Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 PM

Ditch the Haynes man. It 'bout as useful as ta-tas on bacon. Download 1 of the FSMs thats stickied at the top of the forums.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by buckz6319
I would like to know if the metal over the rubber is bolted together? and bolted to the block and frame?
I really can't find much info in my Haynes manual on replacing the mounts or any pics of it
any help will be appreciated
Dwayne

It all bolts together, but you won't be able to find info like that in a Haynes or even Chilton's. They just don't go into that much detail. And, to my knowledge, the FSM doesn't go into it, either. So, no need to ditch the Haynes for that reason. While it doesn't compare to the FSM in technicalities, it's a decent "cliff note" type reference. Came in handy rebuilding my 22re when I didn't have the specific FSM info on hand.

Anyway, how the mount assembles is very obvious once you get it off. Why do you ask, though? Are you wondering if you can just replace the rubber part?

BTW, thanks for the welcome back. Though, it's like I said, I will be around less than I had been in the past. I've just got some other great things I need to focus on.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_U_199...MGEA_1107.html
This is for my '90, but I don't believe they changed the mounts until 95.5(Tacoma)
Old 02-23-2009, 02:31 AM

Matthew...I searched and found a pic of the mount which really helped.I can see that the metal cover is attached to the block with bolts.The rubber mount has a center stud and a flange that will bolt to the frame.

I would like to know if I only have to remove the center nut that is on the mount and the frame bolts to remove it.... OR do I have to remove the metal cover that is attached to the block in order to remove the entire mount mount?...I would like to do the replacement with minimum effort sense it's such a tight space there not much room to work

Matthew...I'm also trying to get to the light on this vibration and then I can relax some and do other things around here but for now this in my focus and I'm looking forward to much need rest from this 4runner
Dwayne
Old 02-23-2009, 02:45 AM

jonnyboy....thanks for the link....I know now that I can remove the insulator mount and stabilizer only without removing the engine bracket?...
If so then it doesn't look to involved to remove
Old 02-25-2009, 02:27 PM

I got my new engine mount today

I got my new engine mount today for the drivers side

The parts guy said that the mounts are the same... front drivers side and front passenger side?...I hope he is correct?... it will be a pita if I remove the drivers side mount this weekend and find out that I have a mount for the passenger side..

Does ant one know if the mounts are the same it will save me a lot of time knowing I have the correct one on hand

I also would like to know what is the correct steps in changing the mount?
I don't have a hoist but I have a hefty floor jack and some bottle jacks around.
I'm also concerned with how I'm going to get to the nut on the mount stud which is the easiest way to get that off?

I'm also concerned with should I remove the nut on the mount first?...then remove the 2 flange nuts?

ant help will be appreciated....I can do this but I'm used to the old car American mounts not this type
Dwayne
Old 02-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well I've changed mine but the engine was out at the time, which makes it easier of course hehe. I don't see how you could do it without removing the whole motor mount bracket from the block because the nut that goes on the stud is behind the bracket. I'd use a hoist if it were me, but I guess you might be able to use a jack from below.

Yes the left and right side rubber part is the same, the brackets that bolt to the block are different though.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Well I've changed mine but the engine was out at the time, which makes it easier of course hehe. I don't see how you could do it without removing the whole motor mount bracket from the block because the nut that goes on the stud is behind the bracket. I'd use a hoist if it were me, but I guess you might be able to use a jack from below.

Yes the left and right side rubber part is the same, the brackets that bolt to the block are different though.
mt goat.....here is a pic of the mount I purchased

I hope this is the correct mount...and what are the smaller holes above the large bolt holes?
and what is the shorter metal pin for above the center stud?...I think they all fit into some kind of locking system
sorry to read more into it than it is....but I'm just trying to learn about this complicated mount system and I want to know which end is up because the rubber is angled....I guess I will figure it out when I remove the old mount Matthew says....good luck to me... hehehe...
thanks
Dwayne

Last edited by buckz6319; 02-25-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 06:10 PM

Lol.....yeah, Dwayne. Relax. You'll see. It's all pretty obvious when you get under there. You just have to get under there....hahaha. Get the mounts unbolted from the block and frame so you can take it out and work with it and compare. Take pictures, make marker notes on parts, up and down arrows.....whatever it takes so you're sure it all goes back together correctly.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 AM

OK....Matthew...I'll relax a little...I will remove the bolts that hold the mount to the block first and then remove the bolts @ the flange to the frame...

Then I'll jack the engine block up to the point where I can remove the mount as one unit.....is this a 4hour job?...I may have to do it on Sunday because it's going to be raining here Friday & Saturday....and want to finish it that same day so I can go back to work on Monday.........
Dwayne
Old 02-26-2009, 04:02 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah that's a motor mount You don't have dual cases do you? That will break a mount real quick. The new mount will probably be abour 1/4" higher than the old one, but they settle pretty quick. I don't know what those little holes are for I chained my mounts down to prevent a broken mount but I have dual cases. More on the chains: https://www.yotatech.com/953113-post101.html

After looking at my old pics I forgot there was that big hole on top of the motor mount bracket. You might be able to get a wrench in there to get that nut on/off. I don't know never tried.

Last edited by mt_goat; 02-26-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm, I would undo the flange bolts to the frame first...even if they're undone the block won't move, the mount to block bolts are straight into the block though. When you get all of them out your block may shift if you don't already have a jack securely under it.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
... When you get all of them out your block may shift if you don't already have a jack securely under it.
Very good point. Also you might bugger up the threads on the last bolt you take out if its holding up half the engine weight.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:54 PM

pic of drivers side mount inside RED circle...notice that the metal stabilizer is not visible(Yellow Arrow) just two round pieces of old rubber

now the passenger side mount inside RED circle...notice the metal stabilizer is visible (Yellow Arrow)

so what happened to the mount?...

Last edited by buckz6319; 02-26-2009 at 03:56 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah that's a motor mount You don't have dual cases do you? That will break a mount real quick. The new mount will probably be abour 1/4" higher than the old one, but they settle pretty quick. I don't know what those little holes are for I chained my mounts down to prevent a broken mount but I have dual cases. More on the chains: https://www.yotatech.com/953113-post101.html

After looking at my old pics I forgot there was that big hole on top of the motor mount bracket. You might be able to get a wrench in there to get that nut on/off. I don't know never tried.
mt goat...thanks for the input....and to answer your question I don't have dual cases.I would like to do some mods later on but not on this 4runner.
I think I'll just drive it into the ground once I fix it for I have no extra money at this point with the economy being bad and... so on... and.. so on

Dwayne
Old 03-01-2009, 06:12 AM

update...I had planned to replace the motor mount today but it is raining and turning into snow this after noon in Ga....March is coming in like a Lion this year.........but next weekend it supposed to be warmer and not snowing so I'll replace the mount then and will update after the test drive

Quick Reply: engine mounts